Do you give Kelvin Taylor a serious look the next two weeks?

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by UFreak, Sep 8, 2013.

1. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +865
    So we have two weeks to get ready for the Vols. we need a spark on offense. I think Matt Jones is a nice back. I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt regarding the game he had yesterday vs. recovery from a viral infection. But I simply have not seen evidence of him being special. I think he is good though.
    We need an offensive spark. Can we get Kelvin up to speed by the Tennessee game? Just from what I saw in spring and game 1, he runs with great vision. Granted, Game 1 he came in when the D was gassed.
    I'm not saying bench Matt Jones. But I am saying replace Brown's carries with Taylor's. And if Taylor proves to be the best back, make him No. 1.

We need something we can depend on or a spark for this offense.
  2. eastowest

eastowest Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +163
    Don't think it matters........got to fix the OL 1st
  3. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +865
    The backs missed several chances to bounce the run outside yesterday. I remember no fewer than three that would have led to nice gains. A back with vision sees that and gets it. Got to understand the cutback lanes.
  4. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +626
    Yes, absolutely he should. Also, take that Burton wildcat play out of the book and set it on fire at midfield.
  5. garygator

garygator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +18
    Absolutely. To win you need greatness, playmakers, guys who make you pay for one missed tackle or assignment. I think sitting freshman on Saturday because they haven't performed flawlessly on Wednesday is a huge mistake. They don't have to start, but a coach's job is to figure out how to get the ball into their hands in some manner.
  6. garygator

garygator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +18
    Ditto on the Burton wildcat.
  7. GatorStang

GatorStang Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +246
    I hate the wildcat play, but don't get rid of it. You need to keep the D honest, and you do that by having Burton throw when all 11 guys are just waiting for him to do his misdirection run (it's the same every god damn time). Throw something short, and little slant or come back, something simple and something you know he can hit. That will make the wildcat MUCH more effective. There needs to be a threat to pass.

Regarding Taylor... Of course he needs to get some reps, but not sure why you think he should take Browns carries. Brown played better than Jones yesterday IMO, but we should be rotating all 4 of our backs, not just 2.
  8. oneatatime

oneatatime Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +255
    SOS used to use Terry Jackson as our third running back when the defense was gassed.

Would have loved to have seen Taylor used the same way yesterday.

That said, the depth of the offensive line has quickly withered away. Losing both tackles in the fourth quarter hurt badly.

Hopefully both will be back against Tennessee along with Halapio
  9. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +865
    I'm not a fan of rotating four backs. Running back is a rhythm position. Hard for a back to establish a rhythm if he is rotating with three others. I think Matt Jones is better than Mack Brown. Two backs getting the carries is the right number, I think. Would like to see If Taylor is special and can make a difference and provide us with some big gainers.
  10. Drewsagator

Drewsagator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    Absolutely.
    His vision and ability to bounce to the outside are better than Jones...
    Jones lowers his head and if their isn't a clear lane to run through he just rams into the pile. I like this about him though as he would be a great set up back for Taylor...pound, pound, pound then bounce.

That being said I don't think Jones was 100 percent yesterday...
  11. BigIgator25

BigIgator25 Member

Ratings Received:
    +92
    Kelvin Taylor is our 2nd best back as far a strictly running. He isn't that far behind Matt Jones either. Brown had ample carries and opportunities to bounce it or cut it back and he either didnt see the lane or just doesn't have the wheels to do it. Just like Robinson and Fullwood should get more reps at receiver. When we were in 4 wide alot they had Clay Burton in...seriously that kid cant catch a cold.
  12. LincolnGator

LincolnGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    I join others who have said they are normally not fans of rotating too many backs. It usually works better when one gets a rhythm going, and you use another one just to spell him and for a change of pace. BUT that's when you're running a conventional offense in the sense that you're balancing your running with passing.

It's become apparent that if we are going anywhere this year it'll be primarily behind a running game. So the way to bring "balance" to an otherwise one-dimensional offense is to sacrifice rhythm in favor of greater variety and unpredictability in the style of runners featured and types of runs called.

So yes, play more running backs and call different plays/formations for them according to their various skill sets. Best and maybe only way to keep defenses guessing this season, in my opinion.
  13. philip214

philip214 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +406
    If he can hold onto the football. If he fumbles in practice, no. We can't afford turnovers as if Georgia and Miami did not prove that already.
  14. garygator

garygator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +18
    The problem with that line of thought is that the upper class men are putting the ball on the ground. All things being equal, give me the fumbler who can also take it all the way.
  15. GreenandScaly

GreenandScaly Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +246
    Jones' fumble led to the Canes' first score. Using WM's practice rules, he should have been pulled in the first quarter. We would have won if he hadn't played. Healthier backups would have pulled this one out, or even turned it into a laugher.
  16. urbangirl

urbangirl Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +80
    I'll bring the matches.....no, flame thrower!
  17. urbangirl

Ratings Received:
    +80
    I'll step back in time......1987......UF vs Miami. Disaster.....we score 5 points (field goal/safety). So miserable and hot.....concession stands ran out of ice (but they had plenty of beer....go figure). Looming next is a trip to Birmingham to play Alabama. Oy! A rainy day @ Legion Field. Emerging from this is a RB by the name of Emmitt Smith. The rest is history. Perhaps it will repeat itself with Kelvin. We'll see.
  18. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +865
    Almost urbangirl. We played Tulsa after Miami and before at Bama. But your point still stands.
  19. urbangirl

Ratings Received:
    +80
    It was Jones' first game back due to illness. Probably not 100% ready. Don't give me this psychological hogwash of "oh, mentally we shouldn't bench a player after a fumble....blah, blah, blah". If it's going to be detrimental to the game.....get him out of there. It's not like we don't have other RBs. Later, if the opportunity presents itself....put him back in game. Tough if mommy and daddy are offended their off spring is on the bench. Their son is playing the game.....not them. BTW....I'm not discounting parental sacrifice for their athletic sons. Glad they do.
  20. LincolnGator

LincolnGator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    As Frank said to Karl in Sling Blade, and Karl said right back to Frank: I like the way you talk. :yes: