Do we have an elite defense?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by philnotfil, Nov 4, 2013.

1. bullish

bullish Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +301
    WE are a pretty good defense. We lost Shariff Floyd, 325 lbs, the refrigerator 2 from Ga, 330 lbs, Easily was a tough tackle, but not big enough to stuff LSU type lines. Our LB's are not big, this can help and hurt. Great DB's. So, all in all, pretty good, but not dominant like last year which we were probably the best in the nation. Smaller linemen and lb's get beat down when our offense is a lot of three and outs. So what will Vandy do? Gash us up the middle and mix it up. We are going to have all we can handle this wkend.
  2. c_gator24

c_gator24 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Cody Riggs

John 14:6
  3. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,441
    Thats called busted coverage, and that was 2 plays, do you remember that we held duke johnson to like 50 yrds? And only gave up 212 of offense. But that was w/ Easley which we were elite with.
  4. gator_chomp

gator_chomp New Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    overrated defense

overrated stable of running backs

overrated recruiting classes

overrated OC

shall i continue
  5. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,087
    Not even Clowney is THAT good. Heck, Wilber marshall wasn't THAT good to turn the best defense in the nation to only a "good" defense."

We don't have the depth other great defensive teams have.
  6. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,047
    I disagree. It was more than his talent. Easely was the heart and soul of the defense. We were the best defense in the country with him and we are just pretty good without him. That doesn't mean I'm saying with him its the best defense in the last 5 years or anything. I just haven't seen any defenses out there that are really that dominant, so it may be saying more about other teams than ours, but I still think its true.
  7. LostReptile

LostReptile New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    lose 1 player and the defense collapses against lsu, missiouri and uga?? :whoa: how about the backup players--aren't they supposed to be good? they were highly recruited stars in high school. what happened?
  8. samit23

samit23 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +378
    That 1 player was very likely the premier DT in the country. By far and away the most important player on any truly great D. Easley was a death blow to the team. W/ him we are top 2. Without him we are top 10.

Lets not forget that we were also missing Powell, Jacobs and Riggs against Mizzou.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  9. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +4,047
    We held LSU to their lowest point total and they only had a little over 300 yards total offense. Against Mizzu we were down Ropo, Jacobs and Riggs as well. Against UGA, most of their points and a good amount of their yards that game was in the first two drive. After that we held them to 3 FGs and all those were in the first half if I remember correctly.

Most of our depth is young or new to the team.

Also, this notion that all highly recruited players can come in and take over for a starter with no drop off is a fantasy. Especially when we are talking about the OL and DL, especially in the SEC.
  10. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    which ones and please continue by explaining
  11. gatorchamps0607

Ratings Received:
    +4,047
    Yeah, I'd like to hear that too.
  12. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +775
    We were a fair defense with Easley, and our stats were skewed by the weak early season schedule. Now without Easley, and playing better teams, we are being exposed as just a so-so defense that's hamstrung by an unproductive offense. Elite Ds don't get consistently gashed like we have this season. Even when we had Easley, scum gashed us in the first qtr. which essentially turned out to be the difference in the game. Georgia did the same, and that was the difference Saturday.
  13. gators8

gators8 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +186
    We don't have an elite anything right now. Defense is poor to fair, offense doesn't exist and special teams are fair at best.
  14. Crocodilian

Crocodilian Member

Ratings Received:
    +20

I feel like you expect a shutout every game. Even good defense give up points sometimes. When we had Easley this D was great. Now we are merely above average.
  15. broncogators

broncogators Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    We did, that was before the injury bug.
  16. xenythx

xenythx Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,117
    I think we did have an elite defense with Easley. Once Easley went down we still had a good defense with elite players at certain positions. But once we lost to LSU, our defense started to mail it in, particularly the secondary.

And it's weird, it seems like Muschamp is great at making halftime adjustments on defense, but the defense we come out of the gate with is always passive and gives up points.
  17. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    where do you see us mailing it in in the secondary? Watching the UGA game they barley went at the CB's. They went at VH3 in his match up vs Bennett and they went at the LB's.
  18. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +775
    Amazing that you were able to infer that from my comment which never said I expect us to win any game by shutout, much less every game. This defense was never great this year. We had some great moments, but that didn't mean the defense was great. We did in fact get gashed by scum, we did in fact get gashed by uga as well. Those slow 1st qtr starts by our defense were the differences in both games, and Easley played against scum. The biggest problem for this team this year is the unrealistic expectations people had for them. They lost loads of talent from last year's defense coupled with a poor offense, and it is what it is. I picked them to be a 7-5 team before the season started and at best, that's about as good as they are.
  19. red4512

red4512 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +432
    The stats were overinflated since the opponets O up until LSU were below average.
    Easley made the D a very good D, but not an elite. CB/S were too small and gave up long passes during the first few games. Now I would call them a average D at best esp since the other team usually takes the 1st drive to a TD. Like a prev poster pointed out with a gimpy UGA back and 2 first 1/4 TDs and the D during last 8 minutes of the UGA game was heinous, pathetic and deplorable.
  20. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    What small CB's do we have on the team? We have a small safety. I guess the question is what do you categorize as an elite d?