Do we finish with 5 loses?

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by traubgator, Oct 13, 2013.

1. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +79
    This season has been stranger than most as there have been very few big games so far until this weekend. There are still A LOT of unanswered questioned with a lot of teams. However after watching yesterday's games here are a couple thoughts:

1. UF's defense is really good to really, really good, but not great. The loss of Easley is going to hurt for the rest of the season. I think the middle of UF's DLine is not as strong as it was with Easley as the remaining players don't require the same amount of attention. (That is not a hit on them but shows how good Easley is.)

2. This is not the same offense as last year. I saw a lot of posters on SG saying how they would hold LSU to under 20 and that would be enough for UF's offense. While I thought those posts were overly optimistic on what LSU's offense would score, they were right. However, the same posters said that UF's offense would be able to score more as LSU's defense was not that good. From my view it appears that UF's offense is not as good as some here have thought and that means UGA's and USCe's defense will probably be able to give UF's offense the same level of effort.

3. Mizzo had a lot of things fall their way against UGa and that won't happen next week. Basically, UGa pulled a Clemson and now Mizzo thinks they are better than they actually are. With a back up QB, UF's defense rolls and Murphy does well enough to win comfortably.

4. The UGa game is a toss up based on injuries and the the fact is a rivalry game.

5. Vandy at home is a win because UF knows they can beat Vandy while Vandy hopes they can beat UF.

6. USCe is probably a loss based on the game being at USCe and SOS really wanting to beat UF. (The fact that USCe beat Arky by a lot isn't completely due to UF beating them up last week. It is a factor but not THE factor.)

7. FSU @ UF - No clue. We'll see how FSU does versus Clemson. We'll revisit this one next Sunday. Still to early to know if FSU is really legit.

I think UF ends up either 7-4 or more likely 8-3 going into the FSU game.

I still think that is a good year for CWM. The fact he went 11-2 last year is probably a bad thing for him as UF fans started to expect everything to fall their way like last year. If you switch last year and this year, then most UF fans are happy and feel the team and program is progressing. Next year the big SEC East games are at home and CWM has a good shot at going to Atlanta and winning as 'Bama & TAMU will be down.
  2. tommyuf21

tommyuf21 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +578
    Can they score 17? That's all they needed last year....

I think we can split these games, but our defense is going to have to take one or two of the Aaron Murray or Connor Shaw gifts to the house to do it.
  3. LostReptile

LostReptile New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    but, you can't switch years--the team is worse this year than last year.
  4. fairfaxgator

fairfaxgator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
  5. benheb

benheb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +397
    ^this. Voice of reason amid typical wining crap.

LSU is good and played lights out yesterday. Their defense is young but getting better and showed it. We lose next week and I'll join the neigh stayers and we are an injury away from catastrophe and should be mediocre because of them anyway. We should beat Missouri and nut lickers. We have a good chance to make it to Atl.

We got beat yesterday. We will have to learn to beat the blitz. I saw several plays that would have worked if qb and receiver were on same page. Should get better as Murpy's experience gets closer to double digits. I don't expect miracles but we have a good chance.
  6. benheb

benheb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +397
    We could if Murphy goes down but I agree with you that is ridiculous otherwise. Nobody remembers these six loss predictions - I'm sure there was a lot of them last year.

Easley loss bugs me... Did we even touch mettinberger or whatever his name is?
  7. Pieisyummy

Pieisyummy Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +84
    I think the rational, conservative assumption is yes. We probably lose 3 of the 4 of Mizzou, Georgia, South Carolina, and FSU. Vanderbilt will probably be a close game.
  8. Pieisyummy

Pieisyummy Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +84
    Fowler had a good day overall, and surely you remember Mettenberger limping.
  9. benheb

benheb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +397
    yes, I remember that. I also remember we hit him late once. I know we didn't sack him but we did get close a few times. Seemed like every time we brought the heat, they had a quick pass called.

We tried to do that also on offense but couldn't. Had a couple of near interceptions because of miscommunication between receiver and qb. It remains to be seen if we can learn or if other defenses will be as good as LSU's. I think it a bit of both in that we will get better and we're not likely to face a rush like that for awhile.

But I'm an optimistic - old timey Gator. Cut my teeth in the seventies and eighties. I remember when Spurrier left and we couldn't get the time of day from any established coach. Then I remember we had our pick and got the hottest coach in the country - Urban Meyer. I think Muschamp is more of a diamond in the rough and if we just give him a little time... But like I said, I'm an optimist - Muschamp earned the right for a few more years in my book last year. But with the new breed of gator fans, it won't take much for the noise in the system to start to take it's toll.
  10. ovillegator

ovillegator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +789
    UYes, but unfortunately too late... great hit by one of our blitzers. On his last series, he was limping badly.
  11. gottapanda

gottapanda Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +138
    10 losses minimum. I don't even know why most of you follow the team. Are you this miserable and negative about everything in your lives?
  12. Pieisyummy

Pieisyummy Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +84
    It's not our entire lives so we needn't pretend it's going perfectly when we scored many times less than Miss St or UAB or Kent St against LSU.
  13. fairfaxgator

fairfaxgator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    No...but nice try...