Do any of you guys know anything about Diamond Prospects?

Discussion in 'Around the Horn - Baseball & Men's Gator Sports!' started by dadx4, Sep 17, 2013.

1. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +773
    They have an open invitation for a weekend in Columbia, supposedly there will be college and pro scouts there. I don't know if I want to take Will or not he's just a freshman but freshmen are invited for this one.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver Member

Ratings Received:
    +32
    "Just a Freshman" doesn't seem to matter anymore as colleges seem to target these kids at younger and younger ages. It used to be that your Junior year was your big year to be seen but I don't think that's true any longer.

As to the showcase itself, having done the travel ball circuit for a decade or so, I find that too many of these things are fundraisers. The Perfect game events in East Cobb Georgia and Fort Myers as well as the events in Jupiter were always the best opportunities to be seen. They also have events based on the kid's high school graduation year so that the talent evaluators are watching your kid compete against kids of the same age and in the same class. If you have a freshman out there with juniors and seniors, unless he is an absolute stud, it will be tough to make an impression.
  3. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +577
    Not familiar with this organization, but if the price is low I would say it is good to get him some showcase experience. Run the 60, take I/O, get a few swings....it is hard to stand out but at a minimum he will know what to work on and will be more comfortable next event.
    Don't spend hundreds of dollars though. Down here there are numerous showcases in the $150 range that have multiple college coaches attending. If you have some schools already targeted then check where their staff will be at. As Matside mentioned, LOTS of kids commit as sophs and several as freshmen.
  4. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +773
    It's $160, they will evaluate all the kids, no matter the grade and tell them what to work on especially the fresh/sophomores. They are going to do the 60 I/O and bullpen, then on Saturday night they are going to do "undrafted seniors" in scrimmage games. On Sunday from 9 pm to 6am it's baseball games all day for the underclassmen. It sounded pretty good to me, they only have 3 "open" invites but the rest are invite only.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +577
    Reasonable price and limited numbers sounds like a good option for you....I would give it a shot.
  6. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +773
    We are, I will let you guys know how it goes.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +773
    We just got back, it was a great experience....Will did very well, he was one of 4 freshmen there. They started with the 60 yard sprint which he's slow but then they did defensive drills and at 1st base Will got everything....the best I have seen him play at first. In bullpen he did pretty good, he hung in there with the older kids, his fastball did hit 70, I would just like to see him get in the mid 80's by the time he graduates. They had about 20 college "scouts" there....I was very impressed by the number of them that were there. Saturday night they had the senior game that was kids that haven't been picked up yet, I heard one kid was throwing 93. Today was the freshmen through juniors that they teamed up into 6 different teams. Will's team lost 5-4 but it was neat seeing kids that played for different schools across the state and play as one team. Will picked a kid off at first base when he played first base, then pitching he picked a guy off with his pickoff move that he had just walked. He only pitched one inning because he was the only freshman pitcher out there but he struck out 2 juniors and walked the one kid and gave up one hit in one inning. Not bad for his first trip. He did get two hits in his two at bats but one was hard hit to the short stop and the other was hard hit to the 2nd baseman.

I was really impressed with the way they ran it, everything was perfect. I don't know if he will get any interest but he had a great time and two other kids from his school were there but they were on a different team. We plan on going again next year.
  8. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +773
    He is now getting some interest from some of the smaller schools, they have sent letters saying they liked what they saw and they want him to come to their camps now so the staffs can see him.

Coastal Carolina, USC Sumter, College of Charleston and Spartanburg Methodist.
  9. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +577
    Narrow down to some schools he likes and that you think are a fit athletically and academically....and do their camps. Great way to meet the staff and let them meet you.
  10. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +773
    He really wants to go to Coastal Carolina but he's still a freshman, we will be at Coastal's camp the week after this one. There will also be 20 other colleges coaches there checking out the kids. It's my understanding that if you aren't "picked up" by your senior year that the odds of you playing the next level are extremely small.
  11. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +577
    The "big" schools in the Southeast fill out their classes early and then the smaller schools start after that. My son didn't get his first offers until summer before senior year and is still picking up opportunities, mostly high level D2. Received one yesterday and will get a couple more next week. Bear in mind that "baseball" money is limited at all schools so they have to put together packages that include academic money or other scholarships.
    Even the big schools will look at guys later on as they possibly lose guys out of their classes to the draft. Sometimes waiting longer to commit/sign pays off with a better opportunity.
  12. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +773
    This is great to know, thank you.
  13. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +773
    We are going to Coastal Carolina this weekend 12/8, they want the rest of the staff to see him but all total there will be 20 universities there including UNC and NC State. Should be interesting.
  14. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +577
    Good luck...and remember it's all about velocity on the mound.
    We were just laughing about a showcase last month....they played 2 games, each pitcher took one inning and faced 5 batters. Pitching dominated as might be expected, but one kid just threw heat and could not find the plate....walked all 5 batters he faced. Guess which guy got pulled aside an offered at the end of the day.
  15. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +773
    Really? That's just crazy....with Will, his fast ball is only at 70 right now but he's just 14. He pitched one inning as well and he struck out two and gave up one hit and then picked off a guy at first after he walked him. Sometimes I think he does it on purpose to walk guys to see if he can pick them off.
  16. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +577
    At 14 they will see how he projects, assume he will add a certain number of mph to his fastball each year and see how close to 90 he will be.
  17. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +773
    They can do that? I have been taking him to a former gator player to help him with his pitching and he told me that if Will can get in the mid 80's with him being a lefty pitcher that he would get drafted....I told him I just want him to go to college...lol
  18. apkgator

apkgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +577
    Yep, being lefty will bump him up every board.Our travel team had some lefties in the low 80s get good schollie money while some righties in the mid 80s are still looking. Once they bump 90 then the attention really begins.
  19. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +773
    This is good to know, now I know why Shane was saying he wants Will in the mid 80's before he graduates.
  20. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +773
    It's amazing how they can do this. I would love for him to see 90, his travel ball coach calls him a "rhythm pitcher"....do you know what that is? I can guess but I would be wrong...lol