Do a Sport!

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by oI2ange, Feb 24, 2012.

1. oI2ange

oI2ange Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +107
    So I'm not sure how many of you are like me- you just don't enjoy lifting much. Maybe you find it boring. Maybe you don't like the atmosphere of it all. Maybe there are a billion other reasons.

But just because you don't like to lift doesn't mean you can't find other ways to get healthy. Do a sport!

I love doing sports and activities for my workout. My current passion right now is rock climbing- it's an insanely great workout and it's a ton of fun. The reasons why I like doing sports is that they are:

-Oftentimes, sports are full body workouts- you're going to be working multiple muscle groups at once. Playing basketball, mountain biking, rock climbing, swimming, etc etc- you're going to be using alot of different muscles. You can obviously do the same in lifting (squats, dead lifts, etc).

-Advancement outside of the sport itself- When I lift and I get good at it, where do I go from there? Perhaps power lifting competitions...But not too much else. If I do a sport, there are oftentimes outdoor opportunities for me. Love ultimate frisbee? Go join a league. Enjoy biking? You can try mountain biking outdoors. Swimming alot? Try scuba diving or snorkeling. Rock climbing indoors in the gym? Go outside and go climb a mountain. Love jiu jitsu? You can compete in tournaments all around.

There are a billion other examples I can state as well. Doing a sport can usually lead to something else; something more meaningful and fun. Different goals as well- for lifting, my new goals were obviously new lifting records. This was great and I enjoyed it whenever I hit a new high. But now that I've been doing sports, I have a billion new goals in many different areas (new climbing destinations, new climbing achievements, etc).

-Above all: It's FUN! I never could have imagined that rock climbing would become one of my super obsessions in life. Never before have I felt such a love or enjoyment for a sport like this in my adult life. If you really grow to enjoy your sport, it can really take over your life and give you an passion. So often do I hear "oh...my hobbies...I don't really have any...I'm a boring person". That's just sad to me- you can do so much and increase your happiness alot.

I haven't lifted in a serious manner in years. I doubt I'll start back up again, too. This thread isn't a knock on lifting either- I think lifting is a great way to get in shape and a great way to build muscle/get healthy. But if you're struggling with your lifting or you don't like it for whatever reason, try to pick up a sport that you enjoy. Some recent sports I've taken up are rock climbing, brazilian jiu jitsu, running, biking, swimming (scuba diving in the past), and hiking.

I've been climbing for a few years now and have gone around the world climbing-

Colorado-

[​IMG]

Yosemite-

[​IMG]

Rio-
    [​IMG]

Thailand-
    [​IMG]

Some others in South America, etc etc etc.

But yeah...find a sport! It'll help your fitness a ton (if you're dedicated)...I promise.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +806
    I think it's great to have an active pursuit like you do. I envy you. If I lived in or near a mountainous area I'd probably try my hand at climbing too. In fact, my wife does it every chance she gets when she's on business trips.

I also agree with you that it may not be necessary to actually 'work out' either. When you think about it, exercise is a niche activity peculiar to modern Westerners. Presumably we do it as a surrogate for the sort of strenuous activity we are no longer required to do.

That said, for general strength and conditioning, I would maintain that strength training is BY FAR the most time-efficient activity. One of the reasons people burn out on it is because they do stupidly excessive levels of it.
  3. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +344
    Climbing looks awesome and I think its a great combination of enjoyment and physical challenge.

I happen to love the gym, been a gym rat since I was a freshman in high school. I was of course better in the weight room than I was in sports and realized that by sophomore year.

I think I will always lift, but I do like to try play sports of some kind when given the opportunity. When I was in DC I played in a softball and flag football league. Never got into the kickball or dodgeball craze though. Problem for me is that I travel so much and have moved away from most of my friends so those team sports are out.

There is an indoor rock climbing gym here in Vegas that my sister and I have been considering, maybe its time to go check it out.
  4. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +693
    I like to do NASCAR as my sport *runs away*
  5. BossaGator

BossaGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +387
    Totally agree. I play soccer and flag football in addition to my workouts.
  6. oI2ange

oI2ange Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +107
    http://www.redrockclimbingcenter.com/

this place is pretty sick...i've been several times when i've been in vegas. highly recommended.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +344
    Thanks. Ill definitely check it out.
  8. G8rChuck85

G8rChuck85 Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,709
    Loved the pics you posted in the pub picture gallery oI2ange.

While I still love golf and the occasional pickup basketball game. What I started doing for the last 4 or 5 years is a lot of hiking/backpacking. We love going up to N. Georgia and hiking on the Appalachian trail. We'll go for a long weekend trip all the way up to a full week of hiking and camping. We'll then get shuttled back to our car and head back to good ol' Florida.
  9. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +806
    Envy you guys with hills and mountains.
  10. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +344
    The mountains are one of my favorite things about living out west now. I havent even been hiking since October and that was in Alaska. I just like knowing they are there, though I definitely need to head out again one of these weekends now that the weather is getting really nice. Dont have too much longer before the desert is unbearable.