1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

Disturbing Trend in recruiting.

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by gators1422, Jun 18, 2014.

1. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,280
    Yup ! Someone's late to the party....... slacker. :cool:
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,971
    Believe me, I can play catch up. :)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +3,280
    1 shot...2 shot...3 shot......floooooor
    • Funny Funny x 2
  4. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,920
    What occurs to me is that if I'm a HC who finds players who have all the measurables AND FOOTBALL ACUMEN then it's probably going to work out just fine IF my staff can train players in systems and at positions. If I recruit players solely on measurables I'm probably going to come up short more than I would like. So I'm not that concerned if staffs look at measurables but hope our staff makes sure they have players with the wherewithal to play the game with a high level of intelligence.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Briang8r

Briang8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +637
    Chris Westry just committed to Auburn.
  6. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,971
    Interesting.

So now the gloom and doomers can gnash teeth about whether we let a freak athlete get stolen from us... as opposed to gnashing teeth about taking a 3* guy who hasn't shown a lot on film.

That's the thing about recruiting - there's always a big dark cloud hiding behind every silver lining. :D
    • Funny Funny x 2
  7. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +3,280
    As they say "damned if you do, damned if you don't"
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. ctresh

ctresh Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +673
    We must not have been as high on his list as we though if he chose to commit just one day before FNL. One would think that he would have waited until after this weekend to make a decision.
  9. LurkerExposed

LurkerExposed Member

Ratings Received:
    +37
    Not all of the process involves looking at highlight tape....HS coaches or even the players themselves put together those highlight tapes to show the best plays those prospects have. But it is only some 1%-5% of all plays they make in high school. Perhaps the only tapes out on the kid shouldn't really be labeled as "highlights", because they were poorly put-together...

Hopefully all they do is - along with the physical measurables - get the recruiting coaches' attention, so he can begin his actual evaluations. How many times did the prospect vist UF and participate in summer camps? Did he do this last offseason as a rising junior? Did the coaches go to his school and watch practices there? Did they watch him play in his HS games? Did they keep up with how well he did at 7-on-7s and combines?

If the UF coaches did even a portion of the above, then they saw enough of him performing with the pads and uniforms on, and against live opponents in actual games. Then those highlight tapes are really meaningless from the point on after getting their eyes turned in his direction. And even if the prospect performs poorly or average at FNL, it may still not matter: some highly recruited prospects attend those things and don't even dress out and participate, because the coaches already know what they got in the kid...
    • Creative Creative x 1