Disturbing Trend in recruiting.

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by gators1422, Jun 18, 2014.

1. gators1422

gators1422 Member

Ratings Received:
    +44
    I coach high school football so I probably have a slightly different view than some but the way recruiting is done now is questionable to me. It seems that coaches at UF and many other places don't actually consider if a kid can actually play when the pads are on. They see a kid in shorts and a T shirt with good measurables and good 40 and boom we need that kid. Never mind playing against far less competion the kid did not stand out on Friday nights. Not to single this kid out, but look at the latest offer. Chris Westry, watch his film. Never mind his height, weight 40 time and all that. You watch his film and tell me that kid makes you say wow. Not saying the kid isn't good but, I didn't see anything other than routine plays. I just think sometimes coaches get caught up on what is flashy or looks good rather than actual production.
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,054
    "Trust the coaches".

We'll see if other big schools offer, and hopefully he has to come to camp(s). I imagine the offer is conditional. If he's that good, other schools will be offering.
  3. gators1422

gators1422 Member

Ratings Received:
    +44
    He camped today, that's why they offered. 6'4 185, 4.41 40, 37" vertical, 10'3 broad jump. Freak athletic numbers. My deal is if I told you I had a kid with those meaurables then showed you his tape something ain't right.
  4. ltraz

ltraz Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +240
    So you don't think we should offer a 6'4" CB with potential? Maybe only offer less athletic kids that have a ceiling, but at least we won't have to coach them?
  5. gators1422

gators1422 Member

Ratings Received:
    +44
    Did you watch his hudl film??? Just curious which play you saw that made you say wow??
  6. oakgator

oakgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +143
    I guess they plan to teach wow?
  7. ctresh

ctresh Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +812
    Recruiting now a days is all about the projectability of a player. You can't teach height and you can't teach speed, those are god-given abilities. Maybe this kid had god hands and we plan on turning him into a receiver, who knows. But a kid who's 6'4 185, and runs a 4.41 40 typically doesn't come along every day, so when he doesn you almost have to pick him up.
  8. gators1422

gators1422 Member

Ratings Received:
    +44
    I realize its all about potential now, that is what is disturbing. I mean when a kid doesn't make plays is high school should we really be shocked when he doesn't make any in college??? Watch the film and you tell me that if you didn't know his workout #'s would you think you want him?? I talked to a coach the other day about this, he coaches at Tenn State. He took Greg Reid's high school film to his head coach and told him he found a good player. Told him he was 5'8 175 and showed him the film. His head coach watched it and said "he is good but not sure we want him if he is 5'8. " Then he tells the coach that's Greg Reid started at FSU . His point was either you can play or not. Again not trying to beat up on this kid, but just thought I would bring it up
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Gator1865

Gator1865 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +86
    This is dumb. All you need to do is look at the results of this type of recruiting and you will realize that it works.

Nick Saban and his coaching tree all follow a similar manner of recruiting where they have certain requirements for positions (height, weight, speed, combine measurements, etc.) and a player must meet these to weed him down to someone that they will look at. Looks like it has worked four out of the last five yours for the NATIONAL CHAMPION.

Does potential sometimes fail? Of course, look at Steven Alli who was a physical specimen and just didn't shake out. But does that mean coaches shouldn't take Bello, Holley, Lewis, etc. who are all guys who are very raw and need a lot of work but have great potential.

If I were to guess you are the coach of a player who has been turned down based on "being 5'8" or being too skinny and are upset that the big boys didn't recruit him because you think "he can play".
  10. gators1422

gators1422 Member

Ratings Received:
    +44
    Look I understand the concept of needing to fall in a certain criteria to be looked at, but my hang up is just because he looks good in shorts and a t shirt doesn't mean he can play. I think you'll find that Saban or Meyer or whoever didn't win those titles on the backs of a bunch of guys with upside or potential. They won with a bunch of 5 star kids who to go along with the potential had been making plays all throughout high school. The recruiting services obviously looked at this kids film and gave him a 2 star rating. I'm sure its based on his film, because if it were based on 6'4 185, 4.41 40, and a 37 inch vertical he would be a 4 star. That's all I am really saying.
  11. ltraz

ltraz Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +240
    1422, I'm not completely disagreeing with you. No one is mentioning Justus Reed from our last class bc of his measurables, but I think he's a football player. Reminds me a lot of Ball coming out of highschool. However, I also don't think you can have pure talent without the measurables in the SEC. The Ahmad Blacks are the exceptions and he's no slouch in the athletics department.

Judging anyone, good or bad, based off their highlight film is pointless. All I can tell by his film is he doesn't mind bumping with no help and he can get an underneath pic after crossing the field (with help)...that's it. But all you can ever take from highlight films is potential bc what you don't see is what's important. That's why our staff usually doesn't offer people that don't camp (we didn't offer a highly ranked DE from FL last cycle bc he didn't camp I think) and I assume our staff saw something that makes them think he's coachable.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. cholz17

cholz17 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +95
    1422, Its tough to look at high school film. Coaches call plays and set formations. Receivers are reliant on their QB's. We don't even know how many of his games were filmed. But most important, High School film can't reflect this young man's character. I want

He still had to perform at our camp to receive that offer.
  13. phideltdj

phideltdj Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +801
    I tend to agree as more and more college coaches have told me they would recruit a freak athlete if they feel they can coach them up...some freak athletes are uncoachable and that is why you see them fail.
  14. gator_n_sc

gator_n_sc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,391
    Some HS offensive and defensive schemes hinder some kids skills. They don't often have the luxury of going to a system that fits them. They are determined by where they live. Our staff wants that kid at safety, which at 6'4 and 4.4 speed of he can add some size, that's a hell of a frame for a safety with speed. If there is one position I don't question in recruiting it is defensive back. Our staff knows a good db when they see one. Hell they have a stable of good backs to compare to right on our roster.
    • Agree Agree x 3
  15. Briang8r

Briang8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +826
    I agree with this. Plus you never know, the kid could put on enough weight in a couple years to play OLB or even Buck. With his speed, that would be ridiculous.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. gatorright

gatorright Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +118
    Wasn't Jevon Kearse recruited as a long safety?
  17. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +3,391
    Kearse was a beast. Plain and simple
  18. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,384
    From what's on his HUDL clips, he played a lot of CB last year, primarily locked up in man, where they didn't throw his way. He often came off his man to make the tackle on a receiver or RB, and showed good closing speed and tenacity. If he was clearly the best CB on his team, it wouldn't be a surprise that teams just didn't challenge him that much and limited the number of plays he could make.

Tough to tell how well he'd do as a safety without seeing many snaps there, but I imagine the coaches looked at him there in camp.

I'm with you on kids sometimes getting underrated and not getting offers because of measurables. If they're players and you can tell, offer them. Brandon James is a guy who comes to mind, who most people here thought was just recruited to get his cousin on board, but if you watched him on film, you knew he was a player.

Anyway, not sure if this guy Westry has a committable offer or ends up here, but he made the plays that were there to be made (in his highlight reel admittedly), and at least a few tackles coming off his man that other CBs wouldn't have made. With his measurables, and I presume good performances in camp, I can see why he was offered.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. gator_n_sc

Ratings Received:
    +3,391
    Oh stop it !. Just stop it. There ya go wit all that there makin' sense and such. Look here foot loose, all that logical thinkin ain't tolerated round these here parts. We look at as blasphemy if you hear what I'm sayin. So you go mosey along now. :)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +8,384
    I just started drinking.... I should be with the program shortly. :D
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1