Disney Cruise St. Johns/ Thomas

Discussion in 'The GatorTail Pub' started by g8trdoc, Oct 21, 2013.

1. g8trdoc

g8trdoc Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +200
    I'm going on a Disney Cruise in a few weeks that has a stop in St. Johns/St. Thomas. They only give us about 7-8 hours. We also are going to St. Marteen. I have two children 2 and 4 so things would need to be kid friendly. Any advice?
  2. G8trGr8t

G8trGr8t Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,716
    http://www.coralworldvi.com/

St. John is real nice but you will spend 3 hours or so of your time in transit to and from the cruise ship from what I remember
  3. The_Ultimate_Gator

The_Ultimate_Gator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +190
    I did what sounds like the same cruise about 2 years ago.

St. Maarten was okay. We hired some local tour van to take us around and the first stop was a cockfighting arena. They were supposed to be showing us the local iguana population but we were all like, "What are all these chickens doing in these cages?" They weren't laying eggs, that's for sure.

Also, the nude beach isn't all it's cracked up to be. Don't know what you're expecting, but it's not "good naked."

When we got to St. Thomas, we decided to skip it and go right to St. John. As you might have figured out by now, the Disney boat will let you off at St. Thomas and from there you have to take a taxi and then a ferry to got to St. John.

I heartily recommend it if you like peace and quiet. St. John has a couple of resorts on it, but for the most part it's pretty quiet and the beaches are beautiful. There are some tourists but since there's no cruise ships docking there, it's a lot more tranquil.

There's an underwater snorkeling trail at Trunk Bay that can be fun for kids and adults (you can rent snorkeling gear nearby).

The island is pretty small and you can get a taxi to take you anywhere you want to go - but aside from beaches and hiking trails, there's not much to it. There's not much shopping. There's a decent bar/restaurant called Skinny Legs where you can get a decent burger and a beer.

If you plan it right, you should be able to spend the day at St. John and get back to your ship in plenty of time.
  4. ufhomerj31

ufhomerj31 Member

Ratings Received:
    +67
    Disney lets you carry on your own booze. They have fountain sodas so you can do your own mixers.
  5. bakaduin

bakaduin Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +711
    Wen't to Saint Marteen and just set up shop on the beach for the day. Some of the most beautiful water I've ever seen. Walked to shops a bit as well.
  6. fairfaxgator

fairfaxgator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    We are thinking of the Disney Dream 4-night cruise to the Bahamas from Port Canaveral in April...

Any one been on that cruise and that ship?
  7. MtownGator

MtownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +246
    Please get and post some video from the fence of the St Marteen airport- never been there , but have heard crazy things about how close their airport is to the beach.
    This place is on my list to visit for sure
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAfQwDizpRo
  8. The_Ultimate_Gator

The_Ultimate_Gator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +190
    Yeah, I've been on that one - both the ship and the cruise.

4 nights is a good getaway. Anything longer than that and I start to get antsy about being on the ship.

I like Disney cruises because (a) I have kids; and (b) Castaway Cay. I am not a fan of shopping in the Bahamas or doing most of the tourist stuff there so when we first go to Nassau, I stay on the boat and relax, watch the kids play in the pool. When the boat gets to Castaway Cay, we get to chill out on the beach without all the other cruise ship crowds (although depending on what time of year you go, one ship full of tourists can also try my patience - I'm not a "people person").

The Dream is okay, but I prefer Disney's two smaller ships. The Dream and the Fantasy are bigger than the Magic and the Wonder and that means more people. I found the Dream to be a little too crowded for my taste, although the restaurants, bars, theaters, etc. are comparable among all the ships.

The Dream does have the AquaDuck, an enclosed water slide that juts out a bit over the water and gives you a ride high above the ship itself, but that's really the only major difference (apart from size). Next time we go, I'm going to go on one of the smaller ships.

I'm not a big drinker, but I found the drinks served at dinner on the Disney cruises to be pretty watered down. They do have good wine at their fancy restaurant, Palo, though.
  9. baygator1

baygator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,579
    Just did that cruise earlier this month on that ship. Awesome experience for the whole family. We'll definitely do it again. I can give more details if you're interested.
  10. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta

Ratings Received:
    +1,710
    Thats the only downside to cruises, you don't get to spend enough time at each stop.
  11. fubar1

fubar1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +459
    What are the higher-end cruise ships that hit the Bahamas?