Director's Cup update

Discussion in 'Around the Horn - Baseball & Men's Gator Sports!' started by oragator1, May 19, 2013.

1. wingtee

wingtee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +426
    I guess because I can.. Next ?
  2. BigCroc

BigCroc Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +233
    I would bet most Gator fans (but obviously not all) care that UF is doing well in the preeminent measure of overall collegiate athletic program success. Most also are happy to see UF annually sweep the SEC men's, women's and combined athletic trophies.
  3. wingtee

Ratings Received:
    +426
    Of course I'm happy that UF excels across the athletic landscape but I get no excitement in a stupid Cup that 98% of America does not know or care about. Congrats for you and Iowa being in the 2%. Now go off and find yourself a bumper sticker when UF wins it.
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  4. buckeyegator

buckeyegator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +26
    this year just shows you how much the stars have to allign for florida, or anyone else, to beat out stanford. as long as the have 5 or6 sports that most of the others do not have, and are akkowed to recieve points for them when most of those sports have about 15-20 schools, they can have an off year in other sports, unlike here, where 1 win in baseball regionals, the womens team making the ncaa, 1 win in mens tennis would have pushed us over the top. i know in this economy it is hard to add sports, especially ones that other sec schools do not have, but what about womens field hockey, already have 2 venues to choose from for usage( soccer and lacrosse stadiums), plus seems fairly cheap on equipment.
  5. allanhovey

allanhovey Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +113
    Stanford sponsors 37 sports, although I don't believe all of them qualify for Director's
    Cup. I'm pretty sure they have some rule about how many schools compete. eg I don't think Auburn gets any points for their national champion equestrian teams.

Ohio State also sponsors 37 sports and does well in the Director's Cup but does not
    seriously challenge Stanford ( I don't think; could be wrong). I haven't checked
    but I think the Ivy League schools sponsor lots of sports. (edit: Harvard = 40 sports)

Having a lot of sports is definitely an advantage in the Cup, but it also helps Stanford
    that they are real good in most of them.
  6. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +613
    I'll buy one for them, and then one for you that says "I'm a Douche"
  7. wingtee

Ratings Received:
    +426
    Really original !! Proud of ya Biff