Director's Cup update

Discussion in 'Around the Horn - Baseball & Men's Gator Sports!' started by oragator1, May 19, 2013.

1. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,637
    Thought I would give a quick breakdown on where we stand with some of the summer sports starting to finish up. Looks safe as IowaGator pointed out a few weeks ago that our top 10 streak will continue, and should be close to last year's finish depending on baseball in particular.
    First some background, 10th place last year was 979 points, Stanford won it with 1448 and we were second with 1310.

Coming into the spring sports we had 748.5 points. Here is what we have so far for spring, including today's results:

Men's tennis - 25 points, no additional can be earned.
    WLAX - 60 points, no additional can be earned.
    Women's Tennis - Guaranteed 83, possible of 100.
    Women's golf - 50 guaranteed, possible of 100.
    Men's golf- 44 guaranteed, possible of 100.
    Women's softball - 64 guaranteed, possible of 100.
    Men's baseball - 0 guaranteed (if we make the tournament we get 25 for sure), possible of 100
    Men's track - 0 guaranteed, possible of 100.
    Women's track - 0 guaranteed, possible of 100.

So that puts us with a guaranteed 1074.5 points already, without a single point from baseball or either of the track teams, plus the possible points remaining in golf, W Tennis and softball.

All in all, another awesome year.
  2. srqgtr

srqgtr Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +429
    Where does that put us in relation to other teams?
  3. IowaGator

IowaGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +268
    My speculation would be second behind Stanford.
  4. BigCroc

BigCroc Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +275
    Looks great - again. Do you have a feel for how the men/women project in the Capital One Cup?
  5. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,637
    By the way, we are in good shape relative to FSU as well:
    Coming into the spring we had a 134 point lead on them, we got the additional 60 for LAX that they can't get, we outscored them in W tennis by 58 points, we tied them in men's tennis, we will outscore them by at least a few in women's golf, so by my count we are probably 260 points or so up on them right now (w golf scoring is kinda hard to decipher and there is one day left in the tournament which they didn't make and we have nowhere to go but up).

So with what's left:

W softball where we both have 64 points from a possible 100, most they could make up is 36 but we could also stretch it a bit more too with a good run
    Women's golf where we could stretch it out a few more with a good last day but at worst 8-10 points probably to the good
    Men's golf where the most they could make up is around 55 points but we are ranked almost identically
    Baseball (our biggest achilles heal right now) where they could make up up to 100
    Men's and Women's track which are worth 100 each but where we are ranked ahead of them on both sides

Would take a pretty unique set of circumstances for our streak of finishing ahead of them not to continue.
  6. DougCN

DougCN New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    I looked at the numbers today and I think we are actually projected to edge Stanford for first place! If both Stanford and Florida finish where they are ranked currently in each sport, then Florida will end up with 1,266 points and Stanford will end up with 1,236 points. I'll admit this was my first crack at projecting final points but I think I am fairly close to the actual projection. I only projected UF and Stanford so not sure if there is some other team that could sneak into the top spot. I guess the downside to my calculation is that we are projected to do really well in several more sports. Based just on the most recent rankings/seedings, that would mean softball #2, Men's track #4 and Women's Track #3. We could lose points in all three of these if we don't meet our high expectations.
  7. enviroGator

enviroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +280
    Somehow I think you might have something wrong... but if not that would be AMAZING!!!

I had given up on anyone ever catching Stanford.
  8. DougCN

DougCN New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    I was thinking that too until I started looking at some of the comparisons to last year. We finished 134 points behind Stanford last year. In the Mens sports alone they will finish 64 points worse in baseball, 48 points worse in M Tennis and about 25 points worse in each M indoor T/F, W indoor T/F and Mens Golf. That is a 187 point drop in Men's sports alone. I could try and go into more details on my numbers but would probably just confuse everyone, including myself. I ran through the numbers because I found an article on Stanford's Scout.com sight that says UF is now on pace to beat Stanford by 60 points. I can't read the article because I am not subscribed but made me think twice.

http://stanford.scout.com/a.z?s=18&...dURL=http://stanford.scout.com/2/1292748.html
    Stanford has won the Directors’ Cup 18 years straight. But with spring sports in full postseason swing, The Bootleg has crunched the latest results and Florida is on pace to beat Stanford by nearly 60 points. Read on for the details.
  9. enviroGator

enviroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +280
    I hope your right, that would be TOTALLY AWESOME!!!!!
  10. jhsgator

jhsgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +12
    They seem pretty concerned about it on the stanford boards. Golf is really hurting us though. The baseball team getting to the super regionals would be really nice. Need a strong finish from softball too.
  11. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,637
    It's tough with the director's cup because unless something has changed, they only count the top 20 sports for a school, so even if they lost 64 points in one sport, they may have another sport they can count. Would be awesome if we finally did it though. Golf is currently underperforming , so they need a big day 3 tomorrow to get back in the ballpark on projected points.
    Speaking of which, I think the next update comes out tomorrow (Thursday). I may not be around but someone else can post it if so inclined. Wherever we are, you can add another 45 guaranteed for men's golf (pending tomorrow's results), 73 I think for softball with more possible, 25 for baseball with more possible, and nothing yet for men's and women's track but good points likely on both. I think we are right around 1110-1115 including the additional guaranteed points above. Baseball may be the key, just getting to Sunday means 50, getting out of the regional 64 and making it to the WS is 73 I think.
  12. IowaGator

IowaGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +268
    Once tomorrow comes out--we should have a good idea. Points to be scored after tomorrow are in the following sports:

men's golf
    women's rowing
    softball
    men's track
    women's track
    baseball

As Ora stated only the top 10 sports for each gender get counted.

Of the sports left to score after tomorrow:

Stanford gets no points for baseball. They did not make the field of 64. We will get at least 25 for making the field. 50 for making the regional final. 64 for making the SR and, as already posted, 73 when we make the CWS.

Men's golf will get Stanford no more than 40. They made a regional but did not advance to the national tourney. We will score at least 44.

Women's rowing will score Stanford some points potentially. There are 22 teams competing and last year points were awarded to the top 16. Stanford finished 9th but did not need the points.

Softball will get Stanford 50 since they made the regional final and we are at 73 and still counting.

In women's track Stanford is projected to finish in a tie for 7th which would get them around 70 points and we are expected to finish 12th which would get us around 60. Track scores often are different due to ties in the final numbers.

In men's track Stanford is projected to get no points. We are expected to finish 4th which would get us 80 points.

Track points are based on the latest formcharts from T and F news.

This has looked like a possibility for a few weeks now but I was afraid to type anything--didn't want to jinx anything :)

If we are able to pull this off it will be a testament to Jeremy Foley. He has put together the very best sports program in the country. I hope the UAA has provisions for a nice bonus for this trophy!
  13. IowaGator

IowaGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +268
    The other thing to keep an eye on is North Carolina. They won women's lacrosse and should do well in baseball.
  14. DougCN

DougCN New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
  15. IowaGator

IowaGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +268
    Stanford leads with 1233.
    Michigan second with 1003.25
    Penn State third with 1001.25
    North Carolina fourth with 991
    Florida fifth with 983.5

f$u in 15th with 681.5
  16. IowaGator

IowaGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +268
    What do you mean counting 12?

Never mind I figured it out. They will drop sports at the end when the 10 highest ones are determined. They can not drop them until all the sports are completed.
  17. DougCN

DougCN New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Here's my updated math with final projections based on rankings. Please provide updates if you have better information.

UF 983.5
    + 90 Softball (2nd)
    + 85 W T&F (3rd)
    - 51 (11th best score)
    + 50 (M Golf 24th)
    + 80 (M T&F 4th)
    +25 (M Baseball, no advancement in tourney)
    1,262.5 Total

Stanford 1,233
    -25 (11th best W score)
    -53 (12th best W score)
    +70 (W T&F 11th)
    - 62.25 (replaced with T&F score)
    W Rowing and W Softball not top 10 in scoring
    +49.5 M T&F (25th place)
    +28 M Golf (regional qualifier)
    Total 1,240.25
  18. DougCN

DougCN New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Points are awarded based on each institution's finish in up to 20 sports -- 10 women’s and 10 men’s.

These standings include 12 womens sports so they will not get credit for the two lowest scores
  19. IowaGator

IowaGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +268
    Your T & F numbers are off, based on forms, for both women and Stanford men. See my earlier post for numbers based on the current form charts.

On the road so I can't look closely at the rest. But they appear to be pretty accurate.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Gator Country
  20. DougCN

DougCN New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    I'm not sure where you are pulling the T&F numbers but I'll assume you have a better handle than me on this one. If we update the track, we lose 20 points and Stanford loses 49.5. Even better result. I have not estimated other teams outside of UF/Stanford so not sure if anyone else is in the mix.