Dinesh D’Souza Is Charged With Using Straw Donors

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by chompalot, Jan 24, 2014.

1. lacuna

lacuna Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +854
    Several of the men responsible for the DOMA had in fact committed, or were committing adultery (Bob Barr, Henry Hyde, Newt Gingrich and signed by the man who had Ms. Lewinsky stashed under his desk) so it's not surprising the DOMA doesn't address the sanctity of a faithful monogamous marriage between a man and a woman.

D'Souza's adultery discovered in October, 2012 speaks for itself.

"[E]verytime someone from the Right ..." is an exaggeration, but don't you think without your overstated hyperbole the antithesis is also true about some on this Board who represent the Right, and disparagingly paint the left with a very wide brush? If you are honest you will agree.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,005
    The law still has nothing to do with a monogamous marriage. How you treat your rights (laws) should never diminsh it's legal acceptance. But I do see the diminished credibility of these men, preaching about something that should be taken seriously on their part, as a problem.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. wgbgator

wgbgator Sub-optimal Poster Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,180
    Why does it raise a red flag? Its the kind of low hanging fruit the government always goes after on election related offenses, securities fraud, insider training or pretty much any white collar crime. These things are virtual slam dunks. The bigger the crime, the harder the conviction, the more of a case you have to build.
  4. gatordowneast

gatordowneast Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +984
    How could it not be? Bob McDonald and his wife took $145 K in questionable gifts and loans (which they repaid) and they have been indicted. Tim Kane (former governor and now US Senator, took $180 K in the same. Kane is a demo and skates and McDonald gets indicted.

D D produces a movie about Obama...2 years later is indicted for reimbursing others for $20 K in illegal campaign contributions. OK. How many Goldman Sachs or Apple employees donated to Pinochio and those contributions were covered by "special" bonuses? Hmmm

Wonder how many and amounts of illegal and foreign contributions bundled by Pinochio's thugs/bundlers?

No question these events are payback. Just like the IRS and Fox and AP reporters email and cell phone taps.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Gatormb

Gatormb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,206
    Interesting to note in your link (thanks) that a John Edwards donor was charged by the DOJ for the same offense during the Bush Administration. Almost forgot. The charge was a misdemeanor.
  6. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +738
    Oh I don't know. He made a film highly critical of the Obama administration and with the reports of the IRS and its alleged shenanigans I just have skepicism about it.

We will see if it is a slam dunk case. I just would not be shocked if it is not a slam dunk case in favor of D'souza.

Are you assuming a crime was committed ("the bigger the crime the harder the conviction")? What if no crime was committed and this is retaliation?
  7. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +2,180
    C'mon now, the feds rarely bring charges on things that aren't almost guaranteed convictions. Sometime there's a Roger Clemens type of situation where the government ends up wasting a lot of time and money on a relatively minor offense only to lose, but that seems to be the exception rather than the rule. Ultimately, I'm sure D'Souza will claim to be harrassed whether it is true or not.
  8. Gatormb

Gatormb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,206
    Tend to agree. The harassment could be the severity of the charge. As I noted earlier the Bush DOJ only charged the Edwards donor with a misdemeanor.
  9. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +738
    C'mon we had Lerner sit up there along with her pals taking the fifth about abusing there power.

He may be guilty. I am just skeptical at this point.

I am less skeptical about Lerner needing to be in jail. So maybe you are right. The bigger the crime just look the other way... :)
    • Like Like x 1
  10. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +2,180
    Or a smaller charge is all they had sufficient evidence for in 2007. I mean, it would be just as easy to call that "harrassment" too. Using federal law and resources to slap someone on the wrist with a misdeamenor. I'm not going to pretend that people in power or federal prosecutors don't have motivations (which could be non-political in nature too) beyond the law itself, but I tend to at least give the benefit of the doubt when there is nothing beyond "this guy criticized or campaigned against the current party in power" and he's also being charged with a crime.
  11. wgbgator

Ratings Received:
    +2,180
    Nothing wrong with skepticism, and abuse of power isnt always purely about political retribution. There's a whole range of motives WRT why someone might do their job in less than good faith.
  12. asuragator

asuragator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,085
    Not judging DD, but federal charges are nothing to scoff off.
    With the feds, sure, you should always be skeptical (regardless of who is in power), but there is something to be said about them only bringing charges they feel absolutely certain they can win. And while I can understand a possible concern about 'political revenge' given D'Souza's outspokenness, it can also be too easy and reflexive a claim to make without any real evidence. I do however get why one would raise the possibility.

Based on what I've seen, I tend to think it's more likely that this case was just low hanging fruit in that it apparently came to light through a discrepancy in the campaign financial documents. And if they are wrong in bringing charges, it's not necessarily b/c of personal politics, but their overzealousness in trying to win.
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +799
    This is so easy to pull off and charges are rare. Gee, I wonder why he was charged.

CORRUPTION RULES!!!!!
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,275
    So wait, as a conservative am I supposed to back every person's ethical issue? If that is the case then I expect the same from the other side.
  15. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +738
    I agree to a point. But when you watch Lerner and the gang at the IRS sit and plead the fifth (yes I get they are not prosecutors and yes I get they may not be able to prove a case on them but it points to abuse) I wonder did a potential target of theirs get lazy (not file correctly) or really break the law over something so minor and meaningless considering the amount and outcome?

This does explain why I have donated very little money to politics in my 33 years as I have no clue what the law is on caps.

And does anyone know how Obama and Romney can have $50K plate dinners and D'Souza can do some reimbursement thing with $5K increments (cap according to law?) and not be breaking the law?
  16. asuragator

Ratings Received:
    +6,085
    They are paying for the dinner (a per-plate "fee") not a donation to the candidate /wink wink

What might look like political targeting in reality could more likely be not passing up an opportunity to bag a "big game." Scorpions, after all, don't play political favoritism :)
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  17. QGator2414

QGator2414 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +738
    I kind of knew that was the grey area. Food was GOOD! ;)

Think D'Souza can file an amended return and change the $5k to a dinner donation? :)
  18. asuragator

Ratings Received:
    +6,085
    That would be ingenious if it worked lol
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  19. JerseyGator01

JerseyGator01 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +799
    This is just nit picking. The FEC is a paper tiger that selectively picks its enemies.
  20. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,005
    Obama's hitman - Holder, that why.