Dieting tips...

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by ArtVandelay, Jul 30, 2013.

1. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +417
    285 lbs sounds like a lot, so I figured I would post a picture. I definitely need to drop some weight, but most people don't believe me when I tell them how much I weigh.

http://images2.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp543%3A8%3Enu%3D3245%3E844%3E537%3EWSNRCG%3D37673%3A4972329nu0mrj
  2. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +351
    So Art, what is your goal? Do you have a bodyweight that you are trying to achieve?
  3. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,735
  4. vbmatt

vbmatt VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,058
    Cutting out the processed foods has worked for me. As far as snacking, I prepare meals ahead of time, that always include a protein & veggies. I try to eat clean carbs (not processed), mostly in the form of sweet potatoes. I don't count calories, but It has helped me lean up nicely. I'm 6'0" and went from 275ish down to my current weight of 195. I also lift frequently and this is as good as "cardio" in terms of getting the heart rate up and burning calories... I try to cook/eat mostly paleo items. Control the blood sugar levels and eat often.
  5. kalaniocc

kalaniocc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +722
    haha
  6. ArtVandelay

Ratings Received:
    +417
    Haven't really set a goal. If I can drop 25 pounds, then that would be great. I do a good job of being healthy a lot of the time. I need to eat less.

Getting specific snack and meal ideas other than just chicken and veggies would be helpful.

pretty, pretty, pretty good...
  7. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +351
    I only brought it up because having a specific goal really helps. It allows you to set your energy needs and really know how much you can eat and how long it will take you to reach that goal. Remember eating healthy and eating less are not exactly the same thing.
  8. kalaniocc

kalaniocc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +722
    dirty eggs: wheat bran with egg whites scrambled. yum.
    whey protein with lecithin granules and glutamine
    tuna fish, salmon, tilapia
    cottage cheese with fruit or yogurt
  9. ATL_Gator

ATL_Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,399
    Snacks, though I don't normally snack. I used to do the eat every 3 hours or so (5-6 times a day)... honestly, it is not necessary and makes ZERO difference. IMO, it's a gimmick to get you to buy some program/product. Now I just eat 3 times a day, typical breakfast, lunch, dinner. This is stuff that I now eat along with my lunch, but would have been a snack before.

• Nuts. I have learned to like unsalted varieties. The salted ones tend to mask the natural sweetness of a lot of them.
    • Various kinds of Jerky. YUM. Relatively low calorie and high in protein.
    • Seasonal fruit.
    • Yogurt parfait. Make your own. Yogurt, fruit, granola. Watch portion size, calories can add up quick. I use vanilla Greek yogurt. Unflavored would probably be less calories, but I can't do that, just doesn't get sweet enough from the fruit for me.

Things that I normally eat for meals: There are only so many types of meat, so a lot of time it's just varying the preparation.

• Eggs... eat the yolk, not just egg whites. Lots of nutrition in there, and it's delicious. Don't buy the 70's/80's "logic" that nutritional cholesterol is bad for you. Add in a meat with the eggs for variety. Ham, steak, chicken (save some from dinner the night before).
    • Steak, sweet potato, veggie. Simple, and delicious. I like to use everglade seasoning as a rub on the steak.
    • Pork tenderloin. Publix sells some that are marinated in the package. The peppercorn one is awesome. Sometimes we grill it, though most of the time we cook it inside. On the stove top first, 4-5 minutes per side over (4 sides) high heat to get some color, then finish in the oven. Tried in the oven the whole time, wasn't the same.
    • For stuff you would use ground beef in, substitute ground turkey. Lower calorie, surprising taste. We have done this for so long with tacos that we actually prefer it that way now.
    • Grilled chicken, on the bone with the skin. Rub with various seasonings or marinade. Again, we like everglade, or marinade in Italian dressing.

We have done this a couple of times, but it's a pain. Results are good though. Brine meats. Water, salt, sugar, spices. Submerge meat for a day or two, then cook as normal. Lots of recipes for various brines.
  10. ArtVandelay

Ratings Received:
    +417
    good stuff ATL!

Today is day 1. I had 2 hard boiled eggs and 2 string cheese for breakfast. About to have cottage cheese and chicken breast for lunch.

LEAF, I am going to need to eat less and eat healthier. Like someone else said, its going to be a marathon, not a sprint.

I do have a couple of nights a week where I go right to an event from work. I usually grab a Jimmy Johns sub. Is there a better alternative for something quick? Chili and grilled chicken wrap from Wendy's?

Thanks all! I will keep you updated. Keep the good ideas coming.

Drinks lots of beer for me this month!
  11. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +351
    You can do OK occasionally grabbing stuff from fast food places despite what some will tell you. If you go to any fast food places website these days you will notice they have nutrition facts. Jimmy Johns even has an option for you to build your meal. A sub there by itself wont be all that bad, just dont add a soda and chips. A lot of the "healthy" stuff from fast food places and restaurants are deceptively high in calories so do your research.
  12. ATL_Gator

ATL_Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,399
    What generally does NOT work.

A whole large pizza plus 1 slice, by yourself... half pepperoni, half meat lovers.
    2 pieces of jalapeno cheese breadsticks
    2 pieces of cinnamon breadsticks with icing
    2 cups of grapes (easily, wasn't counting)

that was my dinner last night. That doesn't count the other meals either.
  13. Itssaul

Itssaul VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +120
    C'mon man. Haven't you heard the term "hashtag bulking" before?
  14. nehanpoole

nehanpoole New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    After reading your post it sounds like I'm actually talking about my health problem,, to be frank I really can't stop myself when ever I'm hungry :sick:
    You won't believe I go on eating all the food stuff that I see around myself until I get to know that my stomach is full,, but I like your one diet habit of drinking lots of water through out the day so with this why don't try to take some warm water in the morning before taking any kind of breakfast?? Just try this remedy,,
    Remedy,,
    Take a glass of water warm it a little then add a full lemon on it shake it well with the spoon and take this remedy as a regular diet I'm sure it will definitely loose your weight, I regularly take this remedy and reduced my fatty weight.
  15. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +918
    Had it for three months. I was already in great shape, but I've lost another eight or nine pounds on top of the thirty I lost two years ago, taken an inch off my waist and improved my energy level throughout the day. I shoot for 1700 net calories a day, typically burning four hundred to nine hundred and eating between 2000 and 2400. I'm getting better and better at hitting the ideal minimums in all the key nutrition areas, especially on days when I've been very active.

FWIW, I'm six feet, a shade over 180 and have a 32" waist. I'm 55 years old.
  16. ArtVandelay

Ratings Received:
    +417
    Day 8 update:

I've been doing fairly well. Haven't had any beer. No fried foods. No snacks. I haven't been counting calories, but I have definitely cut it by a lot. I have done a good job of not eating when there is stuff in front of me where I am at.

A big problem is that I am not satisfied with what I eat. I eat enough, but I feel like I want something else. So far I have been able to not do it. I'm sure I will have a bad day.

I think I have lost 8 or 9 pounds so far.

Thanks for the help and encouragement. Still a long road, but I'm off to a good start!
  17. katrin_gfd

katrin_gfd New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    I tend to join. I try to eat healthy food and don't think about calories because this makes me angry. :)
  18. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +818
    Hehe, pretty cute. Sounds like my girlfriend.
  19. etennant

etennant Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +4
    2 KFC grilled thighs and green beans=365 calories add half the biscuit and your only at 455 calories

I'm 6'1 and 212 and this is my go to lunch.
  20. malligator

malligator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +267
    Art,

Please don't forget to eat fat. Fat is satisfying. I love having two whole eggs, two pieces of bacon, and a whole avocado for breakfast. Tons of fat, but only 450 calories. I easily stay satisfied until lunch.