Dieting tips...

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by ArtVandelay, Jul 30, 2013.

1. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +417
    I am starting a diet for August. I need to be healthier, but I want to lose weight to look better too.

I am 6'4 and weigh 285 (you would probably guess 250 by looking at me) I have a broad build and I hide it very well.

The problem is that I love to eat so I eat too much and stuff that is bad.

I am pretty good during the week at night (fish, chicken, salads, spinach)

for lunch I will usually walk to Publix and get a sub.

I don't really eat breakfast. I drink orange juice and/or V8 and eat whatever breakfast bars they have at work.

A big problem for me is on the weekends and while on vacation or at events. I don't feel like cooking or eating healthy.

I need some guidance as to what I should eat for breakfast and lunch and also what to snack on when I am hungry.

I get very hungry when I eat something that doesn't satisfy me and then if I pig out, it will waste what I had done for the previous couple of days.

I drink a lot of water throughout the day and I do cardio 4-5 days a week.

I will definitely be cutting out alcohol and eating smaller portions.

What has worked for you? Do you use supplement shakes? pills/powders?

i need some good breakfast/lunch/dinner/snack ideas that will fill me up.
  2. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,286
    Free-form amino acids for me. They actually fill me up and make me more 'regular' and keep the bloat off of me. I bought 20 protein synthesizing aminos in powder form and I make a shake by adding it to a sports drink or Gatorade. Read up on it before trying it for yourself... but, it works for me.
  3. Jaggator

Jaggator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,203
    The older you get, the tougher it is to lose weight because by then, your body and your fat are really good friends.
  4. G8rChuck85

G8rChuck85 Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,709
    Moving to the "Gator Country Health and Fitness" forum..
  5. Jaggator

Jaggator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,203
  6. jhenderson251

jhenderson251 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +315
    Without knowing anything beyond your OP, I think your day-to-day eating is the bigger problem. You're not going to put on lbs. of bad weight because of splurging on a vacation. My guess is that you haven't looked too closely at the calories in those breakfast bars or in the Publix subs, combined with everything else on your day-to-day menu.

http://caloriecount.about.com/tools/calories-goal

This website does a decent job of at least informing you of your caloric needs. But I would guess that you don't need more than ~ 2200 calories per day to be at a healthy weight, and you're coming in over 3000. From there, it's simply a basic physics equation of eating so that you ingest fewer calories than 285 lb. you needs to maintain that weight.

And as for food suggestions, pay attention to what your parents usd to tell you and eat your veggies. Human beings on average can't eat more than about 4 lbs of food per day, and green vegetables are typically very low in calories/ounce.
  7. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,104
    Agree with jh.

2100-2200 cals/day. Try myfitnesspal or similar tracking app. Track your cals religiously for 2-4 weeks. Then you'll know what 2200 calorie diet looks like.

Stay away from diet tips for the day, and just change your diet once and for all. Remember it's a marathon, not a sprint. Don't expect overnight success. Measure progress in months not days.

Hierarchy of importance:
    - calories
    - macro nutritional make up (carb/fat/protein)
    - food timing
  8. ATL_Gator

ATL_Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,399
    First and foremost... get your head right, body will follow.

What worked for me (265 to 200 at 6'3").

I logged everything I ate for 3 or 4 weeks straight to count calories. This gave me some insight. First, how many calories certain foods (or drinks) had, and how quickly they add up. Then I started targeting areas where I could cut calories out.

What also helped was trying to grasp how many calories you burn during exercise. BUST YOUR ASS for an hour (talking breathing hard the whole time, clothes drenched in sweat), you MIGHT burn 900-1200 calories. Then I started thinking about that in terms of food.... that hour is 1 to 1.5 pieces of pizza, which is eaten in minutes.

Other things that helped me.

Stop purchasing stuff you go crazy on at home, especially at night after dinner. Then you only have to say "no" once or twice in the store, not 15 times at home.

Substitute things that bring flavor with little to no calories while eliminating things heavy in calories. Like, a sub or sandwich with mustard and without mayo.

Sauces have calories, cooking medium can have calories (i.e. oil). Just be aware of that.

Almond milk, 1 serving = 30-60 calories depending on the brand you get. Skim milk has 90, I think 1% is 110 or something.

Eat whole foods 90% of the time. Whole foods being "single ingredient" when purchased. Chicken, steak, eggs, spinach, so on and so forth. I often thought about it this way... minimize the number of ingredients you are eating. A box of "healthy choice" has a lot of them... and not a lot of volume of food.

As a big eater, I try to like veggies as much as possible. Lots of chewing, lots of volume, minimal calories (assuming you aren't adding calories with cheese, butter, and what not). To flavor, I like to add seasoning salts, vinegar, garlic, etc (not all at same time necessarily)... again, big bold flavor.. zero calories.

I am on the fence about chewing gum. For me, I find that if I chew it all day I am STARVING by dinner and eat a ton. I do like having it around though for after dinner. 5-15 calories + an hour of chewing can KILL an after dinner sweet tooth.

But moreso than anything else... you have to get your head straight. I can't count the number of times that I have opened the refrigerator/cabinet searching for something to eat to eventually tell myself "no, you are not going to eat anything, you don't need it". It's hard, and it sucks.

For what it's worth. I still struggle with the weekends, events, and eating out. If it's a pay per plate type of place, I will eat mine and finish my wife's and my son's (6 years old). If it's a buffet.. GAME ON! But still, weight loss can be done.
  9. ATL_Gator

Ratings Received:
    +1,399
    Just my opinion here...

Calories will get him 80-85% alone. Personally, I wouldn't even glance at macro ratios or food timing until the last 10-15 lb, and even then I don't feel it is overly necessary.

And 2200 calories seems a tad low to me. I am 6'3", 200 lb, 37 years old and I think 2200 calories is low for me by just BMR, and that is not even accounting for any sort of activity. I just did an online calculator with "moderate activity (exercise 3-5 days a week) and it estimates 3100 or so to maintain. Would he lose at 2200, sure, is it necessary to go that low.. not in my opinion.
  10. ATL_Gator

Ratings Received:
    +1,399
    Kinda glanced over the first post again...

Orange Juice = Bad
    V8 = Bad

What kinds of cardio do you do? Just my opinion here, but stop doing so much of it. Lift some weights too. Free weights, compound movements (squats, press, deadlift). Starting Strength (buy the book) or Stronglifts (free) would be good starting points.
  11. ArtVandelay

ArtVandelay Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +417
    Thanks for the advice.

I am 37. I used to play basketball 4 times a week, but I have herniated discs, so for now I am just doing the step machine and also walk around the block (usually 2 miles)

The problem is that if I just eat a salad for lunch (no dressing so it's healthy) then I am going to be very hungry. Just snacking on some carrots won't do it for me. I need to find better options for breakfast/lunch and snacks. I can handle the dinner. I know I will just need to have the will power to not eat when I shouldn't and not eat the really bad things that I love. I don't keep a lot of food in my fridge and cabinets so I don't eat them.
  12. Itssaul

Itssaul VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +120
    I'll be back on my computer later :) glad you are looking to improve though!
  13. ATL_Gator

Ratings Received:
    +1,399
    I rarely eat salad for lunch though when I do it has a meat in it and a lot of my own dressing (oil, vinegar, Italian spice blend, red pepper flakes, mustard).

Protein with every meal. From what I have read it makes you feel full longer.

I would snack on nuts usually (quarter cup about 200 calories typically). Though I don't believe there is anything magical about eating 6 times a day.

Careful with the back. Go light and keep good form and talk to youtlr doctor. A dude on stronglifts had disc problems... cut way back and last I heard was squatting well above body weight.
  14. swampeagle

swampeagle Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    Read The Blood Sugar Solution by Dr Mark Hyman. I'm following his plan and lost 85 lbs in less than a year. No measuring, no counting, just eat right and exercise (walk).
  15. swampeagle

swampeagle Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +8
    He recommends a fiber called PGX that you take 30 min before each meal with a glass of water that really curbs your appetite. It works as good as byetta or victosa without the side effects plus it's a lot cheaper.
  16. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +354
  17. kalaniocc

kalaniocc Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +739
    Lots of jello, lots of broccoli.
  18. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +822
    Some of you guys are funny. My new girlfriend goes 5-5 139. She thinks she's overweight. I think she's perfect. Just PERFECT.
  19. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,874
    Tip: figure out how many calories you eat now, and then eat progressively fewer until you're at your goal weight.
  20. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,874
    It can be worse than that. My wife is 5'10" and 120 lbs and thinks she's "out of shape."

But neither she nor your new girlfriend are 285 lbs, so I will support Art's goals here.