Diet Soda Advice

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by citygator, Jul 10, 2013.

1. bakaduin

bakaduin Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +503 / 28 / -11
    This is just straight wrong. They are strong in one direction and that direction is that artificial sweeteners don't cause cancer. There hasn't been a study that, after thorough review, has successfully link cancer to artificial sweeteners.
  2. gatorman_07732

gatorman_07732 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,654 / 16 / -6
    I can't drink soda of any kind because the ingredients and carbonation doesn't agree with me. I strictly drink water and green tea.
  3. manigordo

manigordo Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +178 / 4 / -5
    I drink water. I find no reason to spend money on a sweet carbonated acidic drink. As to health, I will take my risks (or lack there of) on a daily beer or wine with dinner.
  4. Chirogator

Chirogator Member

Ratings Received:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    The majority of studies that have been done are on mice, not free living humans, and they have not spanned a considerable period of time (say like 30 years), so the evidence for or against a link between artificial sweeteners and cancer over a lifetime in humans is not there. Regardless, one of the many things that drives obesity is food palatability/food reward. People are more apt to eat other shitty foods when they consume highly palatable foods like diet soda (regardless of calories or lack thereof). This is well supported In the literature. So drinking diet soda may or may not cause cancer, frankly
    I don't think that it would over a lifetime if kept to moderation, but it does increase your brain's desire for other tasty and not-so-healthy foods. I see this clinically in my office on a regular basis. They only get so far by switching to diet, and then really hit their stride after removing diet soda.
  5. bakaduin

bakaduin Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +503 / 28 / -11
    I'm not arguing anything about palatability/obesity/etc. I'm talking cancer. You can argue there aren't studies over 30 years fine. That doesn't mean the science isn't strong in one direction (non-carcinogenic). Every well reviewed study has shown no link between cancer and artificial sweeteners. THe ones that showed any type of link we pretty quickly debunked with numerous flaws.