Diet Soda Advice

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by citygator, Jul 10, 2013.

1. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +58
    Here's the deal. I like diet soda. I don't like coffee. I drink 3-5 cans worth a day - about a cup of coffee worth of caffeine. The news is always running down diet soda. Much of it is correlation not causation... Diet soda drinkers are heavier (duh skinny people don't drink diet drinks), and thus the related health issues the articles tie into diet soda drinkers are weight related, not necessarily diet soda related.

Obviously drinking water is better, but do you guys think diet soda is a marginal health issue or a deadly issue?

Diet soda may do more harm than good
    http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2013/07/10/diet-soda-may-do-more-harm-than-good/
  2. og8trz

og8trz VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +218
    What this country needs is a hardier strain of test mice!
    • Like Like x 2
  3. og8trz

og8trz VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +218
    You can find an "expert"to argue either side of any argument you want to make.
  4. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,219
    I just drink water.
    Sugar vs chemicals doesn't feel like a win win.
  5. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +350
    The studies I have seen basically show that as long as they are not causing you to overeat other foods they provide an average of 100 calorie per day reduction in total caloric intake. So watch your eating habits and see how the soda is effecting you.
  6. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,708
    I don't think it's "deadly," but I used to be in the 5-7 cans a day (since we bought it and expensed it for work).

I stopped two years ago and cannot recommend it enough.

Also, thin people *do* drink diet soda. Quite a bit, actually.
  7. citygator

citygator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +58
    Why? What difference have you noticed?
  8. ufbeta

ufbeta VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +45
    In a diet Coke drinker but I've got a good friend that won't let his family touch anything with artificial sweeteners He says the chemical composition (and resulting changes to body chemistry) is so close to very dangerous compounds that its cancer in waiting. Hasn't stopped me from drinking it yet but certainly has me thinking.
  9. kkg8r

kkg8r Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +250
    I used to drink 3-5 a day as well. I gave it up - why risk it? It's July and I just came back from visiting a family member in hospice. Cancer. He will be #3 this year alone.

I find that coffee and sparkling water (Poland Springs Raspberry Lime) is just as good. I can honestly say that I don't miss it at ALL and I used to not be able to get through the day without it.

Now, I tried to give up coffee once. Nope.

Give it a shot.
  10. bakaduin

bakaduin Super Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +712
    If you think diet soda causes cancer I have some ocean front property to sell you in Nebraska to sell you.

The hype machine against artificial sweeteners is in full force. Reminds me of the similar hype machine to how bad eggs were for you.

There are over 100 safety studies in animals and humans with sucralose indicating a lack of risk. Well I guess there was the one study that showed when mice ingested the equivalent of 11,450 packets of sugar per day they developed DNA damage. Just make sure to keep it under 11k packets a day.

As for aspartame, it is one of the most widely tested food additives in existence. There is absolutely no link to cancer. This idea is supported by the National Cancer Institute as well as the FDA and EFSA.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. kkg8r

kkg8r Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +250
    I think that no one knows the cause of cancer. Period. There are thousands of articles linking soft drinks (aspartame) to blood cancers as well as its affects on other vital organs. So why take the risk because they can't be 100% sure that it was the aspartame? Most of the studies are conducted/funded by the companies that manufacture the product themselves. It's a multi-billion dollar industry, so forgive me if I'm suspicious.

I love all studies conducted on mice because mice live to be the ripe old age of 1.5 years (give or take) so that's a perfect vehicle to test long term affects of any chemical on the human body. Just as having a few drinks will not kill you -- but having too many drinks CAN -- the long-term effects of drinking a tolerable amount of alcohol daily will certainly cause liver damage in some people over the course of their lives. Oh, also mice aren't human.

Hype machines are in full force against everything. I recognize them and do not subscribe to them, but faced with a choice of putting a chemical in my system rather than drink something natural, I will take natural every time.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +736
    I think the correlation to people who drink diet sodas being heavier is mostly from the nitwits that drink diet soda and then think they can eat whatever they want because they're being good by drinking diet soda.

Personally I won't touch the stuff but only because it tastes disgusting and I rarely drink soda anyhow.
  13. ATL_Gator

ATL_Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,399
    I don't drink diet soda's nor use any "zero calorie sugar substitute" sweetener (artificial or not) because frankly, they all taste like sh*t, not sugar. Stevia included.
  14. Itssaul

Itssaul VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +120
    Once you try it again after being off for years, you really realize its some sort of poison. Idk I don't drink sodas, and every once in a while ill have a sip bc of limited choices, and jeez it goes down with a grudge
  15. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,219
    Yeah I still like mountain dew (I have had 2 in the past 3 years), but I had a big gulp for the first time in several years a while back and it was just gross.
    By the way on a regular mountain dew 20 ounce, it has something like 75g of sugar, a person is supposed to take in about 40 grams in a day. I can only imagine what they have to do to create that taste artificially for a diet soda.
  16. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,708
    Well let me preface this by saying my earlier estimates were probably conservative. I'm sure there were several days in my past where I had an entire gallon of diet soda.

The differences are minimal but tangible. I eat less now, something I attribute more to having previously had a stomach that basically always had something in it. My teeth are in better shape, I feel like my mouth is clean now. I drink a ton more water now, because I've sort of weaned myself off of needing to drink something sweet all the time. I basically drink coffee, water and beer now.
  17. Chirogator

Chirogator Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    As far as the cancer link the research isn't too strong in either direction. But, studies on food palatability and food reward are growing daily and suggest that highly palatable foods (of which I would include diet soda despite its lack of calories) promote overeating of other highly palatable foods (the vast majority of which are crap foods) and are a driving force for obesity. It's the same brain mechanism as drug addiction. So long story short, will aspartame or sucralose directly cause cancer? Maybe not. But they'll lead you to eat other crappy foods that may increase those odds.
  18. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +350
    Switching from caloric drinks to diet sodas or water lead to weight loss.
    http://theweek.com/article/index/246790/does-diet-soda-actually-make-you-gain-weight

And claiming that its the same brain mechanism as drug addiction is just straight up alarmism and not helpful. You know how many things in life work on the same brain mechanism as drugs?

If you remove calories by drinking diet sodas only to add them back in with other foods you are defeating the purpose, however if you are using them to successfully remove calories from your diet then keep doing it.
  19. ATL_Gator

ATL_Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,399
    Agree with this.

------------------------

I remember reading stuff from those health and fitness email newsletters about artificial sweeteners and how they were bad for you. One of the arguments is that they "trigger something in the body crave calories, specifically sweet calories, because you are giving the sweet sensation without any calories associated with it. ... Lets buy that for one second....

They then go on to talk about other "bad" stuff with them. Cancer, originally developed to be rat poison or something and a lab tech heard "taste it" instead of "test it" so on and so forth....

They then go into the sale of what they like... Stevia... a ZERO CALORIE natural sweetener. Uhhhh... wouldn't that trigger the same thing as the artificial sweeteners do? Sweet with nothing behind it right... artificial or not has nothing to do with it.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +350
    http://examine.com/faq/is-diet-soda-bad-for-you.html