Did you permanently screw yourself by becoming obese ?

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by Dreamliner, Apr 30, 2012.

1. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,307
    Interested to get some discussion going on this. No, I'm not talking about the obvious health risks associated with obesity. Rather, I'm talking about what the recent studies seem to be telling us.

The new HBO documentary on obesity references one such study. Apparently, even after keeping lost weight off for TEN years, the brain has still not adjusted. It continues to signal deprivation. And formerly obese persons report that they are hungrier than before and feel less-satisfied after eating.

I think this is a significant topic. There is an emerging Fat Acceptance Movement. And a number of researchers and not a few trainers are recommending that obese people not be cajoled into losing more than 5-10% of their bodyweight, thereby enjoying substantial health benefits but, at the same time, adjusting to some level of obesity.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. ATL_Gator

ATL_Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,413
    My initial reaction: Poppycock!

Seems that they are meerly appealing to the lowest common denominator to make them feel better about themselves.

IMO, numbers are numbers. 315 may certainly be "healthier" than 350, but that is meerly a relative comparison, and doesn't mean that one is healthy at 315.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,307
    I had a debate with a peer in my industry who made this very argument. I informed him that obese people aren't exactly lining to pay me to take 5% off their bodyweight.

Still, I'd like to hear from formerly obese people on this. I'd like to hear from them whether hunger pangs are imperious.
  4. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +390
    Based on her BMI my mom was recently obese and is now fine, or so she tells me, on a calorie restricted diet. She does not complain about any hunger pangs and is satisfied with the meals she does eat.

Granted she was obese at 5'4" and around 185# and is now closer to 135#. I dont know if the level of obesity matters or if because she was just over that line she responded better.
  5. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,307
    Obesity is generally considered to be thirty pounds over recommended weight.

Encouraging to know that she hasn't had to endure increased hunger pangs. And in fact, I've spoken with formerly morbidly obese people who tell me that, though they do experience hunger pangs, they no longer experience the sort of malignant attraction to food which formerly beset them.
  6. Jupgator

Jupgator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +590
    My best friend became obese. Real shame. Strapping good looking guy in college, but balooned to nearly 400#. He would eat and eat and eat. Lost about 110 lbs down to under 300, but had a fatal heart attack anyway. I think food can become an addiction.
  7. ATL_Gator

ATL_Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,413
    Absolutely.

I also think that it is a tough one to get over as well due to nutrition being so vital to existence and all.

Used to be 260ish
    currently 198.

I still get into fits where I will get up every 5 minutes and stare either into the pantry or fridge. I have gone as far as unwrapping a piece of my son's candy from a holiday, look at it, then throw it away after deciding that it wasn't worth it.

I have had plenty of times where I wasn't that strong and caved, but those are too numerous to list.

I know that is a battle that is 100% in my head though.
  8. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +390
    Not only can food become an addiction its probably one of the tougher ones to find support to overcome. Its not like when you know someone hooked on heroin and the only other enablers are also addicts. With food you find there a lot more people who will enable your addiction without even considering it.
  9. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,307
    Never before in human history, until fairly recently, have human beings had to limit food intake. Used to be you had to eat, not knowing when the next meal would materialize.

Back then, over 100 hormones and receptors kept us alive by by essentially driving us to food.

Today: all those hormones + no shortage of food = 6,893 day waiting list to get on Biggest Loser.
  10. Colorado_Gator

Colorado_Gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +995
    Well, as I've mentioned before, I am/was pretty obese. 5'6" and 230 and now I'm right at 190. I really haven't had any hunger pangs, in fact I'd say my overall appitite has decreased. I have cravings for specific things, but no hunger pangs.
  11. G8rChuck85

G8rChuck85 Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,804
    I agree. This is especially true in the south, where southern hospitality usually involves food.
  12. holloffamer

holloffamer New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    It's sad how people can just let themselves go. I wonder if it's merely psychological because why couldn't they have stopped themselves from going over the recommended weight. Or I don't know, it's just sad that this could happen just because of food which is supposedly essential to our body.

13. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,307
    I get the "food is addicting" mindset. I really do. It certainly must feel like something you can't control. Still, as one pundit put it, I don't know that we're well-served turning fat people into McVictims.