Did the Obama Reelection team have no shame?

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by gatordowneast, Jun 29, 2013.

1. kygator

kygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +255
    I was the one who asked the question. You even quoted the question in your response. The question wasn't "what questionable math did the pubs use".

Oldgator said:

"the same sort of Faux facts and Republican math you appear to be trying to draw upon now inthis thread."

My question was:

"What math are you talking about? Can you give an example of math the OP used that was incorrect?"

I never asked for any random example of Republican math. I was asking about the math that oldgator said the OP was using "in this thread".

Maybe you should read the question before you shoot off your mouth with an irrelevant answer.
  2. OB1

OB1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +38
    Well said, rep to you sir!

It's Great to be a Florida Gator!
  3. mdgator05

mdgator05 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +985
    Again, that explanation's only real advantage is that it fits preexisting narratives. There are no numbers to support this theory. Ben and phil pointed out (in a much more clear manner than I), that the numbers on the ground simply do not support this theory. But who needs numbers when you have narrative? The problem is an overreliance on narrative while ignoring the numbers leads to what happened in November, where much of the grassroots right was absolutely floored to find out that most scientific polling was actually correct, rather than assuming that was the case until receiving some evidence of this being false.
  4. umcpgator

umcpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +38
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2012-...ong-to-pin-obama-s-edge-on-welfare-state.html

"Mitt Romney echoed the sentiment in a video secretly recorded at a fundraiser and released Sept. 17, in which he argued that the 47 percent of Americans who don’t pay federal income taxes would vote for Obama “no matter what.”

As an explanation for electoral trends, though, this theory doesn’t hold up.

One major reason for the growth of the federal government in recent years has been that entitlement spending per beneficiary has increased, and so has the number of beneficiaries as people have retired. Yet senior citizens -- who benefit from federal programs, on average, far more than younger people -- have become more Republican over that same period. They actually voted for John McCain over Obama in 2008 by a slightly higher margin than they did for George W. Bush over John Kerry in 2004.

In 2010, their Republican margin increased even more, to a whopping 21 points. Pollster Scott Rasmussen told me that in his latest poll, Romney still leads among seniors by 19 points.

It’s true that Americans with low incomes -- more and more of whom now receive food stamps and federally subsidized health insurance -- have generally voted for Democrats over Republicans. But in 2010, these voters shifted toward Republicans even as food stamps, unemployment benefits and the like continued to increase.

Conservatives have even less reason for worrying about people who don’t pay federal income taxes. A major reason that the number of those people has grown is that a Republican-controlled Congress created, and the Bush administration expanded, a tax credit for parents. If there is any evidence that in recent years middle-class parents have become more Democratic, relative to the general electorate, I haven’t seen it."