Did anyone happen to see..(merged threads)

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gator865, Sep 28, 2013.

1. jisgator

jisgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    You're being a bit naive if you don't think this goes on. As far as sportsmanship is concerned, I don't necessarily disagree with you if we're talking about it in and of itself but unfortunately that's just not reality in the multi billion dollar business that is the sport of football at the high school, college and pro levels.

It is not against the rules to have a coach sit in the official box and look at the opposing team during the game. If the opposing team isn't smart enough to know that then it's their own fault.
  2. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9750042/alabama-crimson-tide-coach-nick-saban-denies-tyler-siskey-was-coaching-vs-ole-miss-rebels

"If Tyler Siskey had an impact on No. 1 Alabama shutting out No. 24 Ole Miss 25-0 on Saturday, it was because of the insight he provided during the offseason and not during the actual game, according to Crimson Tide coach Nick Saban, who responded to the possibility that his director of player personnel was stealing signs.

Siskey, who coordinated the Rebels' recruiting efforts in 2012, was spotted in the coaches' booth by TV cameras using binoculars during the game. Ole Miss, which averaged 490 yards and 38 points per game going into the weekend, was held to just 205 yards by Alabama, stopped on a number of third- and fourth-down plays and forced into a safety late in the second half.

"He didn't really assist in the game plan, and he wasn't on a headset," Saban said when asked whether it was common for a noncoaching staff member to assist during a game. "He didn't talk to anybody during the game. I don't know if there's any rule that says he can't go into the press box and watch the games. And he wasn't in any different position than he's ever been in a game."
  3. gatorich

gatorich Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +715
    The video in this link shows otherwise.

http://olerebelblog.com/former-ole-miss-recruiting-coordinator-caught-deciphering-plays-for-alabama/
  4. igabradley

igabradley Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +319
    No doubt you can believe everything out of the mouth of Nick Saban
  5. KronoGator

KronoGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,278
    Old miss accusing someone else of cheating, that's funny.
  6. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +719
    We had a deaf LB named Yancey Sutton in the 70s that read the opposing QBs' lips in their huddles. Then someone bragged to the press about it, and from then on the opposing teams were more careful.
  7. Ofg8r

Ofg8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +225
    I remember when Doug Dickey was playing QB at UF, and everyone ragged about how dumb he was because he had a cheat sheet. Dickey may, or may not be dumb, but he was ahead of his time. Everyone from little league baseball & peewee football up to the Peyton Manning level now has a cheat sheet.

So, I don't see the issue. I assume the sideline calls a number, the QB finds the corresponding number on his wrist cheat sheet and reads off the play. Now, if Ole Miss hasn't changed their number/play correlation since last year, they deserve what they get.

Comparing Ole Miss' stats before and after they played the Alabama defense is pretty funny. I hope we can say the same about the LSU-Gator, UGA-Gator, and FSU-Gator stats at the end of the season.
  8. UF24ou14

UF24ou14 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +719
    Doug Dickey played QB 60 years ago. His cheat sheet must've been: 1st down-dive play 2nd down-dive play 3rd down-dive play 4th down-punt. If he needed a cheat sheet for that, he wasn't dumb, he was stupid. By the way, when he was QB, Bob Woodruff was the coach and he was as inclined to punt on 3rd down as he was to run a play. Did you see Dickey play?
  9. Ofg8r

Ofg8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +225
    I saw Dickey play, and it was longer ago than you remember. He walked on at UF as a defensive back, and tried to fill the void at QB in '52 when the great Haywood Sullivan suddenly signed a baseball contract with the Boston Red Sox. If Sullivan had stayed, I expect folks would now think that Woodruff was a lot smarter coach.

As for Woodruff. He may have loved the dive play about that time because he did have Rick Casares running it. He also had Casares (whom I saw kick over 60 yds in H/S) to do the punting whether on 3rd or 4th down. Woodruff was a protege of the legendary Gen Bob Neyland and, like his Mentor and every other top coach, emphasized the kicking and field position game in those days.

Before you started casting pebbles at Woodruff, I am sure that you knew that he did lead Florida to its first ever top 20 finish, and an upset of Alabama. He also was coaching against such legends as Wally Butts, Shug Jordan, Bobby Dodd and Gen Neyland (52). Although overshadowed by others over his career, Alabama's coach, Harold Drew, was the 1952 SEC coach of the year. Woodruff faced formidable opponents every year of his tenure.

I was in high school in Jax at the time Dickey was playing, and UF gave high school football players free end zone tickets (in the South temporary stands) at that time. So, any guys who could get to Gainesville would show up for the games. (My future father-in-law, an original Bull Gator, also took me from time to time.)

I mentioned the jokes about Dickey, and his cheat sheet, but he was smart enough for the Tennessee AD, one Bob Woodruff, to hire him as HC. Then Florida hired him as HC, and finally Tennessee hired him as AD. Woodruff and Dickey were credited with bringing the UT football program back from the wildnerness. So, they both did ok in life.
  10. g8t0rb8t

g8t0rb8t Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +119
    Reminds me of the anecdote of the Tampa Bay defense literally calling out the plays before the Raiders ran them in SB XXXII.

I honestly don't see anything wrong with reading someone's lips during a game, or having a an ex-Rebel employee doing it, unless there was an NDA in place. If you notice the other sideline trying to tell their DB that the slot receiver is uncovered should you not throw the ball to the slot?
  11. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,549
    The "analyst" positions that Saban is credited with creating should be reviewed (by the NCAA or SEC). He's literatlly bringing in "analysts" (who are NOT "coaches", but "staffers") who are leaving paid, on-field coaching positions at smaller colleges to go to Bama to become an "analyst". These coaches are leaving coaching positions to serve in a non-coaching position. It's amazing. I believe Texas and LSU are also doing this, but haven't really heard of many other programs that are employing "analysts". The NCAA did approve "director of recruiting" and other similar positions (which are non-coaching positions also), but they are different from these new "analyst" positions.

Regarding this story, you better believe Siskey was stealing signs....and you better believe that was his job during the game!
  12. ovillegator

ovillegator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,281
    There are other F words it might be mistaken for... :whistle:
  13. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +74
    These will be next in the Bama coaches box ...

[​IMG]
  14. Claygator

Claygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,129
    Why?
  15. phideltdj

phideltdj Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +684
    I've been saying forever that we need to do the same as Bama...oversign players and bring in more coaches as analysts as well. They have 7 different coaches look at a recruit before they will offer...that is why they miss on so few...and if they do miss they have oversigned enough that they can weed them out and keep the best players. It is a huge advantage and the only way to combat it is to copy it.
  16. slmdLS1

slmdLS1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    He is clearly yelling to the coaches on the headset "It's a Pass"...about 8-10 seconds before the play. Given that it was 4th and 6 yards, the LB's didn't take 1 step towards the LOS.
  17. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Well the odds that it's going to be a pass on 4th and 6 are pretty high, really. And relaying that from the booth to another coach to the field might be pushing it at 8-10 seconds anyway, honestly.
  18. slmdLS1

slmdLS1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    Thats why I said "Given its 4th and 6".

But 3rd and longs happen all the time and teams run draw plays to throw the Defense off.

8-10 seconds is plenty when all the defense needed to hear was "pass" from the sideline, and they've got 7 guys covering 3-5 guys.

regardless, its pretty obvious and egregious.