Diabetes Weight-Loss Study Ends Early With Surprising Result

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by Dreamliner, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +822
    Why would anyone want to replace a meal with a shake ? Is the shake incredibly tasty, I mean tastier than steak and potatoes ? Tastier than carrot cake ?
  2. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +355
    The only reason should be convenience. I would much rather eat a meal but sometimes it's easier to have a shake.
  3. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +822
    I can understand that.
  4. ATL_Gator

ATL_Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,399
    I would wager that a lot of people (not all) don't actually replace a single meal, yet drink the shakes anyway.
  5. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +822
    I'll bet that a lot of people just think that drinking the shake is going to magically improve their health.
  6. ATL_Gator

ATL_Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,399
    Not sure I would have gone with "improve their health" at the end...

"look like Arnold at Mr. Olympia" may have been a better fit. :)
  7. MeyerIsBack

MeyerIsBack Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +227
    People are just believing all the extraordinary claims told to them by the sales reps. I am astounded at how many people buy into this stuff.
  8. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +822
    Well, it's no different than people believing that they eat their way into diabetes.
  9. MeyerIsBack

Ratings Received:
    +227
    Maybe a little different
  10. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    I make some delicious shakes.
  11. Gatormb

Gatormb Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +809
    Well I gained weight and blood sugar went to 263, AC1 of 8.1, BP 135/90

Just got my annual physical results yesterday after dropping 37 lbs while watching carbs and no alcohol for 2.5 months.

Sugar: 98
    AC1: 5.6
    BP: 117/75

Not bad for a 300 lb'er. 40 to go! Yipee! Exercise starts as soon as the gout leaves the big toe. Watch out!!:whoa:
  12. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +822
    That's great! Stomach-stapling and stomach-decapitation will also bring down blood sugar, as will starving. Still doesn't prove that people eat their way into diabetes. If that was the case, how do we explain all the skinny diabetics ?
  13. MeyerIsBack

Ratings Received:
    +227
    But if a bunch of people are able to reverse diabetes or control their blood sugar by losing weight, why does it matter what you consider the 'root' cause? I can not for the life me figure out what you are arguing.
  14. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +822
    How could you have missed my argument ? It's basically: (1) obesity does not cause diabetes (2) losing weight doesn't prevent heart attacks (3) no tenable link between weight-loss and remission of Type II diabetes.

But if any diabetics want to lose weight, more power to them. I'll just sit back and watch them gain the weight back.

I just don't understand why they would want to torture themselves though, especially since most find they can control their blood sugar via weight-neutral strategies.
  15. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +822
    Also, I don't buy this dismissive, "Hate the sin, love the sinner" rhetoric from the pudge police. Since weight-control is so difficult for so many, and can lead to even more serious problems long-term, a war on fat amounts to a war on fat people.
  16. MeyerIsBack

Ratings Received:
    +227
    What 'sin' are you talking about? Eating? Being Obese? Drawing terrible conclusions? This entire argument is about whether being fat is unhealthy. If you conclude that I hate the 'sin' because I think that being obese is unhealthy (based on many provided reputable sources) then your logic is flawed.

WTF? Seriously? Why do you insist on injecting absurd insinuations into a discussion that has produced nothing of that which you are suggesting.

This is the only thing I remotely agree with you about. However, we do have different solutions.

You are a master at putting words in people's mouth and drawing extremely flawed conclusions. The wheels continue to spin and I continue to get sucked in. I need to stop.
  17. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +822
    You think being fat is unhealthy. That's the 'sin' in the analogy. Of course you're mistaken in your assumption. Turns out that being fat is not unhealthy. Being unhealthy is unhealthy. These days BMI is being used as a proxy for health. It's foolish and misguided and is harming people in the process.

Yes, I'm ridiculing people who want to badger people into losing weight. I call them the pudge police. I have a few other choice names as well. But they might get me banned.

And whereas you continue to feign confusion, I know you're not really confused. If weight-loss is stressful and/or harmful (it is), then asking people to lose weight is not doing them any great favors. I call it warring on fat people. I'm asking people to stop the hate.
  18. MeyerIsBack

Ratings Received:
    +227
    I say being obese is unhealthy (based on numerous reputable studies) in a discussion about dangers/perceived dangers of being obese.

you conclude: I am badgering fat people to lose weight (where are the fat people I am badgering?) -> I am the pudge police -> I am not a 'friend of fat people' -> I am waging war on fat people -> I hate fat people

Therefore, a person either ignores/rejects the overwhelming scientific evidence that states that obesity is unhealthy or they hate fat people.

DreamLogic:
    citing scientific evidence = hating fat people

Seems legit :/
  19. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +822
    If there is zero evidence that obesity causes the diseases that it is blamed for, how can you say that being obese is unhealthy unless you have no regard for critical thinking ?

And if obesity is highly heritable, more so than any attribute other than fat, how can you expect someone to change their inherited shape absent malice ?

And if all the studies show the vast majority cannot maintain weight-loss, how can you expect people to maintain weight-loss and not come across as the crazy dude who hangs out outside of 7-11's talking to himself ?
  20. MeyerIsBack

Ratings Received:
    +227
    With this logic, there are a whole lot of people (like every doctor and every scientist that has ever studied obesity) much smarter than me and you that have 'no regard for critical thinking'.

Do you believe the stuff you write? Do you expect me too?

How does this change the fact that obesity is unhealthy?