1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

DFS is impressing more and more with his Parsonian skill set

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by UFreak, Nov 22, 2013.

1. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,149
    I am getting higher and higher on this team as a whole each time I watch them play. I truly believe that the injury to Hill and the early season suspension to Scottie W. may turn out to be a blessing as this team has learned to play without them. Naturally, it is also good to build chemistry and continuity. I get that. But I think/hope we will be OK on that end. In the meantime, we are expanding experience with a variety of ball handlers. This brings me to my official new favorite player, Dorian Finney-Smith.

Absolutely love his skill set and he is reminding me more and more of the type player we had in Chandler Parsons.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. g8rboy

g8rboy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +789
    seems like he does a little bit of everything; and pretty well.

side note, i was worried about 3 pointers, but it seems frazier, walker and dfs will be ok. with wilbekin returning and if hill can find a stroke when he is open, they should be more than fine.
  3. ncgatorfan

ncgatorfan Member since 1996 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +892
    You can see his potential especially in creating his own shot. It still looks like he is trying to get into game shape though.
    I agree about the how the injuries/suspensions may be a blessing in disguise. It's giving others some experience in other positions which could pay dividends down the road.
  4. phideltdj

phideltdj Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +690
    Kasey's injury is not a blessing in disguise...we have to hope he can come back to 100% if you want to win the SEC or NCAA. A less than healthy Hill even with all these players getting the benefit of extra playing time will not translate into championships.
  5. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,295
    Prather + DFS = Winning.
  6. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,149
    I don't think we have reason to believe that Hill will not return and be at 100 percent. He will be back at the end of December, just in time to help us with league play. Naturally, no one wants to see any of our players get injured and Hill, of course, would have benefitted from continuing to adjust to the college game.

That being said, the injury is forcing players to take on new roles to help the team. Expanding one's game is not a bad thing if it is within one's capability to meet these new skills. I think we will learn that it is a good thing in the long run for this team.
  7. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,092
    It isn't like they are amputating his leg. Hill will be back to full strength--it is just a question of when. As long as we hold him until he is fully healthy, he will be fine. That could be the middle of December, but more likely by the start of conference season.
  8. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,092
    They are very similar players. Long, athletic, versatile, can defend multiple positions, rebound the ball, shoot, create their own shot or set up others, play on the ball or off it. Parsons definitely has better hops, but DFS is a better ballhandler.

The rotation come January will be very interesting. I am increasingly pessimistic about Harris and Walker both getting on the court anytime soon and that would mean DFS spends most of his time off the bench at the four (with Yeguete starting at the four, but playing most of his minutes at the five behind Young). His shooting and passing really space out the floor and open both post feeds to the bigs and driving lanes for Prather and Hill. His length and rebounding enables him to defend most bigs (though he doesn't finish well at all in the paint--starting to see why his 2-pt% at Tech was so low while playing the four) and our 2-3 zone is sick with him on the wing alongside either Walker or Prather on the other wing.
  9. jmac83

jmac83 Member

Ratings Received:
    +132
    I'm choosing to be more optimistic than the end of December for his return time, given that there was no ligament or joint damage, but we shall see.
  10. UFG8rGuy3283

UFG8rGuy3283 Member

Ratings Received:
    +30
    DFS can stretch the floor with ability to shoot and he can get into the lane and get his own shot. His rebounding has been impressive even though you can tell he is still getting into game shape and he will continue to improve.

One thing I love is his ability to play multiple positions and defend multiple positions.

If, and it's a big if, how effective could our zone be for 5 minutes a game or so with the back line of WY, PY and C. Walker/Harris with Scottie and DFS up top?

It's not a lineup we would use often, but it's fun to imagine!
  11. UFG8rGuy3283

UFG8rGuy3283 Member

Ratings Received:
    +30
    I get why you feel that way about Harris...have you heard something new on Walker?

Last I saw/heard, he was in very.good shape to join mid December.
  12. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,149
    I wouldn't be surprised to see him start finishing a little better in the paint as the season wears on. After an absolutely nasty spin move in the lane vs. MTSU that left him free at the bucket, he missed the finger roll by no less than a foot. It was a great move but he was no where near the hoop. It was kind of funny.
    One thing is for sure, he is going to put the ball up in the paint because he has magnet hands when it comes to offensive rebounds -- so he his going to be around the bucket with the ball.

Lastly, I was thinking that Harris and Walker may end up getting back about the same time (middle of December). Do you have knowledge that would have them coming back later than that?
  13. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,092
    To both of you, no inside information whatsoever on Walker. But watching this kind of stuff unfold over the years, the lack of insider chatter or even off-handed comments from Donovan gives you the impression we aren't counting on him whatsoever.

On Harris, Donovan has not sounded optimistic at all. In one of the recent pressers, I believe he expressed doubt about whether Harris would ever get back with the team.
  14. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,092
    That has been one of the more impressive thing. I recalled him having a good handle from his recruitment, but his ability to snag the ball in a crowd is very impressive. If he can improve that a little on the defensive glass, our rebounding on both ends could become a real advantage.
  15. Bullis33

Bullis33 VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,116
    Walker working out daily prepping for UF, staff fully expects him playing by Jan 1 at latest as of this week
  16. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,092
    Encouraging "chatter." I shall remain skeptical. ;)
  17. austingtr

austingtr VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +585
    I agree. We wanted him to continue to progress, and learn from Scottie. In the end, he would be the most talented PG. But these things take time. He is missing a lot of practice and game time experience.
  18. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +420
    I really think that Walker and Frazier may be benefitting from the current shortage the most, being forced to do things they aren't usually called on, as Gators, to do.

Hill and Wilbeking and Harris and Walker, if all healthy and functioning well, will make the Gators a little too deep.

Now, that would be a nice situation to be in for a change.
  19. austingtr

austingtr VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +585
    I hate to burst your bubble, but there is no way in hell that there wasn't ligament damage. A sprain is an injured ligament. (Sprained is when the ligaments stretch when they are stressed by inversion or eversion injuries). We don't even know if he had torn ligaments because they only reported negative x-rays. My guess is that he had a severe sprain, but he could have torn something. How many ligaments and how much injured/stretched/torn are they is anyone's guess.
  20. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,092
    Agreed on both counts. With Frazier, he really needed to diversify his offensive game by using the dribble to get a jumper off the high ball screen and penetrating into the lane, both of which are getting a real workout at the one.

With Walker, I think it is more than anything just getting a chance to play and work through struggles shooting. The deeper we are, the easier it is to replace a kid when he not shooting well or letting it affect his game on the other end. But repeatedly Walker has shaken off his offensive woes to contribute in other ways, whether it is being active on the front of the pass, chasing down a run out for a block, getting some penetration off the bounce, or making the right pass in our half-court stuff.