DFS and Harris Out For Wiski

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by 108, Nov 8, 2013.

1. dalwood13

dalwood13 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +6
    Tough to beat them with our full roster? Um, no...
  2. GatorsGators

GatorsGators Member

Ratings Received:
    +25
    Um, yes.

There's a huuuge difference in college basketball between playing at home and playing on the road.
  3. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,620
    Maybe there are different definitions of "blow out" or "beat down." I don't necessarily consider, say, a 20-point loss a "blow out" or "beat down" provided it is a competitive game at various points. Going down 34-5 to Bama out of the gates in the SEC tourney a few years ago, or what happened to us in Arky last year, qualify in my mind. I would be very shocked to see that happen.
  4. bike1014

bike1014 Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Great save attempt, Mariano Rivera. :joecool:

I'd be surprised if we kept it within 10. We are bad on D right now (for understandable reasons), and we'll get crushed on the glass IMO.

Needless to say, we're full of potential and we'll be fine come March if the players gel well on the court.
  5. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +360
    Madison is a very tough place to win at, even when the outside temperature is not 40 degrees below zero.

This team has like 3 fully healthy regulars in Prather, Young and Hill, and Hill is a true freshman trying to learn the offense.

This team, so far has been utterly unable to hit a 3 (7 of 35 - 20% so far), and has also been unable to stop opponents from making the 3. Since Wisconsin shot well and plays a tough zone that good 3-point shooting can open up, something that Gators apparently can't do any more, a win will be something of a surprise.

Of course, that's why you play the games because you never know how things will go.
  6. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,620
    No "save" necessary. Someone predicted "BEAT DOWN" (sic), which in hoops hardly equates to a ten point loss. These posts make it sound like we are fielding a bad team. A starting lineup of Hill, Frazier, Prather, Yeguete, and Young, with Carter, Graham, and Walker. It isn't deep, especially at the one and the five, it is average defensively or on the glass, and we have zero margin for error with fouls, but it is a competitive team with a solid skill level and good experience.

Wiscy hardly manhandled St. John's on the glass, nor do I expect to see us running a bunch of stuff with Kurtz and Prather as our four and five the way we did for extended stretches in the last two games.
  7. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,620
    We can't shoot the three anymore? You mean, through two games? Frazier will be fine once he gets his legs under him and Carter looks better than I remembered from the arc. We need Wilbekin back, though. Regardless, I agree that a win is pretty unlikely given the venue, opponent, and our personnel absences.
  8. BEH

BEH Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +41
    Gators, apparently you all don't watch Wisc. much but they play the slow, ugly game. Florida could go on a long drought and Wisc. may still not score.

It will be an ugly game, but I think Florida wins in a gut it out contest.
  9. GatorsGators

GatorsGators Member

Ratings Received:
    +25
    I'm fully aware of the style Wisconsin plays.

But they were fine scoring a lot of points against St John's on a neutral court. The point values are undoubtedly inflated by the new rules (Wisconsin shot 30 fts), but they are fully capable of putting up points.

It's on the road, in a notoriously tough environment. We're extremely short-handed. I'd be pleasantly surprised if we kept the margin within single digits. I'm not going to get into a debate whether or not a fifteen point loss would be a "beatdown," but that's about what I'm expecting.
  10. gymgator

gymgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +99
    We don't have the depth in the front court to play with the intensity Billy wants. Without Scottie, we are still solid in the back court to turn up the heat, but with only two true big men, we can't run them into the ground. Harris & DFS will be a much welcomed return.
  11. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,620
    I don't necessarily disagree, especially given our struggles defending the arc thus far. We've had a ton of games where the three kept the opponent at or above that ten point threshold the entire game. Wiscy hit 11-23 against St. John's. If they do that to us, it will be hard to stay competitive.
  12. UFish

UFish Member

Ratings Received:
    +84
    Easily IMO. We'll be tough to watch these first few weeks but we should be a much, much better team when it counts.
  13. oneatatime

oneatatime Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +253
    I can't wait until December and especially when SEC play begins and we are hopefully with everybody back from suspension and at fully recovered from injury and illness.

Adding Chris Walker would be a bonus.

Why mention that here. The experience that Kasey Hill and the other guys get at Wisconsin, win or lose, will be invaluable.
  14. TampaGatorFan

TampaGatorFan Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +549
    We'll nip them in OT. Watch.