DeVon Walker

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by HallGator, Nov 19, 2013.

1. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,655
    Re-watching the game and admiring the spin move Walker put on their defense to score early in the game. Top quality move and hopefully a preview of what we will see out of him in the future.

Finished up with 10 points, 3 boards, 1 PF, 2 assts, 1 steal, and only 1 TO tonight.
  2. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +75
    He is going to be key for MTSU. He needs to run the offense and balance the floor on defense. If he can do those things, UF will be fine. Any scoring will be gravy.
  3. Colin

Colin Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,525
    Devon has been a bright spot this year.
  4. bullish

bullish Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +298
    Devon had a pretty good game. I say pretty good because he has improved on TO's and can make some shots from within the system, Billy Ball. What impresses me most is that he has a better handle than I thought, pretty good ball handler. He can get better which bodes well for the future, strength, shooting, jumping higher and being a better defender. All this pretty well stuff is because every few minutes last night a blur flew by heading for the basket and finished. I wonder who that was due to the blur, it was always Kasey Hill until the wheel broke. Nobody on the team has this ability but we will get better until he comes back. I wish Braxton would have stayed, he probably would have improved also and would now be getting good minutes. My fear was with the suspensions too many minutes early at some critical positions and the possibility of injury. I saw a look of concern in Billy's face. He knows it also. Overall, when all the players get here from their journeys, jail time, injuries, we the Gators will have some battle scars. Meaning a very motivated team.
  5. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,572
    very nice game for him. The one thing I hope he improves on is playing within the offense and not forcing shots, although that seemed to be a bit of a problem for a lot of guys last night after Kasey went down.

I think it's something I've noticed over the years with guys who dont get or didnt get the minutes they wanted that when they're in there they feel they need to make the most of it and end up trying to do too much to show what they can do. Shipman and the guy who ended up with the heart problem whose name escapes me were guilty did this too, even Prather to an extent his first year. I don't think it's necessarily being shelfish and when they buy in you see how much more efficient they are and still get their numbers.
  6. Bullis33

Bullis33 VIP Member VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,347
    He has been solid...needs to stop shooting 3's immediately though
  7. swampgas44

swampgas44 Member

Ratings Received:
    +55
    Agree. Yeguete's form shooting the three is much better than Walker's. Walker's misses are measured in feet, not inches.
  8. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,948
    Walker has made a nice sophomore jump. Besides his 3-point shooting, or lack there of, he has been afflicted with some lazy passes. I hope Billy stresses that to him this week because he is going to be needed even more.

I am not sure which is more amazing: Kurtz playing as well or Walker talking about maybe redshirting and playing with this much poise.
  9. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,295
    I follow you here. I have seen the lazy passes thing too. As for his 3-point shot, I get the feeling that he has the green light or he would be on the bench. It is possible that he is simply just slumping right now. Apparently, he lit it up from 3-point range in one of the preseason scrimmages.

Lastly, I am going to go out on a limb here. I am so impressed by Walker's progress/potential, that I think he may play himself into the NBA by the time he finishes his senior year. This is completely out of left field, but he handles the ball quite well. If he continues to improve with that, he could eventually play point a lot more. And at his height, length and athletic ability, he could have an NBA skill set. Granted, it is very early and I realize I could be way off here. But this is one guy who may really, really develop into something quite impressive by the time he is a senior.
  10. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,152
    Not going to start predicting a NBA future for Walker, but he has played well defensively and he has a nice handle. He is great in the press and gets out on the break. As Donovan says, shooting comes and goes. Provided he is taking good shots within the framework of the offense, then you can't fault him too much. I agree that he has to be more careful with the ball. Some that may be rust, some of it may be playing out of position, and some of it may just be Brewer-Prather-Yeguete syndrome with the ball.
  11. madgator

madgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +902
    Like Prather, Walker is going to be a guy who will be a valuable asset to the program for the next 3 years
  12. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,948
    Changing the subject somewhat, what I really liked after Hill went out was the big lineup we had. Other than Patric not being 6-10, I thought we looked like one of those typical Syracuse teams. Long is GOOD.
  13. HallGator

HallGator Administrator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,655
    Having a guy who is 6' 6" playing point is always an interesting twist.
  14. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,152
    he, he, he...
  15. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +462
    You know, actually, Walker played PG in high school his senior year, so, he must have a fairly decent handle.

Billy D said that in practices leading up to the season, that Walker was averaging 3rd best on the team in 3-point shooting at about 42%, behind Frazier and Wilbekin.

As was noted, he has the green light. Recall, this was one of the reasons that Billy D decided not to redshirt him this year, because in addition to his physicality, he was hitting a shot that is not a strength of this team. He is not DFS, but he also is relatively versatile.

As was noted, Kurtz also has really contributed a lot so far. If and when the team is fully manned and reasonably healthy, he may not get a lot of minutes, but right now, he is a very strong component of the team that is being fielded.
  16. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +849
    As noted, the kids seems like a new player.... a year has made a huge difference. Last year, it always seemed like he never saw a shot he didnt like. This year, he has reigned it in some, still work to do, but seems to have a nice upside. No doubt he will be getting plenty of experience the next month or so.
  17. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,152
    So true. He has really impressed me. He is very active, plays within himself, has great positioning on the glass and cleans up loose balls. Kids like Kurtz are what make some of the mid-majors very deep. Their bench is loaded with smart, active "tweeners" (more talented than Kurtz, sure) that can give them good four minute stretches in each half when the opponent's rotation is getting tired.
  18. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +700
    Walker is still not quite there, but he's improved a LOT from last season. Glad he decided to stick around.
  19. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,429
    Who plays the point tomorrow night?
  20. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +700
    Frazier.