Devin Robinson

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by GothamGator, Jun 10, 2014.

1. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +309
    We should have signed Shane Larkin.
    • Funny Funny x 3
  2. Osiris_DPM

Osiris_DPM Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +820
    Lol you knew that was coming next. I'm going to suggest to Billy that he can save himself a hundred or so hours a year evaluating recruits and just wait for your City of Palms report ;)
    • Funny Funny x 3
  3. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,997
    Now you are really dating yourself, Cal.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +309
    Unfortunately, I have missed the last 2 years. However, I did see your boy, Teddy, pop for 56 against a nationally ranked Cincinnati high school team many years ago. 14 for 25 from NBA 3-point range, all of which came off of cross-over dribbles while being face guarded. That performance still might be the most memorable high school performance I have ever seen. Austin Rivers also had some memorable games, but his weaknesses also were readily apparent. I saw Shane play at the now defunct Tampa Clasic and in Lakeland at the State tournament. I don't remember if he played in the City of Palms.
  5. Osiris_DPM

Ratings Received:
    +820
    I remember that game. He was a machine that year - led the nation in scoring. That's his "4 second shot clock" mentality, which he preaches to his kids in practice. Run the court, beat your opponent, score before they set up, score fast, get back and press.

I was looking for something the other day and came across this article. Sent it to him, it was good for some goosebumps - worth a read for a trip down memory lane with quotes from young "Billy the Kid."

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1998-01-27/sports/9801270481_1_donovan-dupay-shaker-heights
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  6. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,131
    I'm still disappointed we didn't go hard after Iman Shumpert years back, signing that football player instead. Can't even remember his name anymore.
  7. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,862
    I was going to make a Phil Chenier comparison, but you talked me out of it.
  8. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +932
    loved watching him at UF and going to the 2000 FF.

Out of curiosity, why did Teddy not play in Europe and is still not playing? Seems like guys with that kind of shot hang around a long time.
  9. InstiGATOR1

InstiGATOR1 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +48
    My guesses on the topic:

A. Starting lineup:

Guards: Hill, Frazier
    Wing: Finney-Smith

B. Other players in the rotation: D.Walker, Murphy

C. UF maybe needs one more player in the rotation, but there is much uncertainty among the other players:

1. Carter, has the proven ability at this level, IF HE CAN RETURN TO HEALTH

2. Graham, Was the most athletic of the frosh in his class, but can he return healthy and still athletic and channel it is a positive basketball direction.

3. Robinson, skilled, but skinny and inexperienced [BTW, it is one thing to hit threes in high school games and another to hit them against SEC defense in the pressure of SEC games.] As far as the skinny goes, it will be interesting to see his weight when UF's new roster goes up. His weight has been listed all over the place, from 170lbs to 190 lbs.

4. Francis, athletically talented, but apparently not very skilled particularly given what a SG does at UF.

5. Chiozza, talented and could get a few PG minutes, but Don0van plays his PG the most mintues.

Still UF really only needs one of these 5 be ready to contribute to have a nice 8 man rotation.
  10. Osiris_DPM

Ratings Received:
    +820
    He did. Teddy played in Venezuela, the D League, and the CBA for 4 years. It came to an end while he was playing for the Rockford Lightning. He had been CBA player of the week for 2 straight weeks and was playing great. The Sonics had traded Gary Payton and needed some depth at PG, so they signed Teddy, and he blew out his knee a couple days later.

He was hobbled by that knee injury for a long time, and just kind of got out of basketball and basketball shape. I got him on a diet, supplement, and exercise plan, and he's in fantastic shape now. He is extremely disciplined about that stuff. He runs with the draft prospects at IMG every week, and plays with college players all the time. He played Monday night and scored 26 on 10-12 shooting. He could still play, but he's building something big here, it's gaining a lot of momentum, and I don't think he wants to leave the kids high and dry before they get it set up to where it can run itself. Just my opinion, but knowing Teddy, don't count out one last run just for kicks. He loves playing basketball, he always will, but the fact he's seeing he can still play at that level intrigues him. He still has the deepest range I've ever seen - he can drop them from 35 feet in rhythm, one after another. He knows a lot of people high up in the game, and they keep asking the same stuff you're saying when they watch him play recently. The pre-draft prospects tell him the same thing. It's kind of funny to see, since most of them were kids when he was a freshman at UF. I never know what he's planning to do until he decides to do it, but I'm always 100% on board to help and never really surprised.
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  11. bakaduin

bakaduin Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +807
    Teddy is a great story and glad to see him helping kids. That being said, he is what? 35? That is pretty long in the tooth to play pro.
  12. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +932
    I'm guessing 34. But yes, I'd say the odds get drastically smaller each year.
  13. tampajack1

tampajack1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +309
    The Compton Dominguez team mentioned in the article included Tayshaun Prince and Tyson Chandler. The talent at the City of Palms that year was off the charts. Now, I'm not saying that any of them were as good as Shane Larkin, but nevertheless...;)
  14. Osiris_DPM

Ratings Received:
    +820
    Again, this is just me talking, not coming from him. His teammates Miller, Bonner, and Haslem are still playing. You should see him out there with these kids who are preparing for the draft. He's throwing oops to Pat Young, burying 3's on MFII and KB, making a gym full of pro prospects erupt when he drops 3 in a row from 30 feet while talking noise to a kid that will be drafted. lol. He's in better shape now than he was as a junior, especially considering he was hobbled with the back injury that year. He wasn't healthy the entire time he was at UF. He finally is. I have him on a great diet and exercise program. Also, his style of play never required a ton of athleticism to succeed; rather, his style of play is about hustle, focus and tenacity. I'm not talking about a 5 year period, but how cool would it be to see him get a 10 day contract or play a year in Europe after a decade away from the game? Talk about something to motivate the kids and others about how it's never too late to pursue your dreams!
  15. Osiris_DPM

Ratings Received:
    +820
    Skip forward to 4:45 :)

16. regurgigator

regurgigator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,862
    I wouldn't mind seeing him try to spell Chalmers or Cole for a few minutes in a little Tourney they're holding down in Miami (and San Antonio). :cool:

Think Dupay would have any chance of staying in front of Tony Parker on defense?
  17. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +383
    People always, and I mean ALWAYS overestimate freshmen.

Look at all the posters who thought that Hill would replace Wilbeking as the starting PG last year. The same thing happened every year with Wilbekin.

Walker is a solid player, and, as rserina noted, has some weaknesses (as does every player on every team).

Teams win with defense, and if he improves his man-to-man, Walker will be the starter. If he doesn't, then other possibilities become more likely.

I am almost certain he will improve his both his man-to-man and his offensive play substantially.
  18. themistocles

themistocles Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +383
    Recruiting is largely guesswork due to the inherent complexity of basketball.

Some, however, have better instincts than others, and I think that Billy Donovan has proven his ability in that way over, and over, and over, and over.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. FakeRickSutcliffe

FakeRickSutcliffe Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +393
    Well it is a testament to my boredom at the office on this dreary late afternoon that I sat and watched that entire video, lol. In addition to coming away with some tips on improving my shooting form, I was left with a question:

Why the heck isn't Teddy coaching somewhere? Is there an issue with hiring him as an NCAA (or even NBA!) assistant because of the gambling thing? That was some time ago and I'm assuming he's had therapy and whatnot.

Mario Chalmers should watch that video. Watch and learn.
  20. GatorPlanet

GatorPlanet Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +626
    Well, I understand his AAU squad has been tearing it up in just their second year.
    I'm a big believer in redemption, and I believe Teddy has turned the corner. I hope he gets a shot at coaching. And soon.