Devin Robinson

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by GothamGator, Jun 10, 2014.

1. GothamGator

GothamGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +923
    Brockway wonders whether he could start next season.

http://brockway.blogs.gatorsports.com/12555/could-devin-robinson-start-for-gators-next-season/

I think he is right that we likely know 4 of the starters for next year (Hill, Frazier, Finney-Smith and Chris Walker). He says Robinson is one of 4 guys who could take that last spot, with the others being Carter, Devon Walker and Horford. I think he missed Alex Murphy.

Personally, I think it's either Carter in a 3 guard lineup or Devon Walker.
  2. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,140
    Great thread. I still remain skeptical about Carter's health until I have good reason to think differently (Donovan still sounded very cautious when asked about him the other week). I would expect Alex Murphy to take the spot, but we don't know when he will be eligible. Devon Walker wouldn't be bad there provided he continues his upward trajectory. Plus, it isn't like starters necessarily get substantially more minutes than top reserves. So much depends upon the rotation, but I could see Walker starting with only 20 or so minutes a game.

On Robinson, it really is hard to project where he will be. I have yet to see him run a single ball screen on film, and he even mentioned that as a weakness of his last summer. That would be a real limiting factor in our system. He has great range on his shot as a spot-up shooter, he can really get out and fill the lane in transition, and he has the length and athleticism to be deadly around the rim. I suspect the bigger question, as with most freshmen, is whether or not he can defend his position. Blocking shots is one thing, but how effective will he be in help situations, rotating over on three point shooters, in pick and roll coverage, or getting back in transition? Donovan has a pretty short leash on freshmen who can't contribute at that end of the court.
  3. gatorfan96

gatorfan96 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +642
    I love Devon Walker, but I think he would be the perfect 6th man for our team next year.
  4. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,429
    Correct me if I'm wrong Goth....but I didn't think Murphy could play until January.
    If so, the likelihood is that someone else is gonna take his place.

Robinson has an incredible upside and his scoring will surprise some folks here.
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  5. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,244
    We may start the season with a three guard lineup but I suspect we'll see more of Walker/Murphy/DFS/MFII/Hill lineup as the season progresses.
  6. bakaduin

bakaduin Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +978
    I don't have as much faith in Devon Walker as many of you do and don't see the player that many of you saw last year.

If Devon Walker starts or plays big minutes then either a) he has improved leaps and bounds offensively or b) we have no shot next year.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,140
    I suspect it is the former, but I am not sure what you dislike. The kid essentially played the four for us as a freshman, then ended up playing the two and some limited one last year. He was great in the press and in our zones, especially the 1-3-1 (gimmicky though it may be). He was good, but somewhat inconsistent in man to man, and struggled shooting save for the hot streak. Regardless, he went from a kid we were supposed to redshirt to a rotation player despite a couple of injuries along the way at crucial stages of the season.

Walker will never be a 12 ppg guy for us, but I see no reason he can't give us what Brewer did as a freshman or Major Parker did as a senior or J-Ham did throughout his career or Orion Greene did before his transfer, provided he gains some more confidence with the ball.
  8. bakaduin

bakaduin Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +978
    I don't "dislike" anything. I've just seen way too many posts getting overly excited about Walker. He is definitely an above average defender but he was absolutely abysmal offensively and I think people forget that because he had a small hot streak mid season. He had, by far, the lowest FG % on the team at 30%. We haven't had a player with as low a FG% since Dan Werner as a freshman in 06-07. We were playing 4 on 5 offensively when he was on the court. Walker isn't starter material at this point in the game.
  9. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,140
    The kid took 81 shots on the year, 63 of them threes. That's less than 8 shots per 40 minutes, or roughly 4 shots a game as a starter. Hardly a good sample. I think everyone would agree that he needs to improve substantially on offense to garner starter's level minutes, but Walker went through two stretches where injuries reduced him to less than five minutes per game. It was no accident that his shooting improved dramatically late in the season after he got healthy and started gaining more minutes (11-22 from the arc while averaging 11.5 minutes over last eight conference games).

I am far less concerned with his shooting than I am with him A) being more consistent in man to man, and B) taking care of the ball in the halfcourt. A negative A/TO ratio will hardly earn you more minutes. But, as Donovan likes to say, the shooting will come. It did last year for Walker and there is no reason to think it wouldn't again if he gets the other phases in order. We desperately need some solid defensive presence to replace our seniors and he seems like a great candidate provided he continues improving.
  10. bakaduin

bakaduin Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +978
    You are right that the end of the regular season was a good time for Walker, hitting 10-19 (52%) during one stretch of games. The problem is, that "progress" was followed up by a stretch of 1 of 13 (7%) shooting in his last 9 games. You argue that increased minutes improved his shooting. In the stretch he shot well he averaged 10 minutes a game while in his 9 game stretch to end the season he averaged 7 minutes per game. I'm not sure that is a statistically significant difference in minutes to account for a 45% swing in shooting percentage.

My point is, unless Walker makes a Casey Prather transformation (which we can't rule out) he is a very good role player on this team and a valuable contributor but is not starter quality.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. GothamGator

GothamGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +923
    I don't think that the question was about who would start on day one, but who would end up being the starter most of the year. Alex can start playing in December (maybe sooner if he wins an appeal), so he could definitely be the starter most of the season if he earns it.

The interesting thing is that our 5th starter could be anyone from a combo guard (Carter) to a 2/3 (Walker) to a 3/4 (Robinson, Murphy) to a pure center (Horford). That's an interesting testiment to the flexibility our starters provide.
  12. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,140
    I wasn't saying there was some identical correlation, but you also have to grant that those last nine games featured games in some fairly inhospitable shooting venues. Lots of guys struggled with some of those.

Again, I don't disagree at all that he must improve substantially to stay ahead of Murphy, Robinson, Francis, etc., but I don't think he needs a Prather-like improvement (which outside of Noah may be the single most unexpected development under Donovan--unless you are Tampajack, who saw it coming all along...he, he, he). If he can give us what a J-Ham, a freshman Brewer, or a senior Parker did (good, versatile defender who can guard multiple positions, hit some spot up threes, be smart and make the right pass, get loose balls, etc.), then I think it is reasonable he could get starter's minutes (maybe something like 6-8 pts, 3-4 boards, 1-2 assists, in 18-22 minutes).

Then again, if Murphy or Robinson blow up like we think is possible, this is all academic.
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2014
  13. ETGator1

ETGator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +220
    My lineup would look this way:

Center: Jon Horford/Chris Walker
    Power Forward: Chris Walker/Alex Murphy/Dorian Finney-Smith
    Small Forward: Dorian Finney Smith/Devin Robinson/DeVon Walker/Jacob Kurtz
    Shooting Guard: Michael Frazier II/Eli Carter/Dillon Graham/DeVon Walker
    Point Guard: Kasey Hill/Chris Chicozza/Eli Carter/DeVon Walker

Beyond Jon Horford, UF doesn't have a true center. The transfer from South Florida, a 6'11"/245 center, can't play until the 15/16 season.

Casey Prather wasn't a good outside shooter either. Dorian Finney-Smith can take the slasher role. He's bigger than Prather was to boot.

Alex Murphy won't be available until mid-December.

DeVon Walker can play the 1, 2, and 3. Unless he improves dramatically on the offensive end, he'll be a good role player.

Walk on Jacob Kurtz, 6'6"/210 SF, will be back for his senior season. He plays good defense and knows the system. He'll get a few minutes.

Bottom line, no, I don't see Devin Robinson starting for UF unless it's during the time Alex Murphy is unable to play.
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2014
  14. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,918
    Um... Graham?
  15. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,140
    Not at the three. Two mostly.
  16. ETGator1

ETGator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +220
    Thanks, yes, Dillon Graham is on my 2 line. Like Eli Carter, it'll depend on his bounce back from injury and his performance.
  17. Osiris_DPM

Osiris_DPM Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +873
    Not going to be Carter
  18. flwgator2

flwgator2 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +363
    You forgot Brandone Francis.
  19. gatorcal

gatorcal Member

Ratings Received:
    +90
    Assuming Carter is healthy, I'd love to see him come off the bench as our offensive spark. He can be our Vinnie Johnson.
  20. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,244
    I think Osiris' post is enough to torpedo that dream.