Depth Chart Released

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by nortonis, Aug 26, 2013.

1. MtownGator

MtownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +329
    So glad to see my guy Solomon Patton is back.
    He is an X factor if we use him the right way.
    Hope you've healed up now -- so go give em hell.
    Speed kills
  2. RaptureVeteran

RaptureVeteran New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    i know this, i was subtly trying to prove a point that taylor not being a good blocker has little to do with him starting right now. i see it as a motivational ploy or maybe hes just not picking up the playbook. running wrong routes, dropping passes, who knows. but to say that taylor isnt a good run blocker is the reason for him not starting is a pretty poor excuse when reed was, honestly, garbage as a run blocker
  3. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Reed sucked but Reed was a better athlete and at least functional blocker in the staff eyes. When Reed was in the game there was a chance he would block attached to the line so the opposition had to respect it with personnel. When they flanked him out it caused major match up problems

Also there wasn't many alternatives to Reed. With Clay and Westrboke having another year there are more alternative. Plus Reed was our best receiving weapon where Taylor is not. If Reed was not a TE they still wold have put him out there to catch footballs. With Taylor if he cant help creat personel problems they would rather put Burton or Fulwood or Pitman in the game

Muschamp made it clear they told Taylor to add weight and become a better blocker clearly that didnt happen so he gets to sit on Charlies cooler.
  4. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,334
    Exactly, don't let high school rep cloud your judgement, Taylor is just not that good it happens
  5. oneatatime

oneatatime Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +327
    Although they play different positions in different eras, why do I think that Taylor is viewed by some as the second coming of Chris Doering
  6. mdfgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,334
    They are nothing alike other than tall and white!
  7. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,000
    Agreed on both counts. The situations really aren't similar. For one thing, Reed was a third-year junior and a returning starter, not a sophomore with no real experience. He also ended up leaving a year early for the NFL and getting drafted in the third round. Taylor isn't close to that yet.

I thought Muschamp's breakdown of the "move" tight end position in yesterday's presser was interesting. We don't have this traditional "block and catch" tight end position. Our "move" tight end we can flex, stagger, or play on the line. How the defense matches up with him is key. If he flexes out in the alignment shift and a safety lines up opposite him, then you can run wide with impunity because no safety can handle our tight ends. If the Sam goes out on him, though, you can run inside.

Lots of people worry about the pass threat, but honestly if you look at where Reed was effective last year, it was seldom coming out of a three-point stance next to the offensive tackle and running an intermediate route like a traditional tight end. It was split wide or in the slot or on a screen. He had a few little bounce routes or post corners and such, but they were very limited and you can run those with a second tight end or a slot receiver just as well.
  8. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,139
    We have Trey Burton starting at F Receiver spot. That's like having two TEs out there at the same time, not to mention two Burtons.
  9. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    I would guess we are going to run the same plays we did last year but with Trey Burton playing Reed flex spot. We just wont get some of the favorable match ups we got last year.
  10. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,139
    I think we'll run outside more. That's Jones' bread and butter. He's a classic power, toss-sweep kind of back. We can use a jumbo set, or just put Westbrook in at TE and keep Trey in and swap Solomon for Joyer. It's not a base set, but it leaves more options than a jumbo set.
  11. Gatorstew

Gatorstew Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +106
    It should go without saying that the depth chart dictates the gameplan. Remember, this is WEEK 1 depth chart. It should also also tell you that we're counting on Burton for his blocking abilities while at the same time relying more on our WR's as the threats. If we needed a TE to just streak down the field then, maybe yeah, Taylor is your guy, but I think we can read between the lines here as far as this gameplan goes... block the hell out of them, run the ball down hill, and hit some WR's off play action.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. RayGator

RayGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,058
    I'm glad we have this posted. My younger brother was asking me a couple of questions about the Gator Roster. Now I can like I really know a lot! He'll be impressed....maybe.

:)
  13. acegator

acegator Member

Ratings Received:
    +31
    Would be nice if that OL guy didn't buy that scooter.
  14. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,139
    Not a Taylor homer, but he does have legit 4.6 or better speed. Clay Burton was slow by DL standards, like 4.9 out of high school. Our starting left OT is faster than that. If Clay is going to be a blocking TE, I wish he was bigger, not faster. I think he's got better hands than he's getting credit for, otherwise Westbrook would be ahead of him.
  15. samit23

samit23 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +288
    Thanks for the insightful evaluation. Please come back when Taylor is killing the conference. It might take a year but it will happen.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  16. mdfgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,334
    Well, I too appreciate your insight here buddy. Go bak to your room.
  17. 1984Gator

1984Gator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +99
    Taylor has a lot to learn but he does have some talent carrying the rock and despite what anyone may say here, that does matter. We'll see if he redshirts. I think he'll get some carries. It's Jones job to lose and Mack's future is not looking that good!
  18. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Was he talking about Kelvin Taylor or Kent Taylor? On the RB's Kelvin should win the last RB spot since he has been on campus longer
  19. samit23

samit23 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +288
    Looking back I'm not sure. But like Muschamp says this is a process. Kent just needs more time.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  20. Pieisyummy

Pieisyummy Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +121
    Did Kent Taylor get hurt?