Depth Chart Released

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by nortonis, Aug 26, 2013.

1. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,288
    I agree with you on Showers he has his plays he is not running up the middle. We have 3 guys that play CB that is all it is.
  2. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,465
    I remember how bad Joe Haden looked in his earliest games. I think Purifoy has shown more than Haden did early on, honestly.
  3. revthejedi

revthejedi Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +118
    Patton starting is a surprise, I figured he'd be a situational/slot guy. Showers returning kicks probably indicates that he has great speed, can't wait to see what he does with the ball in his hands.
  4. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +771
    I like the way our passing down package looks, pulling Powell over from Sam to Buck. I assume Ball stays at Will on those downs, giving us a lot of length and speed on the weak side edge. Hopefully Poole can bring some of the same versatility Elam brought to the nickel spot. He's got just about the same build. I think he's a bit faster. Marcus Maye is very promising at dime. He and Poole will probably made a few mistakes, but I bet they make some huge plays as well.
  5. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,288
    Patton is going to play a lot but I think people take these depth chart too seriously. Robinson might not start but he will play a ton. Dunbar will just move to the Z. The offense is more about personnel groupings and packages than a straight depth chart.
  6. WeWinWeEat

WeWinWeEat Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    Kent Taylor no where to be seen.
  7. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,678
    Brown Showers.
  8. PowerGator

PowerGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +68
    Exactly my thoughts. We are in desperate need of playmakers and was hoping this 5* TE could help contribute. We will see what happens though.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  9. slayerxing

slayerxing Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +527
    UF just lost their starting tackle. A guy that was going to play back up at guard is now sliding over and now another back up is playing guard. It could be like this for at least two weeks, it isn't ideal, and if you get one or two more injuries then UF is really in trouble now.
  10. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,043
    Burton at TE just boggles my mind. LOTS of running...
  11. qwghlmgator

qwghlmgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +152
    Totally agree. I think Showers is going to be the X-factor on this offense by doing a lot of things - including carrying the ball. But, he's not going to be a true running back for us. So third option here makes sense if he knows the protections better than the frosh.

As for Purifoy, he was a starting cornerback in that Georgia game. A game where we held Murray to 150 yards and three interceptions (a QBR of 9.7). The same Murray that went for 265 and 1 interception (a QBR of 32.6) against Bama's vaunted defense (not to mention going off for 427 yards/5 TDs/89.7 QBR against Nebraska). I guess Roberson did all that while Louichez was running around missing tackles?

What more do you want? :roll:
  12. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +754
    So we only have 6 total seniors on the two deep for the entire roster? Hopefully if the juniors stay we "should" be flat out nasty for 2014.
  13. baygator1

baygator1 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,575
    Apparently, that's his approach to football at UF (saw this in a post from AS). No coincidence that he's MIA on the depth chart.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. RaptureVeteran

RaptureVeteran New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    cool, i was sort of assuming that he was just going against the trend or something.
  15. RaptureVeteran

Ratings Received:
    +1
    thats my biggest disappointment right there, a tall TE with play making ability getting beaten out burton and westbrook, thats not a good thing to me. i dont see this being a situation where westbrook and burton are actually going to give much in the pass game, i assume that all 3 guys ahead of taylor are just much better run blockers. i cant see any other reason why he couldnt break the top 3 in what i considered a relatively awful TE unit without Reed
  16. socraticsilence

socraticsilence New Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    Its a bit weird that we signed the #1 and #2 players at the position and neither of them can beat out converted defensive linemen.
  17. RaptureVeteran

Ratings Received:
    +1
    and converted defensive linemen who werent really that good at their job last year
  18. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +591
    Well they just are not that good, I am sure west rookie and burten are better than u think
  19. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,661
    The "guy that was going to play back up at guard" and "is now sliding over" was a starting tackle at Nebraska as a true freshman two years ago. I agree that it isn't ideal, but could you even imagine what it would look like had this happened one of the last two years? We at least have the depth, versatility, and experience to mitigate the losses for a few weeks. I am not saying this is a good thing or we are better off without Green, but we are in a far better position to absorb his loss than other programs might be.
  20. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,661
    I honestly do not understand the befuddlement at Burton starting. We play 3-4 tight ends in a game, plus tackles in additional heavy packages. We have a ton of looks and snaps available for these kids to get their chances. We are still going to be a heavily run based team this year and Burton is without question our best blocking tight end, while Westbrook is second. There is nothing surprising about this.

Nor do I see why we should start Taylor and Thompson just because they were so highly rated coming out of high school. Taylor was way undersized and is still figuring out how to be an in-line blocker. That may take some time, but we can still use him in certain packages. And Thompson is coming off an ACL and getting his first game action, plus he is little more than a blocker at this stage and Muschamp has repeatedly said so.