Depth Chart Released

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by nortonis, Aug 26, 2013.

1. nortonis

nortonis New Member

Ratings Received:
    +47
  2. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Nice, although I wish they had made the type smaller, it's WAY too easy to read.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    And wait a minute, I was told quite definitively that when the depth chart was released Kelvin Taylor would be #2. What gives??!
  4. nortonis

nortonis New Member

Ratings Received:
    +47
    Some observations:

Herndon at #2 RB over Showers is a surprise considering many have been touting Showers ability. Lane and Taylor not on 3 deep.

9 OL in 2 deep. We are once again thin at the OL after Green injury.

Patton starting at WR. Robinson backing up Dunbar.

Watkins and Purifoy even at starting CB? I thought Purifoy was a future first rounder.
  5. PSGator66

PSGator66 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +925
    Thanks for sharing.
  6. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    Assuming our o-line stays healthy and our safeties hold up, this is the most encouraging preseason depth chart I've seen on both sides of the ball since 2008.

Dunbar/Patton/Burton/Pittman is the best 4-wide since then, too.
  7. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +850
    Hopefully, Purifoy's tackling has improved since last year. Unless you are Deon, tackling counts. He's a headhunter on special teams, but for some reason not so much on Defense.
  8. slayerxing

slayerxing Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,152
    OL is officially in trouble with Green's injury. We need to hope for a healthy year. That was the worst news of camp.
  9. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,160
    Muschamp spoke pretty highly of his physical player last year:
    http://www.alligator.org/sports/article_d2956830-1b46-11e2-a4ac-0019bb2963f4.html
  10. RaptureVeteran

RaptureVeteran New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    id like to see a deeper depth chart for the OL, lot of freshman on the roster but i dont see any of them on there. 9 linemen listed, i dont see muschamp redshirting all the incoming linemen
  11. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,160
    Okay, how is it "officially in trouble"? Once Halapio gets back, we are fine. We have a ton of guys who can play different positions. Our center and right guard as good as any in the league. Our left tackle has huge upside. We have two experienced newcomers and a gigantic JUCO transfer who can all start. I agree it isn't as good as it could have been with Green, who I loved as a freshman but since then has not been able to stay healthy. But to say it is in trouble is an overstatement. Green was somewhere between our third and sixth-best lineman and he plays at a position where we have two capable replacements in Moore and Brown.

No doubt it sucks and the line may be worse off for it, but this hardly means we are somehow in trouble.
  12. RaptureVeteran

Ratings Received:
    +1
    another thing to take note of, 3 freshman WRs after dunbar and patton. looks like robinson is the y, slot man this year
  13. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +908
    Excited to see what Showers does as KR.
  14. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,160
    Why not? We don't need more than nine in a game. Practice is a different story, but not a game.
  15. RaptureVeteran

Ratings Received:
    +1
    another question, i thought powell was the buck? i see him listed at sam. not complaining, just trying to figure it out. i figured if anything he would play will and ball would play sam since i imagine you want powell blitzing more often. maybe im putting too much thought into the general designations for 3-4/3-3-5 terminology and assignments. i like that this gets bullard/fowler/powell on the field at the same time, i just dont know how i feel if powell is going to have much pass coverage responsibility as the sam
  16. RaptureVeteran

Ratings Received:
    +1
    just because i know pease likes to use a lot of linemen. 10 would be fine, i guess jackson could be the 10th guy and the rest of the true freshman can get RSed. but i mean, i foresee a game or two where florida goes with 7 linemen, like LSU, and having more fresh bodies helps. i think i answered my own question though, i imagine you can add q.jackson to that list and we got 10 healthy guys which is plenty
  17. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,160
    Muschamp talked about this at length. By running more 34, you balance the defense and take away easy checks to strongside and weakside plays by most no-huddle or spread offenses. You also can't predict who the fourth rusher will be and when you do come with pressure it is a legitimate fifth pass rusher. Yes, it will force Powell into coverage a little more, as it will Fowler from time to time. But I suspect it also means we see more zone blitzes than in the past.

The other notable thing is that Powell will still play plenty of Buck when Fowler is off the field or at end, though mostly nickel packages when we lose the Sam.
  18. gatorchamps0607

gatorchamps0607 Always Rasta Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +4,021
    I suck at editing photos but I did make it bigger. Its kinda blurry though.

[​IMG]
  19. gtr2x

gtr2x Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +850
    As the saying goes "the coach should know", but I rewatched the end of the Georgia game recently after some posters here blamed that loss on the defense, Reed, etc. It wasnt pretty. He got beat at least 4 times on the winning TD drive including a missed tackle on the clinching TD. That, plus a couple of poor tackling games early in the season led to my comment.

CBs have bad games and not ragging on him, excellent all around athlete, just dont see the first round pick that many seem to think he is. Hope I will be proved wrong.
  20. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,624
    I've said this in a number of threads, but I strongly believe Showers is a situational player at this point. Brown and Herndon will run the entire playbook, but I don't see Showers getting carries between the tackles. He's just too far removed from playing RB and a little on the small side. He'll get toss sweeps, jet sweeps or be a fourth WR. I think he can contribute a lot without getting a lot of touches.

Re: Purifoy, he will play plenty and will be there when we need him the most. I think Muschamp is waiting to see how much we'll need him on offense. It's interesting that they didn't put him in the depth chart at WR.