Demarcus Cousins . . .

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by akaGatorhoops, Aug 15, 2014.

1. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest

Ratings Received:
    +1,391
    I hate to see any player hurt. . . so I hope he gets well soon.
    That said, I have not been paying attention and had no idea this kid was on Team USA.
    Couldn't we do better than this jackass? Seriously. . . the kid has tremendous skill, but is a jerk. Why would he be selected? There seemingly is no criteria relating to character, which is a shame considering the honor of playing for one's country.

Ok. . . stepping off soap box.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,556
    well the best center in the NBA plays for the French national team so he wasn't an option

though he likely will, cousins still has to make the cut. Anthony Davis is the clear cut starter and there's speculation the coach k takes his own player plumlee as the second center. Then it comes down to cousins and Drummond if they take a 3rd true center.
  3. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,244
    I don't think Jo is the best but he could have made the team. Funny how that works. Wonder if he now regrets playing for France.
  4. REM08

REM08 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +702
    Kinda strong take, no? Surely you're allowed and I'm not suggesting you don't have your reasons. Just seems a bit strong IMO for a guy who hasn't had off the court issues and his worst sins are related to a poor attitude (not that he's some sympathetic figure or an ideal teammate potentially). I haven't followed the NBA that closely over the years, but have there not been bigger head-scratchers on the USA roster in the past? Guys like Marbury or Iverson? Maybe even Anthony to a degree - granted he's straightened up when on USA rosters. Could be wrong, but I don't see Cousins as a derivation from past precedent.
  5. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest

Ratings Received:
    +1,391
    I probably railed about those too. I'm a bit of an idealist. I think a team representing the country should be a collection of great players, teammates and high quality character individuals. Though I think he recently punched an opponent, Cousins recent stint of good behavior does not qualify him ... At least by my criteria. But to Nswer your question... A bit harsh? Yes.
  6. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest

Ratings Received:
    +1,391
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +172
    Cousin's main problem is that he's gawd awful at defense. Apparently he's actually trying now that he's attempting to make the team. I'm sure the Kings love seeing him bust his butt for the national team when they're the ones paying him millions of dollars.
  8. bakaduin

bakaduin Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +977
    DeMarcus has some personal issues though he has done well over the last few years. The last go round he didn't make the team because many of the established players found him to be too chippy during practices.

That being said, he has blossomed into one of the best players in the NBA and the argument could be made that he was the best center in the NBA last season. At the very least he was the biggest screw job when it came to all-star voting. His PER last year was 26.2 (which led all centers). His EWA was 17.8 which led all centers.

His defense lags somewhat behind his offense, and that, coupled with his attitude, had many expecting him to be left off Team USA for Plumlee. The reasoning was, Plumlee was a better defender, doesn't need offensive touches, and is a better team player. Team USA didn't need offense with Durant/George/Rose/etc. Then George was injured and Durant left the team and suddenly the US need buckets. Cousins is likely a lock to make the team because of this.

TL;DR: DeMarcus Cousins is one of the best young players in the NBA and seems to be improving his off the court issues.
  9. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest

Ratings Received:
    +1,391
    I am not going to dispute his talent.

I guess my point is . . . the honor of a roster spot on a team representing the country should be reserved for those who do not need improvement with off-court issues.
  10. bakaduin

bakaduin Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +977
    I think that would be true if our best players were playing. When you've already got players like Lebron, Kobe, Dwight, Wade, Bosh, Melo, Paul, Durant, Love, George, etc not playing then you take the good players you have even if they have flaws.
  11. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +172
    Demarcus has been a good player on offense but the rest of his game has been a train wreck. He doesn't do any of the other things necessary to be winner or a leader on his team. He shouldn't sniff the All-Star team until he stops moping around the court and starts competing on both ends of the court.
  12. BengermanV

BengermanV Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +879
    Cousins is a really, really good basketball player. Funny how the Kentucky hate carries on over to the NBA.
  13. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops Guest

Ratings Received:
    +1,391
    I am not sure if this was directed to me . . . but if so:

Yes. . . I know he is a really, really good basketball player. That was never my gripe.
  14. corpgator

corpgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +792
    He is a beast on the block. Top 5 PER. He has mental issues, but so do millions of other Americans.