Dem Rep stumped by simple question re: abortion bill

Discussion in 'Too Hot for Swamp Gas' started by JerseyGator01, Jun 18, 2013.

1. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,312
    Lets just all admit there are allowable murders in our society, like self defense and capital punishment, and an early to mid term abortion is one of them. That way the women's right to choose us a non-issue and the debate surrounding it goes away.
  2. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,611
    Even if you go that route, you abandon any notion that the legitimacy of those special "murders" is connected to desert -- a person justifiably using lethal force *deserves* his life at that point more than the one he is using it on. Abortion throws that right the hell out the window.
  3. GatorNorth

GatorNorth Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,312
    Well. lets legalize euthanasia at the same time to balance things out.

Actually, I wasn't saying there's a moral equivalency to my suggestion. But we'll never solve the debate on here either.
  4. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator

Ratings Received:
    +1,094
    To what end? Should the government be able to use your extra kidney to help someone who needs it more than you do? Let's be honest about whether or not this is really about the use of force to help the most vulnerable and unable in our society.

Nobody has a right to use your body against your will, clearly we all don't agree on this, but that remains the crux of the issue. We can argue about rights or we can spend our effort working on solutions that don't involve calling on Big Government for help. But we all know that our prison population is running a little low and we need to find some way to put folks away. I mean, we are talking about murder, right?

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS
  5. MichiGator2002

MichiGator2002 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,611
    Reminds me a joke told by one of the wireless operators to his partner on the "Titanic" during the sinking --

"So the problem is we have a hole in the ship, lettingall this water in, right?"
    "Yes"
    "Seems to me that we just need to make another hole, to let it back out again"

I don't think you meant to make a moral equivalency as such, but I don't think you are giving enough attention to the fact that those other things are only tolerated on the grounds of that moral principle.