1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

Defensive Tackles

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ETGator1, Jun 25, 2014.

1. ETGator1

ETGator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +216
    We should have added another JUCO in 14. I'd have a heckuva lot less worry right now. You can bet we add one JUCO in the 15 class plus hopefully 2 or 3 more freshman counting Andrew Ivie.

Since you mentioned Riles, how is it we missed on him so badly? He was recruited for DT. He has the size and physique of a DT, more than an OL. After the season, he was moved to OL. It only took 6 months on campus to see he wasn't a fit at DT. Why wasn't this seen in advance?

Something is amiss in Gator land. We only have 2 DTs with any playing experience (FSU has 6), DEs playing TE, TE washing out of the program, a LB playing FB, a CB playing WR, a SDE playing DT, a recruited DT moving to OL in 6 months, highly rated DTs that weren't allowed on the field last season even as the 13 season imploded, and more injuries in one season than I have ever seen since I started following college football in 1965.

I was originally thinking we'd have a 9-3 season in 14. Right now, 7-5 looks closer to reality.
  2. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    They didnt think they needed a JUCO else they would have went out and got one it really isnt about me and you worrying it is about them. I am really not sure how many more they add this cycle. They have 4 talented young ones already on the roster and some big DE's. I would take Jeremiah Ledbetter and another high school player.

I think you assume the staff didnt know who Riles was when they got him. They did know who he was. Riles had to wait for a commitable offer. There were always questions about his temperament to play the position. But he was a JUMBO athlete with upside so they took him not everybody is going to be an all american. Just like the took Westbroke as a JUMBO ath. Now Riles will move to OL where there is a decent chance he turns into a pretty good OL. He moves well he has the power he can put on the weight. If he doesnt he leaves the program. Bama has a ton of kids leave the program.

I see players washing out of programs all the time. We just watched UGA lost their whole starting secondary to transfer but maybe you were not paying attention to that. Actually they lost 3 to transfer and another DB has been moved from DB to WR. UGA only has 3 TE's on their roster now since 1 of their recruits just quit. I see players changing positions all the time. Urban moved his starting FB to LB at OSU. 3-4 DE's play DT for many teams this isnt something new it happen on the team the last few years with Easley. You mention what FSU did but I can give you what LSU did last year they have less experience than UF at the DT spot

Would you like to make a bet on the season?
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  3. ETGator1

Ratings Received:
    +216
    GATORAZ, FSU has 6 players listed at DT on their current roster that played last season. Yes, some played at SDE and DT which means the nolies had to be using a lot of jumbo 4 man DLs. You have to get down to DT #7 before you get to their lone RFR. DTs #8 and #9 are true freshmen.

Your offering a bet on the season record is unacceptable. It could be that Roper turns the Gator O around in 1 season like Malzahn did at Auburn last season. Just being able to get 1 upset would make you a winner. I'm not going to make that bet.

Charley Pell said God smiles on teams with good defensive tackles. UF hasn't given God enough reasons to smile on the team.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,476
    I agree with you on wanting as many good dt as possible I too am worried about our depth here, but I would take the over on your 7 win season call all day long. And if you think it's not a good call don't lay it out there! The sharks will nite...
  5. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    I am still confused why you are bring up FSU.

Of course you are not going to make the bet because you dont believe in your own stated opinion.
  6. DieAGator

DieAGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,923
    Az, you just never give up. Lets see how the season plays out. Both sides of this argument are reasonable at this point. I just wish it was only our D front that cast personnel concerns on the upcoming season.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. ETGator1

Ratings Received:
    +216
    I bring up FSU because they are the defending national champion and the preseason favorite to repeat and for good reasons. One of which is their DL.

UF should not ever be this far behind FSU in depth chart and player development. UF has tremendous advantages and should not be taking a backseat to anyone in the state of Florida.

7-5 is a reasonable guess at the season record, but it could just as easily be 8-4 which most of the prognosticators are going with. I don't think 9-3 is possible with what we know at this time.

I also think it reasonable to not want to bet on a fluid situation wherein Bostwick and Brantley could step up to be beasts on the DL. My position remains that they need to play early and often in the first 3 games to give them experience. I'm not willing to bet on how that turns out.
  8. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    You think UF is that far behind FSU on the DL or front 7? How did FSU depth chart on the Dline look last pre season when they won the title? How did their OL look last pre season?

Like I said you dont believe the team is actually going to be 7-5 and lol at 9-3 not being possible you don't believe that either.

They are going to play more than two DT's in the first 3 games of the season.
  9. ETGator1

Ratings Received:
    +216
    I do not think 9-3 is possible at this time. The offense is a work in progress and we lack experienced depth at DT. After what happened with our kickers last season, who is to say we don't suffer a repeat lack of performance. There are too many questions for this team to be better than most are predicting.

I didn't mention front 7 or the OL, you did. FSU both last year and this year has seriously better DL depth than UF, particularly at DT. I've done the exercise myself and it is as I told you. You go look for yourself as you apparently don't believe me.

As Muschamp has revealed, UF's 2s at DT haven't closed the gap with the 1s. It makes sense to me to play the youngsters, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Muschamp rotate three at DT, Cummings/Orr/Bullard. It's not what I'd do, but it wouldn't shock me to see it happen. I'm not convinced Muschamp is going to play the 2s until they can close the gap with the 1s on the practice field. I learned to swim when I was thrown off the deep end of a dock..........
  10. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Wait so right now 9-3 is not possible but it could be in the future lol? That doesnt make sense. If it is possible later on this year then it is certainly possible now. It is not like we are going to get new players on the team between now and the season starting.

I have a question for you when Muschamp was talking about the #1's and #2's what specific players was he talking about? I watched that press conference and he said of course it wil be different when guys like VH3 Fowler Cummings and Orr are playing
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. ETGator1

Ratings Received:
    +216
    Unbelievable. You have the last comments.
  12. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,476
    Et, he is correct here, your statements about possibilities made no sense, just a friendly FYI
  13. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    At SEC media day Muschamp said he believes he can get 8-10 players in the rotation he needs. Holley has the athleticism to play so it will be interesting to see if he can get enough technique down to get on the field early. Willis continues to keep his weight down it will be interesting to see if he can set the edge on the strong side I am also interested to see if he might be able to slide over to the BUCK.
  14. HotlantaGator

HotlantaGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +816
    Another day, another post where the pessimism and criticism isn't supported by facts.

You think something is "amiss in Gator land" b/c a DT was converted into an OL?

Do you know that UF and many other programs have been converting DLs to OLs for years when the DL ends up not showing the foot speed for defense?With 15 minutes research you or I could come up with a starting 5 of ALL SEC OL who were converted DL.

Later in this thread you sing the praises of FSU and use it as an example of what DL depth should look like.

Do you know that FSU's best OL, Cameron Erving,is a converted DT?

http://www.seminoles.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/cameron_erving_706946.html
  15. ETGator1

Ratings Received:
    +216
    If I wanted to talk about the OL, I'd have opened an Offensive Line thread. I'm glad to see you are so well versed on FSU's OL. That's irrelevant to me as I have much more concern about UF's DL than the OL. FSU's DTs are superior to UF's in depth and experience. It's a wide enough gap for me to be concerned with how we're going to perform against a strong running SEC in 14.

I'm also aware that DL that can't perform often get transferred to the OL. However, my concern remains that UF is low on experienced DTs because we've missed on a few, Riles and Williams being the latest.

Muschamp offered up at SEC media days that he'd rather have talent over experience. Well, I'm glad he feels that way as he has exactly two talented and experienced DTs. The others have a lot of improving and proving to do. I hope they get a lot of early game action against our first three opponents.

I don't consider my concerns to be baseless as they founded on the facts. If you choose to whistle past the graveyard until teams prove they can run the ball down our throats, that's your choice.

With the above stated, I hope I have to eat a hearty serving of crow. However, I fear I won't have to.
  16. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,549
    They did go after a JUCO DT, Jarron Reed. He went to Bama instead (and just got a DUI). He signed w/ us in 2013 but didn't qualify. You better believe UF wanted him back (especially if Bama wanted him).
  17. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,549
    Brantley was in the doghouse all spring, even got called out. Bostwick seemed to make a good impression. I hope Brantley comes around and improves his work ethic.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  18. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +7,988
    That was reportedly the ding on him in HS too.

I am not sure how often you see guys completely change their work ethic. Could be a long shot to ever see Brantley as productive as we'd hope for.

Things do sound positive for Bostwick, though. With Ivie and maybe Holley, plus Bullard getting some snaps inside, there should be enough depth at DT this season.
  19. NoahBeanBizzel

NoahBeanBizzel Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +643
    You must be bored.
  20. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    No they went after Jarron Reed the year prior like you stated. He didn't qualify got arrested for weed in the summer and UF decided not to pursue him for the 2014 class for that reason. They could have went after a JUCO for the class that we just signed including Jarred Reed but they didn't. They did not want him back. They did not recruit him. Just because Bama want to take a player doesnt mean UF wants them to. They did recruit Lamin in the summer but they stopped after getting a commitment from Clark.
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2014