Defensive Tackles

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ETGator1, Jun 25, 2014.

1. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,943
    If our team gets banged up like last year it wont matter but that is not a normal year. I am thinking about a normal injury year.
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,998
    I agree, I don't want to see Cummings or fowler go down
  3. parramoregator

parramoregator Member

Ratings Received:
    +61
    My bad. I did not note the sarcasm font. ;) No big deal
  4. DBCooper

DBCooper Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,253
    I still think we've got 3-4 big first year DL's who may pass some RS freshmen and soph's for meaningful playing time. Last year Bama had J. Allen, A' Robinson and Da Shawn Hand who contributed big time in their first season. They have a freshman OT who is slated to start this year. Auburn had Montravius Adams, Carl Lawson and Elijah Daniel and Ole Miss had Robt Nkemdiche, all first year players who contributed in a big way. I'm not sure if Jernigan started at FSU as a freshman, but he contributed in a big way on passing downs. It is past time for some pleasant surprises from youngsters.
  5. ETGator1

ETGator1 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +227
    I only wish we had 3-4 big first year DTs. We don't. We have two, Khairi Clark 6'2"/308 and Thomas Holley 6'3"/312.

This is the way our depth chart sets up at DT:

1s:
    Darious Cummings 6'1"/297 Senior
    Leon Orr 6'5"/305 Senior

2s
    Jay-nard Bostwick 6'3"/294 Redshirt Freshman
    Caleb Brantley 6'3"/295 Redshirt Freshman

3s
    Khairi Clark 6'2"/308 True Freshman
    Thomas Holley 6'3"/312 True Freshman

Hybrid SDE/DT
    Jonathan Bullard 6'3"/270 Junior
    Joey Ivie 6'3"/271 Sophomore

Outside of Cummings and Orr who were in the DT two deep last year, none of our 2s and 3s have played a single down of college football.

Jonathan Bullard was required to play quite a bit inside after Dominique Easley's injury. Joey Ivie played some towards the end of the year. Neither will likely be able to play full time DT duty as they are too small.

Again, I wish we had 3-4 frosh to step up, but we have to hope both our 2s and 3s can close the gap with our 1s. Muschamp has acknowledged that there is a gap between the 1s and 2s.

With losing Cummings and Orr along with Bullard likely declaring for the NFL, UF should be looking for 3 DTs in the 15 class. I would consider taking 4. I'd have 1 JUCO who can play immediately and at least 2 highly regarded freshmen. Right now, we have 3 star Andrew Ivie 6'3"/285 as our only DT commit. IMO, UF should sign 2 highly regarded freshmen in every class. That way we can wean off our recent dependency on JUCO DTs, Jacobs, Cummings, and the next JUCO in the 15 class. We've signed two highly regarded freshmen in each of the last two year. We just need to keep bringing them in until we get back to a good level of talent and experience.

It would also be nice to see a DE grow into a DT, but Bullard and Ivie are the only two on the roster I see who can do that.

Tim Jernigan started as a true freshman at FSU. What you don't want to do is to look at the DT depth Jimbo Fisher has stockpiled. The nolies go 9 deep at DT counting two highly regarded incoming freshmen. Fisher has stockpiled DTs the way Bowden used to stockpile LBs. Their experienced depth is amazing. I can see why Phil Steele picked them at #1 and to win the national championship. Everybody is looking at the returning Heisman Trophy QB, but FSU's DL, particularly at DT, is loaded.
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  6. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,943
    Hand was in high school last year. The do have a freshmen OT that was the top OL in the country and was an EE slated to start but is still not ideal.

The reason many of us dont see Clark and Holley passing the redshirt freshmen is because the redshirt Freshmen are just as talented as the freshmen coming in. You have got Holley who has only played football for two years. We will have to see how Clark is not that he has lost weight in high school he was so out of shape his Sr year.

The Auburn kids supplement the talent already on the team and I think / hope that our DE's can do that. Bryan was an EE and Willis looked ready to contribute while in high school.

I personally would rather have the redshirt freshmen and sophomores step up and fulfill there potential than rely on true freshmen. The true freshmen have the talent to play with the big boys just not sure they are ready technique wise.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,943
    I dont think it is that easy to sign two high regarded DT's every year. If the staff could just grab two 5 stars they would. This year especially the DT group is thin in Florida and Georgia.

I am not sure how likely it is Bullard goes pro it is certainly a possibility but he is a 3-4 DE (which a lot of people see as a DT) in the league there is not going to be some huge push for him to go pro. If it does look like he is going to go pro the staff should be able to get a commit from JUCO DE/DT Jeremiah Ledbetter pretty much the same type of player as Bullard. Good year the staff can also add Kendrick Norton at DT . We also have to see how Bryan and Willis grow over this season. If we have a bunch of 27-5-285 DE's we can play 3 man front like we did last year at the beginning of the year.
  8. mdfgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,998
    Agree, with this and hope they are as good as we need....I do think holly has the highest ceiling of the 4 baby dt's. Willis IMO is the most game ready frosh
  9. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,419

Well, I'd have to say Easley was extremely fast, but there's a couple of other DT's for UF who had lightening fast first steps too... Ed Chester comes to mind, as well as Ellis Johnson. Tony McCoy was lightening fast as well.
  10. mdfgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,998
    Culpepper was the quickest of them all
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. ETGator1

Ratings Received:
    +227
    ET: It's going to take 2 years for Bryan or Willis to grow into DTs, if ever. Willis came in an inch shorter and 20 lbs. lighter, 6'2"/255, than previously reported, 6'3"/275.

ET: Please, no more 3 man fronts. The SEC will chew us up again. The SEC will be more of a running league after the loss of so many quality QBs.

ET: As I don't consider Bullard to be a DT, I don't want another Bullard for DT.

ET: Other than the above, what you said made a lot of sense to me. :)
  12. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,943
    Willis was bigger in high school he worked hard with his trainer and lost weight coming into UF. You get Willis to 275 and Bryan to 285 and they will has the strength to play DE in a 3 man front which again is kind of like a DT.

You can ask for no more 3 man fronts but they are coming. Muschamp and Lawing want to be multiple. Some of the better defensive teams in the league will play with 3 man fronts at times. As players like Rolin Anzalone MacCalister get more experience they are going to allow the team to do some unique things on defense. When you are in 3 man fronts those ends play like DT's at times.

Here is Ledbetter's film
    http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1664138/highlights/116852377
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2014
  13. ETGator1

Ratings Received:
    +227
    Great! Get ready to watch the ball be run down our throats even worse than last season. I don't like that we have only 2 DTs with playing experience and I don't like the 3 man line.

The Buck is a DE who can play with his hand up or down depending on the play. Playing a 3 man defensive line puts the DL and LBs at a disadvantage to the opponents OL. Bama, LSU, USC, UGA, and FSU will embarrass UF with strong running games.

If UF plays a 3 man line again, I predict a 6-6 or 7-5 record and much upheaval at the end of the season if not before. I guess we won't be watching reruns of Breakfast With The Gators again next summer.
  14. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,883
    Orr and Cummings have to have breakthrough seasons. Bostwick and Brantley have to make huge strides forward and become more than reliable backups. They have to become disruptive in the minutes they are on the field.

There's no question that Bullard will be moving inside on passing downs, but he needs to be able to do more than just slip inside. He will have to occupy OL 30 and 40 pounds heavier than him. Wouldn't be surprised to see Willis become his backup almost from the beginning.

I don't know if we will be a true 3-4, a flex 3-4 or see Fowler who one hand down most of the time. He's a fine defender against the run and can certainly tie up OTs and let our LBs and safeties contain RBs. We just need a enough fresh bodies, albeit capable defenders on the field at the right positions. If we're light at DT, I wouldn't be surprised to see an OL or even a TE move to defense. With all the OL we have, there must be at least one who can play the one technique and occupy a center an OG on almost every play. Mike Pouncey did a nice job of that for part of one season. FWIW, Humphries is faster than all of our DTs and most of our DEs. Not saying he should ever move to defense, but the kind of OL we're recruiting these days are very good athletes.

Would be nice if one of the freshmen DTs could contribute. Surprised to see how big they are, probably bigger right now than the projected starters. Let's see how they do in spring practice before we continue talking about how impossible it is for freshmen to play at those positions. Easley and Floyd were ready to play. We just had a very screwed up coaching situation at the time and not the ideal team leadership dynamics.
  15. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,943
    UF is going to play both 3 and 4 man fronts. Neither is going to disappear from our defense. They will use different strategies for each game. And you are right the Buck puts his hand up or down to change fronts. It is also about who is the best 11. Last year Powell was one of our best 11 so he was on the field a lot. If Ball Anzalone McCalister are better than Cox Willis Bryan we are going to see the OLB's play more.

Everyone would love to have 5 DT's with experience the truth of the matter is we have two and a hybrid. A team like LSU has two young guys starting then 3 redshirt freshmen backing them up. Now they say there is not that big of a difference between the starter that are playing and the back up do you think that is a good thing?

UF on the other hand has two starters that have been in college for 4 years while their back ups are redshirt freshmen there is going to be a drop off

If relatively healthy the team wont go 6-6. None of us will be watching breakfast with the gators show has been canceled.
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2014
  16. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,943
    This would surprise the heck out of me. We are very thin on the OL. We have a ton of bodies to throw in the defensive front 7. If the staff thought we were in as bad as shape as some of the poster would lead you to believe they would have added a JUCO DT and left Riles on defense.
  17. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,662
    How could our head coach possibly let this happen?
    I thought this was his area of expertise.
  18. mdfgator

Ratings Received:
    +1,998
    Good post, I personally am not concerned with Cummings, I really like what I saw from him last year, Orr needs to take a step, as do the two b's, I agree on the fresh bodies, to me that's the most important issue to look for in the fall, can numbers 4-10 along the defensive front make big enough strides to take 10 snaps or so a game, that will go a long way to keeping fresh and avoiding potential injuries. I am also praying I see a few linebackers step up.. Especially if we are going to 3 man lines, we have undersized lber's IMO.
  19. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,419
    Personally, I think Brantley is going to be a monster at DT for us.
  20. GATORAZ

Ratings Received:
    +1,943
    what did he let happen?