DEFENSE!

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by deathroll, Sep 22, 2013.

1. UFFL

UFFL Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +267
    IMO, most of our DB's would be a better cover corner than Purifoy. He can tackle after the catch, but he does not play the ball all that well. I wish we'd play him at safety
  2. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,623
    We rotate pretty liberally at all three levels of the defense. We rotate about 7-8 linemen, 4+ linebackers for the two base spots, and about 6-7 defensive backs. But God knows the approach "Steve" used worked out well for him defensively.
  3. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,623
    Dude, quit being so ****ing passive aggressive and trying to bait posters. Pretty juvenile.
  4. rserina

rserina VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,623
    To the actual point of the thread, you are spot on. The best two defenses I can recall since I started following Florida football in 1987 were 2006 and 20012. This one is on part with either. Great depth, versatility, speed at all three levels. And some nasty personalities, to boot. Easley, Fowler, Morrison are all unbelievably aggressive every snap.
  5. Hankxr

Hankxr Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    But where was Powell - I don't think I heard his name called a single time yesterday?
  6. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,078

I have to say, after watching our first two home games in person, our defense is incredibly fast and very, very good.

If a couple of the DB's would stop taking a few plays off when we get a lead, there would be no limit on this unit. Regardless, I think I can honestly say we might have the best D in the country this year.

It's like watching our 1998 unit... blazing fast, extremely physical, big, strong, and very well coached.

I expressed concerns before the season about DJ Durkin being moved to DC, but color me totally impressed with his job so far. He really has a good feel for what opponents are doing.
  7. oneatatime

oneatatime Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +253
    I don't buy that for a minute. Our secondary is at least 7 guys that can start just about anywhere. Our DL has surprising depth at tackle with no major downgrade and our linebackers have senior leaders and some real quality young guys.

Overall, there are about 15-18 guys that I would take anyday
  8. The_Graygator

Ratings Received:
    +1,078
    Powell got several pressures on the Vols QB and apir of tackles too.
  9. The_Graygator

Ratings Received:
    +1,078
    Don't bother with Real, he's a doom and gloomer to the Nth degree. Unless we're winning every game by 40 points, wait, never mind, he'd still find a problem with it. :laugh:

I don't know why Real even watches UF sports if it depresses him this much.
  10. raycgator

raycgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +101
    Yep Patrick Peterson did it a lot for LSU, and Ace Sanders too in USCe. But I agree, way too risky to risk and injury, but if you're desperate to hit a homerun on a special teams play, they send these guys out
  11. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +613
    One could point to the success of Jack Jackson, Reidel Anthony. Those guys turned games around for us by returning timely kicks. And also one could point to Bubba Caldwell and Jaquez Green as reason not to. Damned if you do, damned if you dont. I do always wonder if Harvin returned kicks against Ole Miss, would we have an undefeated season under our belts?
  12. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +465
    I have no problem with them in on punt returns. I don't like kick off returns though. I'd bet there is a higher rate of injury on those returns.
  13. rball1313

rball1313 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +108
    After Poole went out they went from man coverage to zone, the long pass on the visitors side it appeared Watkins squatted in a short zone coverage when he shouldn't have, and on the touchdown their QB looked Riggs off or he tried to jump the route he thought the ball was going to and blew the coverage. That was totally Cody. Those two plays were over a 1/3 of the UT passing yards, both blown assignments. We didn't go to a prevent def but a soft zone. They don't get some of that late yardage in quarters 1-3. Pass rush should've been better when we knew the run was not happening.
  14. deathroll

deathroll Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +493
    Were also in that same zone when we got the interception along the sideline.
  15. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,029
    I felt the same way yesterday.