Deep NCAA hoops run allowing spring football to fly under the radar

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by UFreak, Mar 31, 2014.

1. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,295
    I've been a poster on this board since the mid 90s. I don't recall ever this little information on the goings on of spring practice, and that includes years when there were ZERO open practices.

It may very well be a good thing as the new offense can be installed with less scrutiny.

Thanks basketball :\
  2. orangeblueorangeblue

orangeblueorangeblue Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    I mean we were out less than a week earlier the three seasons prior, so I'm not sure that's it.
  3. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,295
    Yes, but clearly UF fans had much higher hoop hopes than in three previous seasons, I would think it is safe to say. This Gator basketball team has been on a historic run and has been a huge headline hog.
    I don't know ...
    Something, I just feel (real or imagined?) that there is less spring football chatter than usual.

I guess hanging a shit 4-win season prior to spring could have led to it too???
    • Agree Agree x 4
  4. KronoGator

KronoGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,496
    It could be people are paying more attention to a great team making another run at a national title, or it could be people have heard that the O is suddenly going to be great, "we mean it'! from spring practice 3 out of the last 4 years.

Less people caring is never a good thing.
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    This theory, however, makes much, much more sense.
  6. UFreak

UFreak Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,295
    I think a mixture of the two.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,917
    I posted before that this is going to be a pretty tough slog for Foley if next season doesn't show some marked improvement. My guess is that we are talking about practice and most of the focus will be on the spring scrimmage. But if things don't become fun early then I can see a major pall that sits over football and that will have some economic consequences.
  8. orangeblueorangeblue

Ratings Received:
    +2,878
    I really can't see it. Expectations or not, we were deep in the hunt until approximately the same time last year. I think it has far more to do with our worst season in 30+ years.
  9. tommyvee

tommyvee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,308
    Hmm...another hoops thread. :)
    • Funny Funny x 2
  10. UFLAW81

UFLAW81 All Glory to Zarathustra VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,754
    GSU Eagles.
    I will never hear the end of it.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,579
    Well, we should know right out of the gate if the O truly is improved. If we struggle to put up 40 points vs. Idaho, IMO that will be a bad sign. Idaho gave up 40 or more, I believe, 9 times last year. We saw the last 2 seasons (under Pease) 27 & 24 points vs. decent MAC teams in the openers and we didn't "sit on the ball", we ligitimately struggled to reach those totals. Honestly, unless Garcia pulls a Pouncey and rolls 47 snaps back to the QB I don't see how we won't see improvement....and "fun".
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. brimley

brimley Member

Ratings Received:
    +102
    We can't handle the truth!
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. gatorcity

gatorcity Member

Ratings Received:
    +272
    I was thinking the same thing a couple of weeks ago when WM had his first spring press conference. I don't believe there was even one thread here about that, which I found shocking...and IMO it has nothing to do with basketball.

Just talking to the few dozen of my fellow UF-alumni that I'm close with, at least half of them thought WM should have been fired, the other half are on the fence and maybe one or two are still behind Muschamp. Although they all have one thing in common - a startlingly low sense of enthusiasm for the upcoming season. I've never seen it quite like it is now. Not in decades at least. And I'm sure that's got to be rather indicative of the majority of gator nation out there.

Yes we've gotten a new OC but I think people have heard that one before a couple times by now.
    Yes we should expect to be healthier this year than last but I think eventually people grow tired of excuses.
    Yes we should be better at offense but I don't think anyone is holding their breath.
    Its tough to get real excited going into a season when you look at the schedule and see that you may be the underdog in nearly half the games.

We're going on nearly 5 years now of football with very few attractive qualities. Horrible offense, not many star players, losses piling up, etc. That's a loooong time.

Luckily the basketball team has been kicking butt during that same span.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. gatorcity

gatorcity Member

Ratings Received:
    +272
    I even have one fellow alumnus friend that used to be staunchly behind Muschamp even after this season until yet another strong run by Billy D's gang here really opened his eyes as to what a well-coached team looks like and how dysfunctional the football program is right now. And he's right. Billy D has gotten this team to play so well and so consistently over such a long period of time, its amazing. IMO that's got to be one of the hardest parts of coaching these kids - coming up with a process that yields such consistently good results over time despite all the variables they are inevitably faced with. WM however, has our football team playing like the chart of an EKG or the stock market (the occasional high spike here and there but a lot of crashes as well)
  15. UFGator05

UFGator05 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,259
    It is already suffering economic consequences for the university and city of Gainesville. Haven't seen anything like this for 30+ years
  16. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,769
    I don't think last season has anything to do with it, that would be kind of sad if that's the kind of perseverance our fan base had for their beloved gators. I personally think it's the hoops team and the incredible story it's providing. I mean these guys have outperformed everybody's expectations.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. mdfgator

mdfgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,769
    Boy it's amazing, it really does not take much for the pitchfork crowd to start beating the death drum...
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  18. dadx4

dadx4 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,078
    Foozball is da devil..

• Funny Funny x 2
  19. tegator80

tegator80 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,917
    Yes...and it is real. There is going to be a constant uphill battle for 'Champ for the foreseeable future.
  20. slayerxing

slayerxing Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,151
    Bottom line, people aren't excited because very few of us have hope that the season will be anything meeting the normal expectations of gator football. And we've heard the same stuff coming out of spring camp for the entire WM tenure. SO and so is playing well, young player stepping up, walk on is really a good player (never to be seen again).

Add to that the hangover that is still lingering, IMO, after a 4 win season, and I can understand why so many just aren't as interested in football right now.

That being said, I'm super excited about the spring game and will be there in orange and blue. And I'll be very happy.