Day One

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by LeafUF, Dec 3, 2010.

1. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +287
    Most of the people I meet on active duty are in pretty good shape. However, I work with a bunch of nerds. I definitely don't fit in. In fact most of my coworkers clearly look like civilians, where as I am always asked if I was in the Army. Probably why I get these positions, cant think of any other relevant skills.
  2. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,974
    Hehe, one of these days they'll be asking you if you're a professional powerlifter.

Or maybe you and I can just switch jobs since I'm the one who's using less and less equipment.
  3. chrisleakfan4life

chrisleakfan4life Gator Highlights

Ratings Received:
    +14
    Hate to thread jack but since ive been on this 1500 calorie per day diet, ive lost 5 pounds so far in less than 2 weeks, down to 204 from 209 in case anybody was curious.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. ATL_Gator

ATL_Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +323
    Good job.

Out of curiosity, how tall are you?

I have said this in this thread, but 1500 calories a day is less than half of what I currently eat. I currently eat a little over 3000 calories a day, and maintain 205-210 at 6'3".

To me, the mental ability to limit yourself to 1500 calories is impressive.
  5. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +287
    Dont worry about it. I dont think you can thread jack this one anymore, its seriously about everything at this point.

Good work. Will power is impressive and I hope seeing those results will you keep at it and reach your goal.
  6. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +287
    Right there with you. I am 5'10" and when I am working out hard I can eat close to 3000 a day without changing my weight very much. Probably around 2800 average without gaining or losing.

I used to have 1500 calories a day by 3pm. Now I try to keep that lower to around 1000 or 1200. then only eat another 800-1000 in the evening.
  7. G8rChuck85

G8rChuck85 Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +989
    Same with me. I take in about 2600-2800. 5' 11" 205. I want to cut back to about 2000-2200 and get down to about 185. That was my high school/college weight.
  8. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +287
    Chuck you can do it. Last March I was floating around 200 and while I never really looked bad I was out of shape and definitely could afford to lose some weight. Started tracking everything and got down to 185 by June. Then I was on and off until December when I would gain and lose week to week.

Since starting this thread I am down at 175. Which is only a few pounds over the weight I started my senior year of high school at.

And all I have done was track what I am eating and what I am doing in the gym.
  9. G8rChuck85

G8rChuck85 Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +989
    Yep, that's me. I'm pretty solid at 200-205 but want to get back to a lean,mean 185. I may even get down to 175 myself. I think I was 175 at the start of football season my junior year of high school.
  10. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,974
    I have better body composition at 54 than when I was 24. You can do eet!
  11. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,974
    Wore my weight vest for the 3-Point Iso Chinups. Switched from Weight Vest Pushups to Weight Vest Crossover Pushups using 3'' cinder block. Used weight vest for One-Legged Squats. Then did 100 Dumbell Swings and took a walk.
  12. chrisleakfan4life

Ratings Received:
    +14
    I'm only around 5'7-5'8"

I'm slightly shorter than PIMking.

1500 calories is not easy, the key is just finding foods that are low in calorie.

I stay pretty close to 1500 calories a day, once in awhile ill go a little high, yesterday i had around 1800-2000 calories.

My real weight should be around 150-170, my body fat percentage is i believe 30% so i've got plenty of fat on me still.

I was really big before, i was up to 250 last year, and i lost about 6 inches off in pant size, i wore 42 in size pants last January, right now i wear a size 36.

I'm not sure how guys feel about what you eat when it comes to dieting, i tend to eat stuff i enjoy as long as it is not high in sugar or fat.

I try to avoid cheese and dairy but once in awhile i will indulge. I use non-fat milk anytime i have a protein shake, which is only when i lift weights.

I bought some Sugar Free Bryers ice cream and i have it once in awhile as a craving killer.

I eat frozen macaroni and cheese's once in awhile(the cheap $1 ones that are around 300 calories).

I try not to eat anything after dinner, but if i do i try to find something low in calorie, i have had Popcorn recently which i believe is pretty low calories(as long as you're not putting on butter).

It's not easy but i was used to eating 1200 calories and 1500 feels like so much more.

I just try and stay as close to my calorie intake as i can, i don't get frustrated when i weigh in daily because i know it will fluctuate every day.

My diet has been frustrating, the first 5-6 months i lost a lot of weight, than after that it tanked(which its not a surprise really).

Once football season hit i pretty much stopped losing weight and i have been around the same weight since September.

I know what i have done wrong and i have got a new determination to get over the hump and i know i will get there and that it is going to take time and i will just have to live with it.

My biggest issue is late night snacking, some days i do it and others i don't. I'll just need more self discipline and will have to force myself to not eat after dinner and find ways to keep busy. It all comes down to mental discipline and will power.

You guys also seem to work out a lot, i hardly ever work out, only time i do is weight lifting. All that exercise get allows you guys to get more calories in.
  13. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,974
    I actually don't work out a lot. My strength sessions last about 20 minutes and if I do tack on cardio, that's only about 10 minutes. Now, I do do a lot of leisurely walking. I think I've hit the sweet-spot on weight control. A lot of the calories you burn are non-exercise related. But it's well established that if you wear yourself out with your workouts, you tend to burn fewer calories through other activities.

Apart from that it's diet.
  14. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +287
    4 days a week, about 30 minutes or so at a time. I dont think its that much.
  15. ATL_Gator

ATL_Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +323
    Interesting.

That was about the height and weight that I came up with messing around with numbers in some daily caloric needs calculators. (low side estimate of roughly 2000 calories).

My biggest struggle is at home, in the evening. Mostly it is before and during dinner. I want to snack before dinner on junk, and on top of that it doesn't seem to affect how much I can make myself eat during dinner.

After dinner is over, I can do better. During the day at work is pretty good too, mostly due to I bring my lunch, so as long as I have good control for the 10 minutes I am making my lunch in the morning, the day goes pretty good.

Weight wise, I think I am in an odd position. I want to drop a good 10-15 lb of fat, but I also want to stay in the weight range I am currently in (205-210). I think 190 is just too thin for me.
  16. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +287
    ATL, you may be surprised. I know I was, for years I had it in my mind that I did not want to dip below 180 or 185, thinking I would feel smallish. But if you have good size on you now you may lose that 15 pounds and find that you still look pretty good at the lower weight.

I am 175 for first time in forever and I still look pretty big. Having a big chest, neck and shoulders helps. I am even considering dropping a bit more.
  17. chrisleakfan4life

Ratings Received:
    +14
    I drank 3 1/2 beers on Friday plus I ate some food.

Decided to indulge so Im on a 1,000 calorie diet over a 3 day period to make up for it. Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. I'll create a 1500 calorie deficit extra to my regular to make up for it.

May not have been a good idea but I'm making up for it.
  18. G8RBrave

G8RBrave Super Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +51
    Bad bad weekend for me. I went to Epcot so you can imagine how that went. Gained a few pounds, which is what I am trying to do - but they probably weren't "good" pounds. Hitting the gym in about 30 minutes. Going to lift heavy and try to put some of these extra calories to work.
  19. chrisleakfan4life

Ratings Received:
    +14
    Going to the Gym tonight, leaving in a few minutes.

It's time to OWN THE DAY!

My personal slogan(similar to Carpe Diem).
  20. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,974
    Put another five pound plate inside well of spare tire (two now) and may have to add another next time. Also did one-armed dumbbell rows and one-legged squats.