Day One

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by LeafUF, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,320
    I don't think I even care to pursue 5-6% bodyfat. Why would I ? I'm not grooming for a bodybuilding contest and it would probably drive me insane to try to maintain it. In any case, it's easier to hover around 10% where I'm always just a couple of pounds away from six-pack if I want it bad enough.

My screening has been moved to Monday morning.
  2. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +390
    Oh yeah, forgot that was supposed to be today. I guess gives you something to look forward to on a Monday.
  3. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +390
    And yeah get to 5-6% is not even on my mind, just having a number in my mind will help me though. I have no desire to get below 10% at the moment. But it would be nice to get there. I have been hovering between 12-15 most of the past few years.
  4. bossgator1

bossgator1 Guest VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +150
    I started walking three miles a day and now I am 21 miles from home.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. ATL_Gator

ATL_Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,413
    Well, after a little more than a month off, back at it. Slashed my reference weights for my 5/3/1 workout a bit to compensate. Did squats and press today. Ugh. Press went better than expected. Squat was rough.

Is it bad when your legs feel shaky after your last working set, then within 30 minutes of the workout it is relatively painful to push back in your wheeled office chair? I have the feeling that tomorrow and Wednesday (which is deadlifts and bench) are going to completely suck.
  6. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +390
    I personally like the feeling of having trouble sitting down and standing up after an intense leg workout. But, its probably not good, sore is fine, pain is bad.

After a long lay off the first week back is usually horrible, just need to get through it.

By the way I try to put dead lifts and squats far apart from each other. You can also just go for 3 workouts a week to get some more rest between lifts.
  7. deebo65

deebo65 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,265
    I lifted my whole life for football and have always had strong legs. I remember one time in college a buddy of mine and I were working out on a leg day (I played OL he was a DT) and we had cards of the workout listing exercises and reps and weight for each. Well at squats, I don't know what we were thinking, we, along with the ass. st coach working us out, began talkin smack to each other about weights being similar. So each time one of us went, we tried to blow the others last weight out of the water. I remember we both finished our last set at just over 600lb (635 if I remember right 6 45's & a 25 on each side). Tripp (st coach) was really stoked and screamin as he was spotting us. We got all the reps and finished about 100lbs over what our cards said to finish at. Afterwards we were all happy and felt good. Then then next week when leg day came Coach Tuten had changed our whole workout and EVERYTHING went up! ugh....

Anyhoo, after I finished playing ball in college I swore I would never do squats again. EVER... I'll do some leg press here and there and maybe some hip sledd now n then but hell to the naa on squats for this guy...
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,320
    Worked around tweaked hammie today with:

one-armed spare tire overhead press
    inverted rows
    sandbag squats

circuit style. Resisted urge to stretch afterwards since I'm trying out the Microstretching which calls for allowing your body to completely cool down so as to stretch in 'cold state.'
  9. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,320
    BTW, I hold the spare tire like a pizza (you can use a weight plate as well). There is something about having to balance the object that makes it a safer (and more demanding) exercise for the shoulder. Proprioception, probably.
  10. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +390
    Dream you might have to help me put together my "stuck in a hotel room in bfe" routine.

I have done this sort of travel before and the available resources make one get really creative on what they can do.
  11. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,320
    It's the damndest thing. I've got a barbell, dumbbells and 350 lbs. of weight ... and I'm lifting tires and sandbags. :laugh:
  12. G8RBrave

G8RBrave Super Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    Leaf will you have to fly or will you be on the road?
  13. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +390
    Flying. Army bases, depots and ammunition warehouses.
  14. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,320
    Leaf, wherever you are just do a push a pull and something like a squat (could be a lunge) or a deadlift (lift something off the floor). And remember with something unwieldy like a tire or a sandbag, it doesn't have to correspond to a barbell to be challenging.

You could do pushups and inverted rows (lie under a table and grab the lip of the table) and one-legged squat variations.
  15. G8RBrave

G8RBrave Super Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    Bummer. I was going to suggest throwing some weights in the car, but that doesn't work when you're flying.
  16. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +390
    Yeah, I know, there are some places where I will be able to drive but of the 30 sites I would guess 28 are flying.

I also dont own any equipment and dont really have a place to use it at home so I dont want to invest a lot at the moment.

I do have thera bands and may or may not have access to gyms either on post or in the hotel. If I get lucky and the town I am in has a Planet Fitness I will be fine. Though I am guessing most places will not have that option. When I did this before we were not allowed to use the gym on post so I am thinking my gym access will be limited to a crappy hotel gym and whatever body weight exercises I can do.
  17. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,320
    Cutting back on the strength portion to spend more time on foam rolling and mobility so doing bang-for-buck exercises:

3-Point Iso-Chinups: do chinup, lower one-quarter way down and hold 10 secs then halfway down and hold ten seconds then three-quarters down and hold ten seconds. Did three of these.

Counter-Balance One-Leg Squat: hold medicine ball to chest, push med ball out in front as you squat down and touch non-working knee to floor. Did 3 X 8 of these.

Weight Vest Pushups 3 X 10.

Two-mile walk.
  18. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,320
    Almost forgot yesterday's workout:

Overhead Spare Tire Press - dropped a five-pound plate in the well of the rim. May add a ten-pound plate next time. Love the way this movement feels. No discomfort and no other overhead pressing movement works my whole shoulder like this one. I feel it strongly in all three heads of the shoulder muscle.

Inverted Rows - trying to keep shoulders away from the ears on this one.

Two-Up, One-Down Stability Ball Leg Curls - curl ball to butt with both legs, let ball down with one leg. It's sort of an eccentric leg curl.

Oh, and one-legged bench squats.
  19. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +390
    Talked to some of my team members about our travel situation and asked if anyone knew anything about using facilities on post.

The responses:

"I'll burn you some of my P90X dvds"
    "The hotel gym will be fine"
    "All you need is some dumbbells"

I didn't want to offend anyone with my opinions on the subject so I just let it go.
  20. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,320
    I'll bet the French army does 5-3-1.