Day One

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by LeafUF, Dec 3, 2010.

1. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +401
    Nice work Dream. I am continuing my quest toward joining the 1000 club without gaining any body weight. Currently sitting at about 915. I plan to get there in the next 3-4 months and should be able to do that with gains on squat and deadlift mostly, modest gains on bench will just speed things along.
  2. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,486
    Wow! Never mind 1000, which I'm sure you can get, 915 sounds damned impressive to a skinny guy like me. I doubt that I could get to 800 even if I tried. I've made peace with the fact that I just don't have the leverages. I do, however, retain the husk of 5-3-1, that is the four-way/upper-lower split. Good for recovery.
  3. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +401
    1000 is just an arbitrary number that gives me a big goal to shoot for. Im sure I could start bulking up gain 20 pounds and hit that next month but im trying to stay around 180.

I was using 5-3-1 until last week and now im doing something I put together still using percentages and the monthly progression but doing the lifts twice a week now.
  4. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +401
    Long arms make bench and deadlift a much tougher challenge. I do not have that problem. I know some people go sumo on the deadlift and find that you can easily boost your max. I am going to stick with conventional though.
  5. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,486
    I had almost forgotten what it was like to be sore. I did pushups yesterday wearing both weight vests. Did as many reps as I could manage. I'm sore today. In fact, I think DOMS may be setting in.

And my quads are still sore from goblet squats on Monday. Used a 75 lb. dumbbell and squatted rock-bottom, butt-to-calves, as many reps as possible.

As heavy as you can manage for relatively high reps is the ticket for soreness!
  6. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +401
    Yup, high reps to just at or near failure kicks your butt. Having mixed things up a bit lately I go low reps some days and higher reps others each week. The higher rep days definitely give me more muscle soreness. So happy tomorrow is a rest day.
  7. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,486
    I'm doing my goblet squats as heavy as I can clean and hold, for reps, AND rock-bottom, not relaxed, but calves firmly pressed against hamstrings. Goal is ten reps with 83 lb. dumbbell while wearing both weight vests (total 48 lbs.). I'm at 73 lbs. now while wearing 21 lb. weight vest.

I figure double that and that equals the equivalent barbell squat, close to 190.
  8. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +401
    Bringing this one back to brag about finally hitting 1.5xBW on the squat. Got 275 easy today. Then pulled 365 on a deadlift. Which is like 1 pound from 2xBW. Feels good.
  9. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,486
    Sweet! The 2XBW deadlift must be immensely satisfying. I'm close to 1.9 myself.
  10. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +401
    Oh yeah, I have been rather close for a while but I am not trying to rush my progress so I only try to go for a PR every 3-4 weeks. And when I do if I hit what I planned for I dont try to go heavier. So I probably have some more in me on both but I will be patient.
  11. ATL_Gator

ATL_Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,413
    Congrats!

I haven't squatted in a while. Have done deadlifts, but not a lot. Probably good for somewhere between 315 and 350 right now.
  12. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,486
    Well, with your lower bodyweight that still puts you within striking distance of 2 X bodyweight, no ?
  13. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +401
    Been running a program where I go heavy two days a week. Upper body Saturdays and lower body Sundays. I think its catching up with me as I'm not hitting my reps. Could also be my new schedule as I am training others 10-15 hours a week in addition to my own lifting.

So I think I'm gonna go back to a 531 type of program. Hoping that gets me back on track.
  14. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,486
    One of the strengths of 5-3-1 is that it doesn't have you lifting heavy frequently. It's really a 'no pressure' sort of template. You don't even have to do the extra reps if you're not feeling up to it.
  15. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +401
    Yea I never do the extra reps anymore.
  16. ATL_Gator

Ratings Received:
    +1,413
    Yeah, I just need to quit being a lazy ass and do some heavier deadlifts every now and again to get it.

Lately, I get maybe a couple of weeks into a program and just lose interest.
  17. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,486
    More and more I'm inclined to say lift if you want to, don't lift if you don't want to. My own son honed a nice body through three years of fairly stringent lifting. Now he literally lifts when he wants to. He may go 2-3 weeks without lifting, then go at it for a couple or three weeks.

You've done intermittent fasting. Do intermittent lifting! Put another way: more and more they're telling us "Eat when you're hungry and stop when you're satisfied." This is what my son appears to do with his lifting.
  18. ATL_Gator

Ratings Received:
    +1,413
    Ahhh... the title of my newest program! I love it.
  19. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,486
    Just remember who invented it. :wink:

Seriously, start from the assumption that 'exercise' is a social construct (where, outside of America, do people do much of it ?), and whatever little bit you do is something you're 'allowed to do.'

Otherwise, just experience the joy of movement.
  20. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,486
    I keep coming back to the tried-and-true four-way upper-lower split, which is the basis for 5-3-1. It's: (1) vertical push/pull (2) horizontal push-pull (3) squat variation (4) deadlift variation.

Three days a week I cycle through:

(1) psuedo planche pushups + pullups

(2) goblet squats + SLDL's

(3) pike pushups + tuck lever rows

(4) sumo deadlift + pistol squats

I just happen to like those pairings. Covers the bases.

I tend to come back to the planche and front lever progressions as a diagnostic. Too much of it makes me mentally ill.