Day One

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by LeafUF, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,656
    I'd venture that fear of strength loss is exaggerated, especially when some studies are seen as suggesting that it may take as long as seven days or more simply to recover from a strenuous strength workout. Certainly one can at least maintain strength on one workout a week. Obviously the competitor has to balance the demands of his sport and 'ravages' of conditioning. Since they both break you down it stands to reason that you find your 'sweet spot' on the conditioning side.
  2. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,656
    Threw in some negative Dragon Flags yesterday. Not quite ready for the real deal but closer than I had anticipated. Pulling tuck levers from the bottom may have helped in that regard.
  3. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +363
  4. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,656
    Sure, I don't know that there is a Bible on l-sit progressions.

You know, I raced ahead with the planche progressions before reading that l-Sits are considered a prerequisite for the planches. So, I went back and put them in. I can already do them between chairs. So, I'm doing them on the floor now and starting in a tuck position working to straight legs.

The trick on static holds is keeping elbows locked. When you come from a weightlifitng background this goes against every fiber of your being.

I've seen now a number of sources citing handstands and l-sits as foundational to gymnastics.
  5. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,656
    In the interest of sparing my wrists in particular, I've further reduced my template to:

(A) L-sits and back lever progressions

(B) planche and front lever progressions

Workouts are preceded by handstand work and followed maybe with a few pistols. Not focusing on the lower body as I also get in some sprinting, jumping and stair climbing.

Spoke with a couple of gymnastics coaches who assured me that my bent-arm strength would not suffer in the interim.
  6. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,656
    Stuck a free handstand and held for five seconds or so. My short-term goal is to stick, say, four out of five times and hold ten seconds. Then maybe I can think about lowering into an elbow lever or a press-to-handstand.

Getting advanced tuck planches now. That's hips level with shoulders and holding. Getting close to advanced tuck levers pulling up into position.

Got a 255 deadlift today. That's ten pounds off my PR.
  7. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +363
    Completely took a week off because of moving apartments and going away for the holiday weekend. Looking forward to shaking the rust off and getting back in the gym today.
  8. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,656
    I'm taking a week off too. Even simplifying my routine as I have, my wrists and elbows are still sending me angry text messages.
  9. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +363
    Yeah, my body was telling me to back off as well, not so much any nagging pains but more so just not feeling enough energy in the gym. Plus with all the box carrying and what not my forearms, legs and back probably would have started hating me if I was hitting the gym also.
  10. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,656
    Energy issues here too. I've probably been working the static holds too hard. I surmise that holding a position ... until I can't, is probably akin to training to failure.
  11. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +363
    That sounds about right to me.

I just got back from my session and felt pretty good. Lowered the weights a bit and did not feel as tired as I was feeling before I took the week off. Hope this is a start of a good run as I wont be traveling or having too many distractions again for a while.
  12. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,276
    Got back in on Monday with a high rep workout. Went back on Wednesday and worked up to 3 x 265 on the bench. Used to be my one rep max. Needn't have worried about losing strength. It's good to know I can take a break now and then, maybe do eight or ten hours of Aikido one week instead.
  13. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,656
    Indeed, strength often INCREASES after brief layoffs due to supercompensation. In short, your body is given ample time to recover and grow stronger.
  14. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,656
    Sounds like a recurring theme but I came back, after a week off, and had a pretty decent workout. Solid free handstands. Easiest deck squats yet. Full German Hangs for the first time. Thirty second hold for L-Sit (legs still slightly bent). Got in some sprints afterwards.
  15. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +363
    Holy DOMS in my hamstrings. I did Deadlifts and Good Mornings on Thursday, hammies are killing me today. Better clear up before tomorrow or squatting is gonna be sketchy.
  16. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,656
    Trade you my tendonitis for your DOMS.
  17. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +363
    Ha I don't think that's a fair trade. Besides vodka is doing wonders for me right now. Gonna be awesome when I throw up at the gym tomorrow.
  18. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +363
    Considering going all curl bro and adding an Arm day to my routine.
  19. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,656
    I may be crazy for chasing the planche but I'm determined to get it. Nine out of ten youtube tutorials are prefaced with, "I can't actually do a full planche but ...". There are even gymnastics instructors, young guys on the web, who can't do them. And quite often what passes as a planche is either a straddle planche or an elbow tuck lever.
  20. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +363
    I don't think you are crazy. I just wonder if you can not achieve it at what point do you readjust your goals to a more attainable movement?

Seems like there are not that many people who can actually do it, so if you can do it I guess you have to put it on youtube.