Day One

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by LeafUF, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,496
    Day One of minimalist training:

Practiced Turkish Get Up (TGU) for five minutes with 35 lb. dumbbell. Still a little herky-jerky and will stick with this weight until I smooth things out.

Then performed fifty continuous swings with same dumbbell. Will increase weight Friday.

Finished with leisurely two-mile walk and short stretch.

Note: starting at 6-0 158 and will make no conscious changes to diet.
  2. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +401
    Good stuff Dream. After a few weeks on the minimalist training do you plan to move to something else? Add an exercise or two or just increase intensity? Just wondering if you have a longer term plan. I myself and wondering about that now since I am in the 4th week of my workout plan and the 3rd of my diet plan. So I am starting to think "what next?"
  3. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +401
    Yesterday I was really low on carbs all day long then made up for it when I got home. Finished the day at just about 2150 calories.

Since work is so slow this week and I honestly doubt anyone will be in the office I am gonna go to the gym this morning again and just get to the office a bit late. Should be another good day diet wise. I usually tighten up the closer I get to Friday when I weigh in.
  4. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,496
    Yes, ultimately I think I might like to get into a mixture of kettlebell and bodyweight exercises. Interestingly, I acquired about 300 lbs. of barbell weights from a neighbor about a year ago. When I asked him why he was giving away all his weights, he told me he'd fallen in love with kettlebell training and he was convinced it was all he'd need for the rest of his life. And he was a fairly big guy too.
  5. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +401
    So he gave you all his free weights and now you are moving on to kettlebells right behind him. Some lucky neighbor might be inheriting some free weights soon.

I have never used a kettlebell but only hear good things, if my gym had some im sure i would give it a try.
  6. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,496
    Hehe, pay it foward, right ? You know, I certainly did increase my strength with the weights and 5-3-1, but after much stubbornness, I finally came to the conclusion that, given my leverages (and my soft-tissue injuries), and my age, I probably shouldn't be forcing my body to conform to a barbell.
  7. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +401
    Three weeks in, third weigh in and I dropped another two pounds. Puts me at 176 and in great position to get to 175 by next week when I will take measurements.
  8. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,496
    Confession time: I was so excited about the acquisition of a weight vest that I had to press it into action. Today's workout:

Turkish Get-Up - for five minutes, served as warmup.

(1a) Weight Vest Split Squats
    (1b) Weight Vest Chinups

(2a) Weight Vest Dumbbell Romanian Deadlifts
    (2b) Weight Vest Pushups with hands on 4'' cinder blocks

Finisher: 50 Dumbbell Swings. Total workout time under 30 minutes.

Merry Christmas gymrats!
  9. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +401
  10. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,496
    Hehe, that's awesome. My wife watched me today and she was awed that a skinny old guy could do it with a 40 lb. dumbbell.

BTW, guess which muscle group is sore after the weighted pushups ? Hint: begins with 'A'.
  11. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +401
    Almost forgot to post today. After my weigh in I decided i would take a break yesterday from all the counting. Had a big breakfast and lunch and chinese for dinner. I did work out in the morning so it wasn't a total off day.

Today I have already eaten around 2100 calories for the day and though its early I dont really plan to have any more until breakfast tomorrow. If I sleep late that might accidentally be an IF.

And since some other threads have been discussing macros I will give my breakdown.

200 g carbs, 200 g protein, 62 g fat

My macros bounce all over the place but I would say this is a fairly ordinary day for me.

No gym today, I worked out the last 3 days so I was taking today off no matter the fact that everything is closed. I did get bored and pull out my jump rope to do that for a little bit. I suck at it and hope that repetition will make me better.
  12. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +401
    Beat the snow to the gym and the grocery store this morning so I should be set for the week. Now I just need to go to my office to get my laptop in case the snow shuts down the metro tomorrow.

Did my deload bench day and used the elliptical for 20 minutes to get a little added sweat going.

Having steak for dinner.
  13. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +401
    Finished the day yesterday around 2350 calories. Ton of protein from the steak.

Today should be a bit lower cal. Last day of deload week with Deadlift today then off tomorrow and starting another round of 5-3-1 on wed or thurs.
  14. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +401
    Yesterday I took it easier in the gym and ate just around 2150 calories.

Today is a rest day and my last day at work for the year. Might end up out to dinner with friends tonight which could be a challenge but I am not too worried about it. Will just have to see where we end up and not drink too much.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +401
    Only 3 days left to reach my goal of posting and staying on task for 28 days. And I am taking a little unscheduled break today. Grabbing lunch with some friends from work and I dont even want to think about how bad its gonna be. We are going to get Bonchon chicken for anyone who has heard of it.

Anyway, yesterday was a solid day. 2200 calories throughout the day. 212 protein, 160 carb, 85 fat.

No workout as it was my day off but I am getting back in the gym in about an hour. I just set up my 5-3-1 for another 4 weeks. After January though my work and travel schedule might force me to be a little more creative about my workout routine but I can save taht for my next thread.
  16. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,496
    chinups
    pushups
    bench step-ups

5 circuits, all done with weight vest. Finished with ten minutes of dumbbell swings, walked, stretched then ate some carbs. :happy:

Will be doing my Functional Movement Screen with Troy Ismir, here in Orlando. He's worked with NFL, NBA players and professional golfers.
  17. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +401
    Day 27. One more to go. Yesterday was a bit of an off day from tracking my diet. I ate lunch out with friends so I dont know how much I ate. Most likely ended up over my usual intake but I dont think it was a terrible day. I guess I will find out tomorrow how I have done in the last week.

Started a new 5-3-1 yesterday and I am nice and sore. Doing squats today, been reading up on squat form and watching videos to really make sure I am doing it right and getting everything out of my lifts. Not that I have been injuring myself or anything, I just want to max out my benefits from each lift.
  18. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +401
    So here I am almost 28 days to the minute. Here were my stats when I first started this experiment on December 3rd.

Today's stats: (Dec 31)
    Stats:
    Height - 5'10"
    Weight - 176
    Waist - 33.5

9 pounds in 4 weeks and an inch off my waist. I also checked my other measurements and saw that for the most part they remained the same. I lost half inch off chest and hips while my arms and legs remained the same.

I started out really gung ho and probably made my biggest losses in the first week and then slowly tapered off and get less strict about my daily intake each week.

All in all, I am happy with my results and how I did it. I managed to not really give up foods that I love and found ways to eat more tuna than I normally would have. My workouts never really suffered and I am stronger today than I was 4 weeks ago. I am also visibly more vascular, which was one of the first things I started noticing.

So, whats next? I am definitely going to take a mental break for a week or two from counting every calorie I ingest. Though I dont think I will eat much different. And I am definitely going to stick to my workout routine. Who knows, I may even do more cardio, but probably not.

I appreciate all the posts and discussion that popped up in this thread as well as all the others that helped keep me on track. I have a feeling there may be another thread like this in my future.
  19. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,496
    Fantastic job, Leaf! Are any of your friends astonished that you lost so much weight over the holidays ?
  20. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +401
    Hmm, I actually don't think anyone would even notice. Certainly no one has mentioned anything. But, I havent seen a lot of my friends this month given all of the travel we have all been doing for the holidays.

The way I am built and given that its winter makes it even harder to tell. I bet most people would take a look at me and think I weigh more than I do because I have broad shoulders and a big chest. Where I can really tell is in the mirror where I can see vains popping out of my shoulders and biceps a little bit now. And in my obliques which are a lot more defined. Still, no six pack though, I think to get there I would need to lose another 10 pounds or so.

Was reading lean gains discussing maximum genetic potential and I am actually very close to what Martin's formula lays out. Basically saying that at a super lean 5-6% bf I should be around 172 lbs. And I am right now at 176 probably 12%, I would be really happy at 175 and 10% bf or even 180 10% but that would take some serious muscle building.