Day One

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by LeafUF, Dec 3, 2010.

1. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,504
    That's on the bucket list. The two I'm working towards are said to be more difficult. And the planche is said to be MUCH more difficult. In fact, just this week I found two planche tutorials, on youtube, in which the instructor led with, "I can't do a full planche myself."
  2. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,504
    Highrise run-walk this morning, free handstands, planche and front lever progressions and pistol squats in the afternoon.

Static holds require patience. Progress is harder to discern over time. It's not like you can add five pounds to the bar every week. It's more like feeling like you're improving workout, going sideways another, backwards another.
  3. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,504
    Beginning to throw in a little 'garbage work' on in-between days. Today I went out in the backyard and practiced handstands, discovered that an upward-sloping tree branch afforded the opportunity to replicate hands-only rope climbing, and followed with some skipping and side-shuffles.

None of this is 'conditioning.' Rather, just an opportunity to 'play' and to move gracefully.

Finished off by practicing that old karate move, the one where you're sitting on your knees and you hop up. Nobody seems to know what it's called.

Next: kip-ups.
  4. oI2ange

oI2ange Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +246
    I've decided that I'm going to lift 1x a week. Going to mix and match and see what I like...probably going to stick with some of the lifts that engage some muscles I don't normally use as much- chin ups, bench press, incline bench, squats.

We'll see how it goes. My second week lifting provided some nice results and I'm pretty happy with where I'm at despite not lifting on a regular basis in probably 5+ years.
  5. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,504
    IMO, 1x week is plenty, provided that, as you say, you stick with the bang-for-the-buck movements. Keep us posted!
  6. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,504
    Due to rain it was cartwheels indoors as opposed to handstands outdoors. Planche progressions were just okay. For some reason, front lever progressions completely sucked.

Then got my best one-armed pushups and pistol squats ever. Go figure.

Oh, and I've incorporated this wicked-looking movement into my warmup:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NIeL0AYygY
  7. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,504
    Oh well, they're back-of-hands pushups, AKA wrist pushups.
  8. oI2ange

oI2ange Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +246
    Yep...I'm basically working a 3 sets of 5 or so for most of my lifts. Mainly going heavier overall.

Was happy to see that bench is still one of my stronger lifts. Will keep you guys updated!
  9. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,504
    Highrise run/walk this morning. This afternoon: free handstands, L-sits, planche and lever progressions and pistol squats. Also threw in some wrist pushups. Something snapped and I attempted a one-armed wrist pushup. Need a little work on that.
  10. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +401
    Switching things up for the rest of the month. Normally I plan everything out for the entire month and stick to the plan. However, after two weeks of grinding out sets and missing reps I decided to change things up for the next ten days. Doing an upper/lower split every other day. Upper yesterday felt pretty good. Very sore today.
  11. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,638
    Didn't know that was a karate move. There's a Japanese guy at our dojo who often jumps up from seiza. I thought he made it up.
  12. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,504
    I actually stopped by the local dojo and asked what they call it. They said they didn't even know if it has a name. They just teach their students how to do it.

Anyway, I think being able to do little things like that, at my age, is pretty cool. Next up: kip-ups.
  13. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,504
    Getting a flat back with tuck planches now. Raising up into tuck levers (as opposed to lowering down) is much more difficult but I'm getting the hang of it.
  14. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,504
    I'm settling into something like the following A-B format Mon, Wed and Friday. Routine features static and dynamic pairings, just a little bit of legwork and free handstand practice prior to each workout:

A: L-Sits + German Hangs and Hollow Body Pushups + 360 Pulls and pistol squats.

B: Planche + Front Lever Progressions and Pike Pushups + Pullups and King Deadlifts.

Light lower body work, in keeping with gymnastics and also because I get some stair-running, a little sprinting, a little jumping.
  15. oI2ange

oI2ange Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +246
    2 week update : i've been lifting 1x a week and have found gains after each time. bench press- i'm doing a 3 sets of 5 and have been doing 205/215/225 (can't finish the last set though). i'm hoping to get up to a 1 rep max of 260ish by next march, so hopefully that's attainable. i was starting at 185 on my first set 2 weeks ago so it took 2 weeks for my muscle memory to get it back. also, i've had improvements on my chin ups as well (i do 3 sets of 10 with full hang). don't really work pull ups all that often but i work my lats/etc in climbing anyways, so not too worried.
  16. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +401
    What do you think your 1RM is for bench right now? Assuming its 225 right now thats only 35 pounds in 6 months. Should be doable.
  17. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +2,504
    It ought to work. In my opinion frequency is a little overrated. I sometimes wonder if the trainers and coaches who are urging us to work our movements/bodyparts 2, 3 X week aren't just projecting their compulsions on the rest of us.
  18. oI2ange

oI2ange Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +246
    right now, i'd say my 1rm would be around 240ish. i think that 20 pounds in 6 months is definitely doable. we'll see if i actually stick to my lifting though...
  19. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +401
    Assuming no set backs I would say you wont even need 6 months.
  20. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,638
    This is interesting. I "accidentally" stopped lifting almost two weeks ago. Just been busy as hell getting both my kids off to college for the first time. I've still gotten in three to four cardio days a week, plus the dojo and I feel really good. I like getting up every day and not feeling sore. How long would I have to go before I started losing strength?