Day One

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by LeafUF, Dec 3, 2010.

1. BossaGator

BossaGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +553
    Today was a heavy day. 5x3 back squats, 5x3 power cleans. Gave the upper body push movements a rest.

Yesterday rowed a 5k and did a bunch of pushups and burpees.

Tuesday rowed 1000m hard on max drag then did a workout for time of 6 rounds of 20 lunge steps, 20 clapping pushups (had to switch to normal pushups in late rounds) and 20 situps.
  2. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,028
    Negative one-armed pushups, neutral-grip pullups (holding serve here with my medial epicondylitis, think pullups are the culprit) and dumbbell swings on-the-minute: swing 30 seconds, rest 30 seconds, ten minutes total.
  3. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,028
    I'm taking the week off. Even cut back on my walking and stretching.
  4. BossaGator

BossaGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +553
    Good idea to take a week off every now and then. I usually find that I come back from a reasonable break (a week or so) stronger having given my body an extended chance to heal up and adapt. Not so if I take a month or two off, which I had to do in 2011.
  5. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +361
    I took a week off recently also and felt great for it. Always good when you can choose to rest as opposed to letting circumstances dictate that you have to.
  6. BossaGator

BossaGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +553
    Yesterday I rowed 4000m hard in the morning, then did some heavy work in the evening. 5x3 deadlifts, 5x3 overhead presses, and then burned myself out on chinups afterwards. Today will hopefully be a metcon or a long run. Maybe some kettlebells; I haven't used them in a little while.

I was actually surprised - I usually try not to hit the erg for anything more than a warmup on days I'm going to lift heavy, b/c I've found that it, more than running or just about any other cardio-type activity (except maybe a large volume of burpees or something like that) the erg really wears me out. Several hours may pass between the rowing workout and the heavy workout, but generally unless I've had a full night's sleep to separate them I won't be able to perform optimally in the lifting because the rowing takes it out of me. This is especially true with deadlifts for fairly obvious reasons (both focus heavily on the posterior chain). Yesterday was unusual - I was able to flirt with my max deadlift and do some sets of 3 over 500# despite having rowed hard in the morning. Nothing unusual about my diet or sleep habits lately, so I guess the stars must have just been aligned properly or something.
  7. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +361
    So I just did the opposite of most this time of year. I canceled a gym membership.

Only one of them though.
  8. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,028
    You'd better hold onto the other one. You don't want to end up looking like Holly Rowe.

*runs away*
  9. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +361
    Ha. I think we are safe here. Unless apologists or your diabetic clients doctor starts posting.
  10. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,028
    After a short break it's back to the negative one-armed pushups. Threw in some inverted rows to balance things out. Temporarily regressing to 12'' box pistol squats to spare the knees and to make sure the glutes are doing their fair share. 12'' has me going markedly below parallel. I start these with the positive. Do a slow negative to kiss the box. Rock back slightly, so as to unload the hamstrings, then squeeze the glute and pop up. Similar in principle to barbell box squats. It's also a good way to govern the shin angle.
  11. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +361
    Back in late 2010 early 2011 I was still living in DC and walking a ton more than I do now. Up to 10 miles a week, now after living in Vegas/S. Florida I would be shocked if I did that in a month. So, I am gonna start trying to get in more moving whether by doing it a little bit at the gym or getting a bike or something. I have a hard time just taking a walk, when I walked in DC it served a purpose because I was going to work or other places in my neighborhood.
  12. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,028
    Tried a pedometer ? One study shows that people who wear them automatically get 2,500 more steps a day than those who don't wear them. What I'm saying is that a goodly percentage of walking is incidental rather than planned and it all adds up!
  13. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +361
    I havent but maybe I should just to get a baseline. its just one of those things I was thinking about recently. I work from home and live in a suburb where I have to drive to get everywhere. Just feel like I should be doing more. Maybe I move more than I realize but its about 4 steps from my bed to my "office".
  14. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,028
    That's more or less the way I use a pedometer, to establish a baseline. It's the activity-related version of a food journal. But longer-term it does appear to function to motivate people to sort of 'goose out' extra steps. And people who get 10,000 steps a day do tend to rave about the results.
  15. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,028
    Making do, for now, with a highly-simplified A-B format:

A: one-armed pushups progressions (plus inverted rows) and pistol squats. Taking a break from pullups as I've tentatively fingered them as the primary culprit on my medial epicondylitis (hotspot on inner elbow, above and below elbow).

B: high-volume deadlifts. Using a rudimentary cycle here. Starting out with 5 X 5 X 165. Adding one set of five every workout until reach 10 X 5 then add ten pounds and drop back to 5 X 5. Probably not optimal, but interesting nonetheless.
  16. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +361
    Got my pedometer in the mail yesterday. My sister then stole it and took it to work with her to see how much she moves during her shift.

Funny thing was yesterday I noticed a commercial recommending getting in 10,000 steps a day.

Anyone else see that?
  17. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,028
    I haven't seen the commercial. But yes, 10,000 steps is the standard 'benchmark.'

I'll be interested to see how many steps your sister gets.
  18. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +361
    Cant remember who it was for but it had people walking around dress up like golfers in every day situations because I guess 10,000 steps is like walking 18 holes.

Last night was not a good judge for her normal shifts, I imagine what she is doing most nights now is half of what she gets over the summer.
  19. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,028
    Can get seven controlled negative one-armed pushups before collapsing time. Hopefully I'm getting close. On the last rep, on my right side, I actually stopped and held, at the bottom, and was actually able to reverse a bit. These are pretty much chest-to-floor.
  20. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,028
    GUARDED OPTIMISM: felt like I had a pretty decent workout today:

Negative one-armed pushups: do two sets of these for either arm. On the last rep of the second set, right arm ... I came back up again! Yes, it was twisty and ugly. But it was controlled tempo, chest-to-hand, back up again. Obviously I need to clean it up. Will probably stick with negatives another couple of weeks and then test again.

Advanced tuck-levers: thighs perpendicular to torso, hips even with shoulders. Held for about ten seconds.

Pistol squats: a-l-m-o-s-t got one. hamstring to calf, paused momentarily ... lost my balance on the way back up. Unweighted pistols are MUCH more difficult for me because I still can't fully extend the free leg to act as a counterbalance. Getting close on these.