Day One

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by LeafUF, Dec 3, 2010.

1. BossaGator

BossaGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +562
    Been sick as a dog all week after playing football in the cold and rain last Saturday afternoon. Haven't been in the gym at all, and no energy. I'm finally back at work today so hopefully I'll be able to do a metcon or some rowing tonight and heavy lifting tomorrow. I have a really hard time with forced inactivity, even when I feel like crap.
  2. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,109
    Glad you're on the mend, Bossa. Just my two cents, I fare better with inactivity when I'm on a three-day-a-week template than when I'm training more frequently. I suppose it's because I psychologically adjust to having more non-workout days than workout days, so that when I have to miss a workout I don't go bouncing off the walls. But maybe you're referring to inactivity as in having to do nothing as opposed to not working out.
  3. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,109
    Weighted pullups and BODYSAW PUSHUPS. I posted a youtube of these on the 'Planks' thread. These are a monster exercise that might become my go-to one-armed pushup movement.

I was pleasantly surprised to discover that I can fully extend the sliding arm, with chest close to touching floor. However, despite keeping abs, glutes and quads tight, my lower back wanted to sag in the worst way. I almost had to consciously jacknife to prevent from sagging on the way up. Just one hard set each side followed by a set of standard pushups, elbows-tucked, to failure.

Jump squats and mountain climbers 15, 14, 13 ... 1. Previous beat time 5:25. Today: 5:15.
  4. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,109
    Handstand pushups, tuck levers and 15, 14, 13 ... 1. Previous best: 5:15. Today: 4:58. Goal achieved!

Uh-oh, made the mistake of not warming up for HSPU's and my bad shoulder is feeling it now. Usually, I'll do a set to three books, then two books, then one book, then down to the floor. Stupidly, I started with full-range.
  5. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +362
    Hiked up flattop today. It kicked my butt and was a good reminder of why some cardio would be a good idea.
  6. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,109
    Bodysaw pushups, weight pullups and a new cardio-finisher I lifted from Men's Health. 25 reps each of goblet squats, dumbbell swings, burpees and jumping jacks, 100 reps total, with 'tailpipe-breathing.'

Tailpipe-breathing: instead of gasping oxygen through mouth between exercises, breath in and out through nose eight times, then proceed to next exercise. Idea is to control heart rate and therefore manage fatigue a bit.
  7. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +362
    My week of travel damage finally complete I am looking forward to getting back on track and a consistent schedule for the next 3-4 weeks at least.
  8. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +362
    Thanks to travel messing up my schedule I did chest today at the gym. Even at 11 am this still sucked. Remind me to never ever do chest on a Monday again.
  9. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,109
    Wait, isn't Monday supposed to be Bench Press Day ?
  10. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,109
    Handstand pushups and tuck levers yesterday. And since I can now do handstand pushups for reps, and am getting closer and closer to a one-armed pushup, what with the bodysaw pushups I'm doing, I decided to get a head start on a planche. So I practiced some L-Sits and Frog Poses after my workout yesterday.
  11. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +362
    Deadlifts today. Felt good and still making solid progress. 235 x 6. Not sure what my Max is but I estimate it is about 1.5 times bodyweight maybe a little more.
  12. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,109
    Pistol squats and barbell deadlift. Worked up to 240 today. Almost 100 lbs. above bodyweight. Trying to get the bar to the floor as quickly as possible, per my own advice.
  13. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,109
    Adjustment on the fly today. Pressed for time so I set the timer for 15:00 and did bodysaw pushups, pullups and airborne lunges, circuit-style, little or no rest between exercises.

Still prefer straight sets with ample rests ... followed by cardio finisher. But it'll do in a pinch.
  14. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,109
    Handstand pushups, tuck levers and paired burpees and groiners 10, 9, 8 ... 1 for time. A 'groiner' is like a mountain climber but you're actually bringing your knee to the outside of the shoulder. This paring is actually more strenuous than the jump squats and mountain climbers were. Too just over 4:00.
  15. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,109
    At a crossroads here. I've been doing the present template for three months now. Having mastered handstand pushups - and having made good progress on one-armed pushups - I may transition to a greater challenge that, when mastered, should transfer to the aforementioned movements I've been doing. I may construct an upper-body program based on planche progressions and front lever progressions. In other words, something more purely gymnastic in nature, static-holds. I'll keep you posted.
  16. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +362
    It is always good to switch things up and move on to new challenges. It keeps things fresh and interesting and allows you to reach new benchmarks.
  17. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,109
    Pistol squats and moderately heavy deadlifts today. Have discovered that if I do my pistols standing on a box, so as to let the free leg dangle a bit, I can go rock-bottom. So, my strategy from here on out is to gradually lower the height of the box and force the free leg to extend over time.

BTW, have progressed from tuck levers to advanced tuck levers, and have even incorporated some tuck lever rows. However, planche progressions are HUMBLING. The frog stand is challenging enough for now.
  18. BossaGator

BossaGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +562
    Yesterday I rowed a few thousand meters and did a metcon of 15 minutes AMRAP/continual motion using handstand pushups, pistol squats, and pullups. I've taken some time off from those types of movements and noticed my strength for those bodyweight movements has increased significantly in the time off. Guess I needed some extended recovery time.

Tonight will likely be a heavy night, with front squats, full olympic snatches, and some type of press movement (overhead or bench, not sure yet). All 5x5s and 5x3s, although I haven't tested my one rep on the snatch in a while so I may do that.
  19. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,109
    Pistol squats and sumo-style barbell deadlifts today. Getting rock-bottom on pistols ... standing on a platform. This allows me to concentrate on depth without having to worry about extending the free leg, given my chronically-stiff hamstrings. The platform allows me to dangle the free leg a bit.

However, I do intend to lower the platform next week. And hopefully, in not too many weeks, I'll be doing a legit pistol from the floor. No, it'll never be postcard-pretty, what with my hamstrings. But I'll be happy.

Before doing pistols and deadlifts (and perhaps I should do it more often) is a bit of a quirky ritual that is perhaps as beneficial for the psyche as for the joints. After a brief mobility circuit which includes glute activation exercises, I do full bodyweight squats, really settling in at the bottom. Then I duck walk in all directions. Finally, I get down on the floor cross-legged, without the use of my hands, then get up from the floor without the use of my hands.

In addition to really prying open the hips and waking up the glutes, it acclimates me to the 'down position', which I find us useful for pistols in particular. In any case, it seems to help with my anterior knee pain.
  20. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,109
    Frog stands and tuck levers. Also one-armed pushup progressions and pullups. Finished with 100 dumbbell swings after which I used the same dumbbell for one-armed farmer's walks. Basically I did three circuits through the house, then two, then one. Think I'll work up to 5-4-3-2-1.

Also, I've started warming up my wrists with a bucket of rice.