1. Gator Country Black Friday special!

Stay on top of the football coach search with the Insider Authority on Gator Sports with a special discount!

Now's a great time to join or renew and get up to $20 off your annual subscription! LIMITED QUANTITIES -- for details click here.

Day One

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by LeafUF, Dec 3, 2010.

1. G8rChuck85

G8rChuck85 Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,803
    Same here. Holiday season at the office, food everywhere.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. ryanhoward812

ryanhoward812 New Member

Ratings Received:
    +1
    I just got back in the gym. Im 5'10 178. Not trying to lose a ton of weight but i did buy some ephedra pills from a natural pharmacy in jax and that does control my appetite alot. Right now im just trying to lean down so im running 5 times a week with a long run on saturday. I run 4 miles monday-thursday and then 5 on friday and 6 on saturday. I am 3 weeks into it and the hardest part is definitely behind me...starting to get in some really good runs.
  3. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +364
    Man, I think you run more in a week than I drive. I am walking between 6 and 10 miles a week and will occasionally throw in some elliptical but other than that I am just focused on diet and weights.

I dont know how runners do it.

As for ephedra yeah, its really the best appetite suppressant but I thought you couldnt get it anymore. The ECA stack has not been touched in my opinion with all the thermogenics on the market.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,760
    Mark Sisson, author of the bestselling book Primal Fitness, argues that lots of cardio, and particularly exercising most days of the week leads to an insatiable appetite for carbs. He recommends just three brief strength workouts per week and plenty of leisurely exercise like walking.

In other words, to regulate appetite, you may need to think about cutting back on vigorous exercise. He maintains that our distant ancestors didn't kill themselves every day, but rather paced their activities. They did lots of walking with occasional bouts of furious activity, such as would occur during a hunt.
  5. chrisleakfan4life

chrisleakfan4life Gator Highlights

Ratings Received:
    +17
    Right now im doing weights sun tues and thurs and biking mon wed fri with saturday being my day off
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,760
    Do you bike hard ? Of course not everyone agrees, but three hard days and the rest easy might be better for dieting. I do my weight workouts at a brisk pace and there is absolutely no need for cardio. I'm breathing like a racehorse throughout. The rest of my activity is walking at a pace you'd muster if you were out walking your dog - easy.

There has even been a study which suggests that easy walking is the best for reducing arterial inflammation.
  7. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,760
    My son is 18, about 6-0 170 and deadlifted 415 today. The way he's going I can see him getting 500. He got some genes I never had. My wife is skinny too. Maybe it WAS the milkman.
  8. chrisleakfan4life

Ratings Received:
    +17
    Not really that hard honestly.
  9. chrisleakfan4life

Ratings Received:
    +17
    How many carbs do you guys think i should take in per day?
  10. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +364
    Yesterday was a miserable day. Took two hours to get to work, snowed while I was there. My project is keeping me hostage from a better opportunity.

Fought it off and went to the gym anyway. Squat day and got in a great workout. The gym was dead, I guess everyone was scared off by the snow. At least the grocery stores weren't raided like they normally are around here.

Finished the day at just under 2100 calories.

Woke up this morning and weighed in for the second time. I cant believe I started this thread 2 weeks ago already, time is just flying by.

Todays weight 178. Things are still going in the right direction. Today is a day off for me from the gym and I will still try to stick under my 2200 limit. I think my cheat meal will be something tomorrow but I just cant decided what if anything it will be.
  11. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,760
    As I understand it, carbs are only fuel and contribute very little if any to body structure. Therefore: only as much fuel as you need and no more.
  12. G8RBrave

G8RBrave Super Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +20
    Leaf, it's the end of the year too. Wait until after the 1st, the gym will be packed with New Years Resolutioners. Of course, two weeks later it will go back to normal.

Happens every year.
  13. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +364
    Oh yeah, I actually talked with someone at a gym in Miami when my sister was signing up and they were offering deep discounts and basically saying join now because we are about jack up our prices for all the resolutioners.

I cant wait to see who appears at my gym.
  14. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +364
    No workout last night which was nice since I am still pretty sore. Gonna get back at it today, shoulder press. A long time ago this was my favorite day in the gym before I tore my labrum. Now even a few years removed surgery its a cautious day for me. I have to do a lot of stretching, and be very deliberate on my form, as well choosing the right exercises.

My diet yesterday ended up at just under 2100. I was really low all day actually after not bringing enough food with me to work so when I got home and ate my usual dinner I was still way into my deficit and decide to watch a movie and eat some popcorn. Macros still worked out ok.

So on to today. Last Saturday I went out for one meal that I called my "cheat". I guess I need to define what a cheat is for me since I am not necessarily cutting out any foods. A cheat for me is something where I am not going to count the macros and I am not going to care if it puts me over my planned daily intake. Today is my planned cheat meal. One meal that I wont count. The rest of the day I will eat like normal. Its possible I still end up right where I want to be but I doubt it since I am probably going to get something wiht lots of fat and carbs in it.
  15. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +364
    Yesterday was a bit of an up and down affair. Started out fine as I had breakfast and drank my pre workout shake but then my car wouldnt start. So, that sucked. I go to call my insurances road side assistance to get a jump and my phone wont work. Needless to say I was pretty pissed. I did still make it to the gym about 6 hours later after I got a new battery for my car and made an insurance claim to get a new phone.

Workout was pretty good, I definitely improved compared to my lifts from a week ago so I am happy. I dont do bar shoulder press since it hurts, so using dumbbells I was able to get 60s for 6 on my last set.

No idea how much I ate at the end of the day yesterday, I was around 1400 calories before I cheated around dinner time with sushi and beer. Back on the schedule today. I have been considering allowing myself to be a little higher in calories this week but I am not sure if I will or wait one more week.
  16. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +364
    Sunday went off without a hitch with my new car battery installed and my new cell phone on the way.

I finished off my workout week with a great deadlift day.

I had been considering bumping my calories back up a little since I lost 7 pounds in the first two weeks and dont feel the need to lose too much more. So, for yesterday I stayed under 2500. I think my new goal will be between 2000 and 2500.

Today is an off day, and despite the freezing temperatures I will walk to the train for work. So, I will get in 2+ miles at a decent pace. It takes me around 20 minutes to go around 1.1 miles.

Already planned out my diet for the day which should get me just around 2100 calories. The hard part will be holding out to either eat dinner later or not finding something to snack on during MNF. Also, staying awake for the game.
  17. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +364
    As I figured earlier in the day watching the game would add to what I eat today. I miscalculated a little bit too so I ended up over 2500 for the day.

Should be ok if I get back on track tomorrow. 3 pretty high days in a row this week though my workouts have been solid. Tomorrow I am gonna try to get some cardio in at the gym in addition to my walking. If I am awake early enough I may do this fasted before work.
  18. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +364
    Didn't make it to the gym today. Woke up late and just felt sore all day so skipped it. I did drop my diet under 2000 for the day though so I am at least back on track there. Have to lift tomorrow, its a deload week which I think I really need right now.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +364
    After skipping the gym after work yesterday I made sure to get my workout in before I went to work this morning. Wish I could do that all the time, its a great way to start the day. My erratic sleep patterns just make it hard for me to consistently get up at the same time. I also think my alarm is broken.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +1,760
    Little burned out so all I'm going to do is Turkish Get Ups and dumbbell swings for a few weeks, minimalist training.