Day One

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by LeafUF, Dec 3, 2010.

1. G8RBrave

G8RBrave Super Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    Lower Body Dynamic Day

6x4 Broad Jumps
    3x10 Split Squats
    3x12 Hanging Leg Raises
    3x10 45 degree hyperextensions
  2. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +822
    I'm experimenting with a template which I HOPE will enable me to hone both my pistol-squats and one-armed pushups (OAP) while holding tendontitis at bay. Basically, I'm rotating a 'pistol-centric' (A) and an 'OAP-centic' (B) workout:

(A) pistols, low reps, plenty of rest, then circuits of pike-pushups, freehand squats and pullups.

(B) OAP progressions then circuits of lunges, inverted rows and jumping jacks.

So far, so good.

Disclaimer: (practicing for my website) "Neither pistol-squats not one-armed pushups are in any way necessary for strength and fitness and are probably not advisable for the general population. I merely undertake them as personal challenges."
  3. G8RBrave

Ratings Received:
    +5
    Lower Body

Squats worked up to max weight 3 reps. Shattered my old record, so my legs are getting stronger.
    Bulgarian Split Squats - 3x10
    45 Degree Hyperextension -3x15
    Ab Circuit (Hanging leg raises, crunches, V-ups) 3x10 of each
  4. G8RBrave

Ratings Received:
    +5
    Forgot to post yesterday's

Barbell Bench Press 135 lbs 3x12

Superset 1 - Chinups 1x12, Pull ups 1x11, Wide Grip Pullups 1x8
    Superset 1 - Face Pulls 3x10

Lat Raises 4x10

Superset 2 - Barbell Shrugs 3x8
    Superset 2 - Hammer Curls 3x8
  5. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +822
    Found that if I foam-roll calves, ITB, quads and glutes prior I get a better pistol-squat. Certainly the whole glute complex needs to be 'excited' and firing to stabilize the knee. pain about 1 out of 10 as opposed to the usual 2 or 3 out of 10. I can live without. Probably another workout or two at 12'' before I reduce to 10''. No need to rush this time around.

Secondary priority are one-armed pushup progressions. Doing them with one hand on ball. Experimenting with bearing most of the weight on the floor hand and most of the weight on the ball hand. I read both.

Also experiencing less discomfort in the VMO with the hip-thrusters. PFS seems to be calming down a bit. Still have to be careful.
  6. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +822
    Pullups: aiming to get my chest to the bar. I probably never will without a slight kip, but the 'intent' to do so is certainly bettering the contraction, at the top, so as to (hopefully) facilitate a muscle-up in the near future.

Modified Handstand Pushups: to 6'' stack of books. Remove one book each time I get 2 X 10. I have huge traps now.

Bag workout ... and got the 'occasional sprinting' in that I like to babble about. The sprinting was occasioned when the garbage truck spooked my dog ... he ran ... I ran to catch him. It was like Jenson Button running Vettel's ass down yesterday.
  7. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +822
    Handstand pushups, pullups and shoulders-feet elevated unilateral hip thrusters. Down to 4'' stack of books for the HSPU's. I may be getting these before I get the strict one-armed pushups.

Getting in about 10,000 steps a day. Trying to set a good example for the trainees of mine who I have wearing pedometers.
  8. nggator

nggator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Dream,
    Interesting you mention pedometers. 3 weeks ago, I had my 2nd back surgery, a L5S1 fusion. I was told to begin walking a lot, so I bought a pedometer.
    What is your experience with your clients and this type of surgery, as far as working out later on?
  9. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +822
    ng, just saw a study where people who wear pedometers get 2,500 steps a day more than those who don't. That's about 1.25 miles a day! For me, the pedometer is a diagnostic tool I use to gauge general activity. For my trainees, it's motivational. They tell me it's like having a personal trainer on their waistband. :wink:

I haven't trained anyone with a spinal fusion. Aside from the walking (which is great), do you have any restrictions ? Are you rehabbing ?
  10. nggator

nggator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    I am just three weeks post surgery. I am able to only walk a little each day. Doc said everything looks good. For the next six weeks, goals are going back to work, driving, and walking everyday. I am to wear a brace for approximately 3 months
    I am a life long athlete, 54, and have worked out the majority of those years. I like to read/research and there is not a whole lot out there about does and don'ts. Common sense tells you several lifts are out the door. I like to be on programs, not just whatever comes to mind, so I'm apprehensive about what I will be able to do. The good thing is I've got a lot of time.

Thanks a lot
  11. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +822
    I will tell you that, although I haven't had anything like spinal fusion, I have a couple of herniated discs and associated other (fairly significant) dings. And seeing as how I'll be 55 in August, I do find that I have to exercise caution.

More and more I'm moving away from barbells to various bodyweight exercises. For 'cardio' I'll do something like pushing a heavy bag across my backyard. It's 'high intensity-low amplitude.' Has the effect of hill-sprinting but less stress on the joints. And I do get in lots of walking as I'd like to set an example for the trainees of mine that I'm urging to do the same.

And much to my encouragement, more and more research is pointing away from a need for prodigious amounts of exercise and towards intelligent programming along with sensible eating. Accordingly, at nearly 55 I'm leaner than I was when I got married at 32.
  12. nggator

nggator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Thanks Dream. I've also noticed a lot more info on bodyweight exercises. Obviously, it's an area that I will do a lot of reading on. I am hoping the walking will help my legs. Hopefully in 2 months I can begin 'working out" again.
    Thanks!
  13. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +822
    All the best to you and please stay in touch! I would be happy to help you in anyway that I can. FYI: my trainees range in age from 19 to 76 with the latter being a cancer-survivor and heart-attack survivor.
  14. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +354
    Since I am traveling right now I have just been doing whatever has been available to me. The gym here is decent but mostly I am just doing PLP everyday to make sure I get in at least some activity.
  15. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +822
    OAP progressions, feet-elevated dining room table rows and airborne lunges. Proceeded to backyard bag-pushing, was interrupted by rain and so came inside and did circuits of:

mountain climbers, break-dancers and burpees

Observations: doing wrist-rollers prior to pushing work seems to contain the tendonitiis a bit whereas thoroughly warming up the glutes (bridges, band walks) seems to reduce knee discomfort for the one-legged squatting.
  16. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +822
    Handstand pushups + pullups + box pistol squats. Apart from twinges here and there, okay in the pain department. Was raining again so I did 100 dumbbell swings in 2:40 with 35 lb. dumbbell.
  17. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +822
    My shoulders hurt from carrying this forum lately. Nonetheless:

OAP progressions, feet-elevated inverted rows and single-legged deadlifts. Finished off with ten minutes of continuous Turkish Get-Ups.
  18. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +354
    Not sure where the others have been. I was away the last two weeks first in Alaska then Las Vegas. Not a lot of computer time or workout time in either place. And now its a long weekend, one that I am taking to get back into the gym while most will be at the beach. I will try to do that a little too.
  19. Dreamliner

Ratings Received:
    +822
    Got a back bridge today. I couldn't even do them when I was a kid. The key was working to improve the kyphosis that was inhibiting me. Also:

Negative one-arm pushups with diminishing assistance: non-working hand perpendicular to torso, slide away from torso while lowering. Progressed to using only heel of assistance hand. So, maybe in a week or two I'll transition to pure negatives. And from there, hopefully the real deal.

No-feet inverted rows: did these on my son's bunk bed. Lay perpendicular across bottom bed, grab railing above, thrust feet in air and then attempt to pull chest to railing. These are the most difficult I've tried and I do well to pull to point where my upper arms are parallel to the bed. For me, this movement may be the precursor to a front lever.

Pistol squat progressions: doing these without the dumbbells that enabled me to do a full pistol earlier. Squatting to 10'' box and contemplating going to 8'' box the next workout or two. Only marginal discomfort in knees so far. Really endeavoring to keep the stress primarily on the glute complex.

Then some tire-flipping to finish and short walk and stretch.
  20. BossaGator

BossaGator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +406
    I just added these to the bag of tricks I build my workouts out of. Good stuff. IMO another good conjugate exercise to help me increase my max traditional deadlift (along with things like heavy KB swings and good mornings).