Day One

Discussion in 'Gator Country Health and Fitness' started by LeafUF, Dec 3, 2010.

1. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +347
    Took yesterday off from the gym and still watched what I ate. Gave myself a little break and bumped closer to 2200.

Today though I am doing birthday dinner at Fogo De Chao so I will consider that my first real cheat as its the first meal I wont really check my calories or portion sizes.
  2. vanders

vanders Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,560
    great job Leaf

I got back on the bandwagon of taking care of myself too
    Had done a great job last year prior to the daughter's wedding and then I just let things slide

Saw the advertisement for the NEW program on Weightwatchers.... decided to go there and give it a try~ looking forward to weigh in Monday

and the sad part of it all is eating right makes everyone feel better
    • Like Like x 1
  3. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +347
    Oh yeah, I feel great. I really did not fall that far off, just had one really bad month where I was just constantly thrown off my routine. I knew the hardest part would just be getting the ball back rolling.

Once you start back on track it keeps getting easier. This is just a really tough time of year so I figured instead of letting another month get behind me I would start a thread to keep me on track.

Sounds like you had a similar idea by starting the new program at weight watchers. Good luck.
  4. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +347
    The amount of steak I ate last night was amazing. Just like Dylan said in Silvio "every pleasure's got an edge of pain. pay for your ticket and don't complain". Tasted great and definitely hurt.

At least I was able to get in the gym yesterday and will again today. And of course the grocery store since I need to get right back to doing what I have been for the past week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-EN3_I78-0E
  5. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +347
    Got into the gym for deadlifts yesterday. My favorite day of the week. I am not that strong with them getting up 180 on my last set. Since I just started doing them for the first time I dont think that is too bad. Ate just over my 2200, it seems I eat more on the weekends since I have more free time.

Today I am taking the day off from the gym but I still plan on walking a mile (through the snow, OK, its a light dusting, but still) to the train today.
  6. G8rChuck85

G8rChuck85 Moderator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,709
    Nicely done Leaf! I think a cheat day once in a while helps keep you on track in the long run.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +347
    Monday is one of my off days from the gym. And I was back at work which is easier for me to eat a little bit less. I ended up somewhere between 1950 and 2000 for the day.

Had one of the more stressful, frustrating Monday mornings I could remember. I dont think I had ever noticed before but somewhere along the way the combination of work and stress just had me craving bad food. Fortunately, there was not any around and it was so butt cold outside I was not leaving the office to find any. I got myself a coffee and pushed through the rest of the day.

Tonight is gonna be a gym night, not sure if I will lift or just get some cardio in. Packing my gym bag now.
  8. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +347
    Typed a lot, lost it. Summarizing.

1900+ calories yesterday.

2.5 miles on the elliptical at the gym.

Bench press night tonight.
  9. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +347
    Working in an office full of coders and developers leads to junk lying around. Not that I am normally opposed to this or anything its just frustrating when you are watching intake and would rather spend them on something more substantial.

So I get to walk by the table full of cookies and cupcakes and peanut m&ms every time I leave my desk.
  10. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +347
    Got in a pretty good workout tonight. This was day 1 of my 3rd week on 5-3-1 this go round. Tonight was bench.

1st set 170 x 5
    2nd set 190 x 3
    3rd set 215 x 3

I definitely had one more in me on the last set, maybe two but with my shoulder I dont push the upper body stuff too much. Based a 1RM calc and my 5-3-1 chart that puts me just a bit over where I should be (estimated max x .9).

For my diet today I am right around 2100 calories.

Macros breakdown like this:
    Protein - 212 grams
    Carbs - 124 grams (Fiber 27 grams)
    Fat - 84
  11. MGBarrett

MGBarrett New Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    Leaf, I was on a workout plan too. It was going great until global cooling started. All my equipment is in the garage and it's too cold to run on the treadmill or work out when it's flippin 40 degrees.

Keep it up.
  12. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +347
    Ha, sorry its too cold for you Florida folks, this morning when I left for work it felt like 9 degrees out. Not an exaggeration that's what it said on weather.com. My gym is nice and warm though.

Hope the weather turns around for ya and you can get back in that gym.
  13. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +806
    On total body workouts again. Today I did:

one-armed rows
    one-armed push press
    goblet squat

Used roughly 8RM weight and did 10 sets of 6, circuit style, roughly 15 sec rest between exercises, roughly 30-45 sec rest between circuits. Took about 22 minutes. No need for cardio at this pace. Pulse rate was probably 90-95% most of the workout.
  14. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +347
    I love one arm rows. What are goblet squats?
  15. Dreamliner

Dreamliner Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +806
    An innovation of strength coach, Dan John, basically, they correct all your squatting flaws by forcing you to keep your torso upright and your hips open. Done correctly, they're a gasser. And after my workout, though this surely wasn't my primary goal, my thighs had a really nice pump:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUUjX9qyDGg
  16. chrisleakfan4life

chrisleakfan4life Gator Highlights

Ratings Received:
    +17
    A little OT but do you guys have any suggestions for controlling hunger?

It the end it all comes down to will power, but I'm seeing if there is something I'm not trying.

I have tried drinking plenty of water and i take hunger control medicaton but it doesn't seem to work.

I think i really need to get more fiber into my diet, the problem is it is really hard to get a lot o fiber from a single item. The best option i have seen is fiber one cereal.

I'm drinking around 80-100 ounces of water per day, should i add more fiber? The problem with cereal is milk, i use smart balance fat free milk and by the time you have a bowl of cereal(and its not a very good size portion) its looking at 300+ calories.

What do guys recommend?
  17. chrisleakfan4life

chrisleakfan4life Gator Highlights

Ratings Received:
    +17
    Also and this is probably a stupid question but how do i tell i'm getting the most out of my weight lifting?

Today after i lifted weights last night i was not sore anywhere except my for my triceps, is that pretty much an indication that i'm not doing enough? When i lift(i only do machines for now) i usually do 3 sets of 10 reps on each machine and the weight is always put on a level to where by the time im done with each set i can't really lift the weight any more.

Just wondering if i am doing it right or if i need to push myself more. Should i do more sets(i.e. 5 sets of 10 reps)?
  18. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +347
    The only thing I use is caffeine but I am eating a lot more than you so I dont need much if any.

Honestly the only thing I would recommend is illegal now so you probably wont be able to find it.

In your thread someone mentioned Oxyelite pro, that might be worth a shot. Also, if you are already taking an appetite suppressant I wouldnt stack it with another one. Maybe switch to see if you get better results.

For fiber try eating a cup of veggies or something. Steam in the bag broccoli is real easy and should give you some fiber to help fill you up. I also pick up fiber pills at BJs or Costco and use those to get a little more.

I dont drink milk so I cant eat cereal, oatmeal for breakfast would be a better option. I sometimes make this with water then add walnuts and a tsp of honey. Not sure the cals.
  19. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +347
    Not knowing what exercises you were doing I would say you aren't exactly doing it right. Adding more sets imo wont change that. It sounds like the weight is either too easy or your form is just off. And personally I would ditch the machines entirely or at the very least start mixing in free weights. Also, check youtube to see what proper form looks like.
  20. LeafUF

LeafUF Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +347
    Dream goblet squats look familiar I guess I had just never heard the name before. Today is actually my squat day. Standard barbell squat.

So I already said what I did yesterday last night instead I will focus on my plan for today.

I am a creature of habit and during the week I plan all of my meals out and add up all of the macros before I leave for work. So for today from breakfast until I get home from the gym I plan to have 1200 calories and then fill in the rest for the day once I get home. Today is a little lower than normal, I dont plan based on what I am going to be doing so much as what I want to eat. I should probably change that to be more inline with my workouts.
    • Like Like x 1