David Shaw

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by gatorcrimlaw08, Nov 9, 2013.

1. gatorcrimlaw08

gatorcrimlaw08 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +59
    I'll preface this with the disclaimer that I doubt we have a realistic shot at getting Shaw for a number of reasons. But I'm just curious, when replacement coaches who are likely as equally unattainable as Shaw are discussed here, why does nobody mention Shaw's name? I go a bunch of Stanford games out here and they're a hell of a lot of fun to watch play. Also, Shaw has proven himself to be a rock solid coach who didn't miss a beat when Harbaugh jumped to the No Fun League. In fact, I think there's an argument that Stanford is playing better under Shaw than they ever did under Harbaugh. So why Briles, Petersen, and, god forbid, Kingsbury, over David Shaw?
  2. mikehev

mikehev Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +256
    I think he is looked at as not being a realistic option because he would not leave.

I agree, he is a great coach.

In Christ forever,
    Mike
    John 3:16
  3. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,504
    because it is not realestic
  4. gatorcrimlaw08

Ratings Received:
    +59
  5. gatorcrimlaw08

Ratings Received:
    +59
    And Briles, Petersen, or Jon Gruden are? Got it.
  6. balance

balance Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    Most likely because there appears to be little incentive for Shaw to make a lateral move.

Fertile recruiting state. Major conference and press coverage. A top program in the conference. Excellent Athletics department. Direct access to premier bowl games/playoff due to conference ties.

Use UF or Stanford for the above description and decide why you'd move unless you're just unhappy there.
  7. g8r2012

g8r2012 Member

Ratings Received:
    +3
    Neither are Briles or Petersen though and that doesn't stop anyone from yelling their names out. I don't think people mention Shaw because he runs the offense Muschamp dreams of running. Big, tough OL manhandling the defense and playing smash mouth football.
  8. Ofg8r

Ofg8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +225
    Shaw? Doesn't he run a Saban, Muschamp style offense? How in the world could he coach the Gators who need to throw the ball around? Like today.
  9. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,078
    Great coach!
  10. samit23

samit23 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +209
    First of all Shaw appears to be a great coach but I think his plan is to follow Harbaugh to NfL. He is widely respected in the league. Second this description is simply incorrect. Stanford has a very very small recruiting base to choose from. There are only about 50-100 kids a year that fit their academic criteria.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  11. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,504
    I dont think Briles is too realistic either. I dont know about Gruden it is hard to fight off the itch of coaching. Peterson would call his two former assistance on staff and see what they had to say and I think he would then stay away.
  12. gatorcrimlaw08

Ratings Received:
    +59
    Saban seems to be doing fine for himself. Muschamp knows what he wants to run, but he's too inept to put it together. If Shaw can do what he does with Stanford men in the Pac-12, imagine what he could do with SEC size linemen. He's not unimaginative with play calling and he's shown that he understands what needs to happen for this type of scheme to work.

I've never been in the "high flying offense" camp. I'm firmly in the "we need to look like we're not playing slap and tickle" camp.
  13. balance

balance Member

Ratings Received:
    +19
    Where is my description incorrect? I wrote a fertile recruiting state, nothing about academic eligibility.
  14. Ofg8r

Ofg8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +225
    Gatorcrimilaw, I guess you haven't been reading this board. There have been innumerable posts stating that the Saban/Shaw style of offense does not fit the Florida high school talent. (Oddly, it seems to fit the Cali h/s talent.) It is a given on GC that Florida has to have a passing guru. I think the idea is that we have an offense that we could name with a catchy name. How about "fun and gun"?

There were comments made specifically after the Stanford-Oregon game denigrating the Stanford offense.

Just saying.
  15. gatorcrimlaw08

Ratings Received:
    +59
    I don't subscribe to that theory. Bama recruits nationwide. So does Stanford. They both recruit Florida, too. Every other state but Florida can turn out high school talent that fits those schemes? The Florida kids recruited to play in the Saban/Shaw offense must be drastically different than the Florida kids being recruited to UF, right? That's a bunch of garbage. It's about developing the talent.
  16. Ofg8r

Ofg8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +225
    So, you subscribe to the Muschamp philosophy, but you want a better offensive line, and an OC who does not try to get cute with1st and goal at the one.

When you say Muschamp is too inept to implement the Saban/Shaw offensive style I almost get the impression that you think Champ is calling the plays. Or maybe you subscribe to the theory that Champ should jump in once he hears the call on his headset, process what he heard, and call a different play--with maybe 4 seconds on the play clock; or call a time-out; or incur multiple delay of a game penalties. Or when you say that Champ is too inept to run the offense you are just making a blanket indictment of the HC because that is what is done on message boards.

It is obvious that something has to be done about the oline and OC. If you cannot trust your line with first down on the one; or your OC just has a maniacal urge to do something crazy every time you get in the red zone, you do have a problem. You are coaching with half a deck. I think if you listen to Champ in the post-game you know that he realizes that.
  17. tomis_gator

tomis_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    Would love to have him but I doubt we have a shot.
  18. samit23

samit23 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +209
    Stanford doesn't really recruit California. Thy recruit nationally because it is very difficult to find players that fit, so there is nothing fertile about Cali as far as they are concerned. I listened to Shaw on NPR a while back and he described the challenges in great detail about how far try have to go to find guys. He is interesting coach, I like him but he needs a few more years if success between him and Harbaugh before I am totally sold.

Sent from my iPhone using GatorCountry
  19. GatorAvatar

GatorAvatar New Member

Ratings Received:
    +170
    Shaw's next destination, if he ever leaves Stanford is the NFL. There is no way he leaves Stanford for UF...he is a Stanford guy.
  20. your_perfect_enemy

your_perfect_enemy Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +761
    I wonder how unrealistic it is? Florida is a better job than Stanford, it just is. Unless he has playing ties to Stanford or just prefers Palo Alto (I wouldn't blame him and I'm a proud Gainesville resident ) why wouldn't he come?