David Parker article

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by studegator, Oct 15, 2013.

1. PTCGator

PTCGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +139 / 18 / -3
    Excellent article that gets right to the heart of the matter! Gator fans wanted a spectacular turnaround after Meyer flew the plane right into the ground! I like what Muschamp is doing even if I don't like watching inferior play on the field. Our O-line is in full retreat right now. Maybe this will help them get on the right track. You don't have to be the most talented players on the field to win....you just have to play together as a team!
  2. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +274 / 79 / -16
    The 2006 MNC Champions were NOT a weak championship team by ANY stretch. No, they didn't light up the field with half a hundred, but they didn't have to. They were tested week in and week out and proved worthy.

If Muschamp was the head coach in 2006, would we have won? I'll submit to you that if we had Muschamp as head coach and Larry Fedora rather than Dan Mullen as OC, we might have won the MNC in both 2005 and 2006. Both were defense-dominant teams with a far better quarterback than any that Muschamp had at Florida thus far.

Would Muschamp have beaten Tennessee with our great defense and Chris Leak? Probably easier than Meyer did, because Meyer was still trying to sand off Leak's square peg to fit in Meyer's round hole, rather than let Chris be Chris, which he HAD to do in order to win. Everyone remembers the infamous "slide," and Tebow single-handedly winning the game with a 1 yard 4th down run, but Leak threw three TDs to win that game.

Put another way, if Muschamp could beat 11-2 Texas A&M, 11-2 USCe, 12-2 Florida State and 10-3 LSU with a quarterback that couldn't carry Leak's clipboard, I think the chances of him beating a 9-4 Tennessee team that was really no better than last year's Vandy team would be pretty good.

No, I think Fedora (or Brent Pease), as well as Muschamp, would feel extraordinarily more comfortable with a poised experienced 4-year starter at quarterback, particularly if that QB was playing in a prostyle offense instead of a hybrid spread option that was unsuitable for him.

Your contempt for our coach is amazing...
  3. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +3,740 / 84 / -24
    You must have missed the entire 2012 season.... that was probably the best coaching performance in Gator football history, given the roster we had, playing against one of the most brutal schedules in CFB history.

Nobody plays against five top 10 teams in one season, let alone win four of them. With any roster.

Having missed the entire 2012 season, I'll assume your "Jeapordy" comments are borne of ignorance as opposed to bad intent.
  4. Welshgator

Welshgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +180 / 6 / -4
    Now, now. That's no way to treat your betters. You should doff your gator cap when they post at this low level. I quite often see them roaming the hallways at Shands gathering up information on injured players. Easily recognizable by the beautiful women on each arm and a bodyguard leading the way proclaiming, "To one side! GC payee approaching!"
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Nicho

Nicho Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +390 / 12 / -3
    I LOLed.
  6. theghost

theghost Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +343 / 48 / -11
    Agree w/ you. He single handedly ran off some very good members. Not sure why Ray decided to reward him w/ his own column. Those that have been around 5+ years know....
  7. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +502 / 122 / -31
    This post has me cracking up!
  8. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +523 / 40 / -5
    Thanks - very good article that accurately sums up our situation right now.

I only hope our coaching staff will pay heed and learn from our losses as we move forward.

There's a reason for every loss and those who fail to learn from them are doomed to repeat them.
  9. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +668 / 141 / -85

I myself think we'll do better on OL against Mizzou because the OL will really be concentrating on picking blitzes and Mizzou's athletes aren't the level of LSU's either.

I myself sort of took Parker's article that our O-linemen are all bust, at least to me that's what I read between the lines, and I think these kids we have aren't that bad, I just think the coaches could do a better job.
  10. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +572 / 190 / -93
    Bust is the wrong way to think of it. One guy is under weight another is playing with an injured arm and another is playing out of position. He also points out Jones is the only complete back in the roster so now we have RB's that are not great at blocking. Not to mention we have a back up QB in the game
  11. gatorich

gatorich Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +246 / 8 / -2
    You could really see the struggles of the RBs picking up their blocks after Jones went out. Hopefully they will get better with more reps in practice and game experience.
  12. Ofg8r

Ofg8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +156 / 52 / -20
    With supporters like these, who needs detractors?

Anyone who really, honestly, thinks that Champ lacks brain power must have some faulty neurons, to stay with the analogy of the day. I presume that statements about Champ's brain power are meant to be hyperbole--or something.

Is he as polished of a HC as Saban and Miles; or even Richt and Urban "The Faint"? Of course not. But, Foley knew that, and thought it worth the investment to let him grow in the job. Maybe Foley, too, is lacking in brainpower? I guess the AD at Texas must be in the same fix.

On a change of pace. We were told that Saban wanted Pease as his OC. Maybe that wasn't true; or maybe Saban knows a little more than GC habitues.

Is it at all possible that both Champ and Pease are doing the best that they can given the circumstances this year? Is it at all possible that Champ is digging as hard as he can to get out of the hole that Urban described as a dysfunctional program after he bailed?

It gets so tedious.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. whitelakegator

whitelakegator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    While I am never ok with a loss I dig the POV. Rep to you.
  14. grumpy_gator

grumpy_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +76 / 0 / -0
    I'm happy to finally see more discussion about the oline issues and a bit less about PT for freshmen ... Sucks it took the LSU game to bring this about.
  15. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +668 / 141 / -85
    O.k., that's some good points Raz. I agree there.
  16. Swamper

Swamper New Member

Ratings Received:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    how many years is foley willing to let young will "grow" into the job?
  17. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +274 / 79 / -16
    OK, so he finishes the year at 9-3 and wins the bowl game for a 10-3 record. He does it again next year. The following year, he goes 11-2 again, with a trip to Atlanta, but gets blown out by Alabama (or whoever).

His five year record would be:

7-6
    11-2
    10-3
    10-3
    12-2

49-16 (.762)

If you were Foley, would you fire him?
  18. Ofg8r

Ofg8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +156 / 52 / -20
    The question was, " how many years is foley willing to let young will "grow" into the job?"

I don't know the answer; only Foley knows. However, I am pretty sure that it is more than 2.5 years.
  19. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +286 / 26 / -4
    Great, we'll have our very own Mark Richt except without two SEC titles. Performing too well to fire and yet only winning the East once in five years. That may be unfair compared to where we were and currently are as a program but I don't think it's unrealistic to expect SECCG appearances more often than once every five years at a program with our resources.

With our defenses under Muschamp I think we'll do better than that though.
  20. THEBIGFISH

THEBIGFISH Premium Member Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +55 / 0 / -0
    "I am your King"

"Well I didnt vote for you"