David Parker article

Discussion in 'Swamp Gas' started by studegator, Oct 15, 2013.

1. tomis_gator

tomis_gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +15
    Did you have trouble keeping your concentration through the whole thing?
  2. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +656
    You've also said that oline is the hardest position to predict and to not be worried about signing 3 star players. Well, we have one five star and a bunch of three star players so I'm not sure why you're justifying their poor performance for not being 4 and 5 star recruits.
  3. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,841
    I did say Oline was the hardest to predict. I am saying his stance is on the position is wrong because we are not some Oline filled with 5 star players. The problem with UF's Oline is not recruiting enough so they develop and injuries.

the thought "oh we have a bunch of 5 star player on the Oline and we cant coach" is a false stateement
  4. deathroll

deathroll Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +596
    Tuppence, tuppence. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHrRxQVUFN4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. The_Graygator

The_Graygator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,646

~Sigh~

Ok, one more time... :wink:

When I see a 5 star kid like Humphries who consistently whiffs on as many blocks as he does after playing for two years, I question the coaches. I'm not saying fire the staff, but from someone who's played the game before, as a QB, I question the coaches.

RAZ, if you are waiting on pins and needles to throw some sort of recruiting star level stat out here, whatever. I'm not a novice at recruiting either mind you, as I was one of the bigger recruitniks on GC back in the late '90's and early '00's until I finally got tired of the hassle of dealing with it.

Now I am more than able to admit that I thought all of our starting linemen were ranked pretty high and chased by a number of schools... was I mistaken on that?

Admittedly, I don't devote a tenth of the time to it that I used to, but I also know our coaches, Meyer and Muschamp, avidly recruited the kids we have now and saw the developmental ceiling of these kids and after all this time we haven't really seen it. One thing I learned playing the game is that coaching is a heck of a lot more part of the player than his recruiting ranking.

We are basically agreeing on some levels here anyway I think, but there's no need to always be in such a hurry to prove someone else wrong, and just a suggestion? You'll gather a lot more flies with honey than with vinegar. Or are you just arguing over a single star in a recruiting ranking debate? I sure hope not, because that'd be pretty silly IMO, when you could have just pointed it out earlier without being so dramatic and trying to set someone up for a "gotcha" moment. Not raggin' on ya, but that's how you come across as a lot of times. :angel:

When I see lesser talented OL recruits playing well at other schools and then the kids who are offered and developed and coached at UF struggle like this, sure, I question the coaching.
  6. gator07

gator07 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +703
    How could you not?
  7. ArtDeco

ArtDeco Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +507
    The only problem with all this is it sounds like a lot of excuses at some point. Sure, it takes time to build a winner, but it takes even longer if you don't have the right men on the job.
    A good example is Urban's first Natty. No way did I ever think that team would get that far. To be honest, to this day, I don't celebrate that trophy as much as the 2008 one, because I think the 06 team was the weakest Championship team we ever fielded. So how on Earth did we get the crystal that year? Everything fell into place, sure, but at some point, we had a coach that made our own breaks for us and we had some players who made highlight reels and kept us winning because of some heroic efforts. Now ask yourself, if we had Muschamp as the HBC in 2006, do we win the crystal? Do we even beat Tennessee that year?
    I was a Muschamp fan and sat through some agonizing losses (Cocktail parties come to mind), but my patience has worn thin. I don't doubt the DC skill set, I doubt the ability to lead a group of 85 men to be better than they have any right to be. I'm also a little worried that if we put him and Murphy head to head in a game of Jeopardy, Murphy would win easily. I like my coaches smarter than my QB.
  8. demosthenes

demosthenes Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +656
    It is perplexing which makes me question both the protection scheme and position coach.
  9. phideltgator

phideltgator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +358
    The talent pool is being stretched thin. It's not like the good ole days. Everyone has their hand in the pie now which makes the 'rebuilding' process that much more difficult.
  10. OaktownGator

OaktownGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +5,820
    The issue for a guy lke Humphries who is small for his position is he can't react quickly to speed rushes because he has to set so hard for bull rushes to keep from getting over powered. I think that's why he was moving early last game... to get back quick into his set.

With more strength and weight, he should be able to play more balanced and move his feet and stay in front of the rusher. That's my take anyway.

If we had the depth that we should have from earlier classes, he really shouldn't be playing extensively yet against SEC competition because of his size, IMO. I worry that he might develop bad habits playing at this weight, that are hard to unlearn.

As far as "lesser talented OL kids playing well at other schools", I am not sure who you are thinking of at other schools. If you're comparing kids to DJ, I think we need to be cognizant of physical maturity and readiness to play at this level, regardless of how many stars somebody had. The rest of our guys are three star recruits other than Moore, who is out of position IMO, again because of lack of depth at tackle.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Ofg8r

Ofg8r Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +225
    OaktownGator--yes.

People act like Humphries is a mature starter. He played sparingly last year. Moore was out of football for a year, in addition to being young. Much is made of his starting--for a partial season at Nebraska, a desperate team. I also believe that he is not yet in his normal position.

Everyone who watches, and I watch the OLINE carefully as it is the most fascinating part of the game to me, sees a ton of mistakes against stunts and blitzes. (You also see it in the pros to some extent). I do not know, nor does anyone else who pontificates here, how much is attributable to faulty coaching. I do know that experience and continuity are important on an Oline when facing a sophisticated defense, such as found in the SEC; and there has not been much of either on the line this year or in the recent past.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. gator34654

gator34654 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +922
    I question the OL coaching and our O philosophy. We wear out our OL on long drives that against good D usually ends up in a punt or fg, they are able to change DL yet our 5 OL are asked to grind it out 35 minutes per game and we wonder why they are hurt and tired to the point of not blocking which says a lot when they begin the game not blocking well. WM recipe at this point is not working. News to WM, an effective O is one that can run and pass effectively and is not a dink and dunk offense. But go ahead and run up the middle for 2 yards and see how that works against uga, usce and sow.
  13. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +856
    Stubborn about refusing to play the better players like Murphy and Taylor until after it has cost us games and only until a injury forces it. I'm calling it right now- Thompson is better than Clay Burton and Telvin. I have absolutely no inside info, but I can bet that I am right.

Also he is stubborn with the predictable playcalling. Hopefully this loss changes him.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. TrillGator

TrillGator Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +81
    Have to be able to protect to throw the ball downfield. At this point, we are not protecting very well.
  15. SECund2nun

SECund2nun Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +856
    LOL message board elitist. Do you go through life thinking you are better than people because you play like 9.99 a month to Gator Country? :D
  16. G8RNTN

G8RNTN VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,025
    YES!!!!! :grin:
    • Like Like x 1
  17. secgator

secgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +747
    Uh....if you go to GC home page, and maybe wait for it to cycle through a few seconds--perhaps 30 maybe....it pops up there for the whole damn world to read.

It is NOT exclusive for the 'elite' ones as you may think. The peasants can read it just the same as you, without having to do anything. Other than wait on the home page for enough time to take a sip of coffee. Maybe two sips.
  18. secgator

secgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +747
    Scroll down and read the 'tags' for this thread. Don't know who put them there but suffice it say....amusing on one of them for sure.

I didn't bother to even read the article. As someone else said--lots of fluff and too wordy. Besides, I remember when PD would come into Too Hot and post his 'opinions'. Not worth getting into, but I won't ever read any of his 'postulations', much less anything else he writes.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,841
    Where are you seeing these lesser talented recruits excel is my point? Harrison and Halipio were rated in the 100's at their position. Moore is a guard playing tackle and DJ is not at the weight he needs to be at yet.

What I have seen this year is a left tackle not big enough. A left guard play well. A center play decent. A RG play with one arm and a tackle play out of position.

For the LSU game the best pass blocking RB goes down and we have a back up QB see pressure for the first time. The young WR's that everybody wants to play also miss hot routes.

A lot of this has to do with coaching but more has to do with injury. We lack depth at certain positions and it is killing us. They are going to need to do some mass protection and hope the other team plays man but we dont have elite WR's with experience.
  20. Wormwood56

Wormwood56 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,366
    You should have been here a decade ago...