Da'Shawn Hand Down To Three

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by ETGator1, Jun 12, 2013.

1. DoctorGator

DoctorGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +183
    To each his own, I guess. I've actually spent time at Iowa (was a prof. at Iowa State), Indiana and Wisconsin. None of those three are in UF's league as far as campus beauty. Not in UF's league, imo. Never been to Ann Arbor, but once turned down a job interview at UM the day after I accepted the job at UF. I looked into it pretty closely and the Michigan campus is cut up into pieces in different parts of the city, connected to one another by bus, correct? I didn't make my decision not to interview based on that, obviously, and it was an honor to even be considered for that faculty, but I do remember being a little bummed that the Engineering College was not on the same campus as the football stadium and I'd have to take a bus ride to even see the Big House. The campus doesn't sound so great to me.

Academically, Michigan is one of the top 3 public universities in the land. If UF had not offered, I would probably be on the UM faculty today, since the department head said that they only interview the person that they are going to hire. They don't mess around. Great, great school. Not far behind the lower Ivy League schools. Can't say enough about the place.

As far as where UF would rank in the Big 10, by all accounts, historically, (last 30 years) it would rank behind Northwestern, Michigan, Wisconsin and Penn State - that's fifth out of 13, not in the bottom half, my friend. You could make a case for Illinois and Ohio State being ahead of UF, but I would take UF over them. Even if you rated those two ahead of UF, we're 7th out of 13 - dead in the middle. But I'd put us fifth. The rest of the conference, while strong, are clearly not the equal of UF.
  2. gatorr4life

gatorr4life Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,194
    These guys don't care about how "nice" a campus looks. Lol it really comes down to three things....usually.... 1. PT, 2. Coaching staff/position coach, 3. Weather.

Yes, some care about academics. But the best ones usually don't. (Unfortunately)
  3. ASteele15

ASteele15 Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +67
    Better reason to come to uf, school is much easier than at Michigan.
  4. LAGatorDoc

LAGatorDoc Premium Member

Ratings Received:
    +881
    I interviewed there for residency two weeks before Thanksgiving (way earlier than all other programs because they were trying to not let us see the bitter winter. It failed as it was already 12 degrees Fahrenheit and snowing/icing. That probably skewed my perception as I didn't see it on a beautiful fall or spring day. But it was pretty dreary
  5. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +965
    Wuss!

I'm a Gator because I grew up in Florida, was a third generation alum and knew nothing about the world outside the south. Even if I'd known more about the college world and had better grades, I went to UF because I loved Gator sports. I was never neutral about this kind of thing until my kids came of age up here in the midwest. If there was a chance this kid was not going to be a top draft pick, I'd tell him to go to Michigan. His career trajectory and connections would be much better. The city of Chicago is loaded with C-level execs from UM. A UF degree doesn't carry much weight beyond Atlanta.

I still believe we have an edge with our football program. I think he fits better and will have more success at UF than at Michigan or Bama. If academics and football are equally important, UF is his best choice by far. He won't get on the field as soon at Bama and won't fit their program as well. I also think they are below then line academically for him. Michigan is below the line with their football program. I don't even think they'll beat Northwestern next year.
  6. gator7_5

gator7_5 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +661
    Hogwash. Maybe he wants to live in Florida like the pile of kids I met at UF when I was there who were from Michigan.

Michigan sucks. You know how I know? I've never been there, and have no plans to go.
  7. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +965
    My point is that if you graduate from U of Michigan, you can go to work almost anywhere, even Florida. The only place Michigan grads can't get a job is Michigan, because there are no jobs. Other than attending college, the only reason to go to Michigan is to pick apples, drink craft beer, ski, drink craft beer, vacation on the lake and drink craft beer.
  8. 1984Gator

1984Gator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +9
    Michigan has an extraordinary reputation, no arguing that but to say that Florida's reputation does not carry much beyond Atlanta is untrue. I might have agreed with you 25 years ago but much has changed since then. My personal experience is that Florida's reputation holds up well in Austin, Denver, Phoenix and the west coat. In fact I've had numerous dealings with Chinese students applying for grad school. They are extremely prestige focused and Florida is well known to them. There are some fine schools in the big 10 but I find that Midwesterners tend to drink the Kool-Aid pretty heavily. I've seen numerous US and world rankings and again there are some B10 schools that are universally respected across all of the ranking sources but few are as biased as the ranking you posted. In fact some have schools like Ohio State in the second hundred, well behind Florida and some other southern schools that might surprise you.
  9. nortonis

nortonis New Member

Ratings Received:
    +47
    I spent a summer in Ann Arbor. It is the quintessential college town. I'd love to live there- except for the weather of course.
  10. uflawyer

uflawyer Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +131
    Michigan sucks--Georgia swallows.

'nough said! :grin:
  11. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +965
    I see there's an article on the front page about Hand, premium content of course. Wonder what's going on there. Anxious to get him on campus to meet other players and some of the other commits. He's got to like the idea of playing along side a big time DT like Clark. I know the Michigan DT is ranked higher, but I don't see the same upside.

Looks like Bama is closing in on Carter. Don't know if Brown to Bama would help us or not.
  12. Nicho

Nicho Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +501
    Andrew Brown? If so, he committed to UVA.
  13. Pieisyummy

Pieisyummy Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +84
    Hand would help the class so much. Much better than Harris or Reed, and I am not sure who else UF is in play for.
  14. gatordee

gatordee Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +2,473
    My money is he will play in the SEC. He seems to be a bright kid but with that kind of talent, he will have the desire to play against the best. When you have a good career in the SEC, there are a lot less question marks. But then again, I did not believe Diggs would end up where he did.
  15. eastowest

eastowest Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +163
    Changed his visit from Oct to Nov ( Vandy game) The visit we be the week b4 he commits.
    Does this help or hurt? Not sure..most still think its Mich
  16. gatorsallday

gatorsallday Member

Ratings Received:
    +50
    Both, helps cause doesn't go see bama play Lsu and we get last shot, hurts cause it's FIVE days before his decision. Not a lot of time to process his visit to UF
  17. trustamerica

trustamerica Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +14
    Inspired Decision Fresh Last Word for he and his parents!
  18. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +965
    I like our chances better now. Amazing that we have a shot at both Hand and Carter, who we probably lead for. That would be the best DE class in school history. Hand will get a fine education and have a better stage for an NFL career. If he's that smart and things don't work out in the NFL, he can go the Huey Richardson route, get an MBA and then head out into the business world.
  19. leogator

leogator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +60
    I used to interview fresh engineering graduates from all over the country: MIT, Stanford, Michigan, UF, etc. A lot of these guys wanted to do really interesting work, research, etc. The guys we hired most of all were from Auburn.
  20. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +965
    I'm sure they were the cheapest. I work in a tech incubator in Chicago. I've yet to meet an Auburn grad. Everybody is from Michigan, Cal Tech, Illinois, Carnegie Mellon, Purdue, IIT and Northwestern. Only southerners I've run into have been from GA Tech.