Da'Shawn Hand Down To Three

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by ETGator1, Jun 12, 2013.

1. 1984Gator

1984Gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    You've been drinking the Kool-Aid. Shall I show you the ranking from prestigious world ranking publications. There is not nearly that kind of B10 homerism from respectable ranking institutions and US News is a paid rag.

2. 1984Gator

1984Gator New Member

Ratings Received:
    +5
    PS - UF doesn't give a chit about a decaying city like Chicago. There are 20 million people in Florida alone and since the tuition is state subsidized, their mission is to cater largely to Florida residents.

3. dallasgatr

dallasgatr Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,308
    Florida has 3 huge advantages over any school in the Big-10. Athletics, winter and girls. I mean I've been to most every school in the Big-10 and to be charitable, it was not good....
  4. Tolbert1906

Tolbert1906 Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +61
    Tuscaloosa is definitely a pit. And Alabama isn't much of a university. But their campus is much nicer than UF's... as much as I hate to say it. It's too bad, because UF had the potential to be a really gorgeous campus. But there are just way too many architectural eyesores. And that really bugs me. Have you seen Alabama's new engineering complex? Whoever is doing the campus planning over there is doing a really great job.
  5. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +782
    Not the last time I saw it. Very traditional architecture. Not as much open space. Very formal. I'm sure their engineering buildings are great, but their engineering department is not in the same league as UF's.
  6. sec1

sec1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +54
    I was at a um game and I'm sorry but its at best in the middle of the sec for campus and atmosphere , for those of you that disagree go to a Ut game or a LSU game or Bama game and you will realize how far behind UM really is
  7. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +782
    "Decaying city!" Not even going to get into that one. Maybe you should look up per capita GDP figures for Chicago vs. the state of Florida. Better still, you should look at the geographic diversity of this country's best universities. Do you think Virginia and California cap their out of state enrollment at 8%? Catering to your home state will get your home state educated but will not improve the standing of a global educational and research institution.

UF should be recruiting the best and brightest from all over, just like they do for football. Two words. Antonio Morrison.
  8. gatorsallday

gatorsallday Member

Ratings Received:
    +50
    Not gonna lie, I live in Tuscaloosa and I hate it here. However their campus is pretty nice though
  9. sec1

sec1 VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +54
    True strange ....
  10. enviroGator

enviroGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +225
    Take it you went in the summer...

I grew up in Michigan, and want nothing to do with winter and campus life.

Walking around campus in sub-freezing weather looking at chicks in snow suits vs.
    walking around campus in 70 deg. weather looking at chicks in bathing suits.

Hmmmm... which would I choose. Oh yeah, I already picked UF!
  11. MelBeachGator

MelBeachGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +102
    So umm yea.....Da'shawn Hand, the #1 recruit in the country....
    • Like Like x 1
  12. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +782
    Game day for sure. Middle of the week, I don't know. A handful of my kids' friends just finished their freshman year there and all they did was study. One girl said she might as well have gone to U of Chicago, whose motto is "Where fun goes to die." I go to Ann Arbor frequently for martial arts seminars and I love the town and the campus. It's not quite as nice as Madison, but few places are.
  13. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +782
    Times Higher Education, link provided by the Guardian. They must be Big 10 homers as well.

12. Michigan
    23. Illinois (obviously not based on campus atmosphere)
    27. Wisconsin
    35. Northwestern (way too low IMHO)
    47. Minnesota
    47. Purdue
    51-60. Ohio State
    51-60. Penn State
    71-80. Michigan State
    81-90. Texas A&M
    81-90. UF (Dropped from 61-70 in the previous year's rankings)
    81-90. Indiana U.

FWIW, this is the first publication I've seen with UF ranked in the top 100.
  14. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +782
    Still looking for respectable ranking institutions who appropriately disrespect the Big 10.
    QS is probably the most respected of all the ranking services.

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2012

17. Michigan
    27. Northwestern
    38. Wisconsin
    56. Illinois
    95. Purdue
    101. Penn State
    104. Minnesota
    105. Ohio State
    169. UF
    174. Michigan State
    199. Iowa

Big 10 Homerism must be a global pandemic.

Like I said, I'm a Gator through and through, but when it came to sending my kids away, I was going to do all the research I could, especially for the schools closest to us. Wanted to send them to the best schools they could get into that offered their majors, but hopefully keep them close to home. My daughter in particular is interested in going to work outside the US, so global reputation was important. She ended up at BU (#64) turning down some good Big 10 schools. My son didn't even leave the city. He wears a Gator hat everywhere he goes. My daughter sleeps in Gator pajamas every night. I don't think either of them could have gone to a football school if it wasn't UF.
  15. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +782
    I guess you don't give a chit about the thousands of alum up here or all the money they send. The local Gator club has a scholarship fund set up to send one Chicagoan to UF every year. One last response, complements of Carl Sandburg, then let's get back to the subject at Hand.

Now, how about that Da'Shaun Hand kid?
  16. Stlouie

Stlouie Member

Ratings Received:
    +7
    From Detroit news

And then there were three.

That's the number of favorites still standing in the race for the nation's No. 1 defensive end, Woodbridge, Va., star Da'Shawn Hand. One week removed from paring his list down to Michigan, Alabama and Florida, and the reverberations are still being felt. South Carolina's place among the cuts wasn't all that surprising. Virginia Tech's definitely was.

"This is all about academics," Hand explained. "Virginia Tech -- they don't have a Sports Marketing program. South Carolina -- their professor really didn't wow me. (South Carolina) was an all right visit, and (South Carolina assistant) Coach Deke (Adams) is a great coach, but the professor really didn't get to me."

"(Cutting) Virginia Tech -- it was hard, man. (Virginia Tech defensive coordinator) Bud Foster is my favorite coach."

While football relationships will certainly be instrumental in helping Hand determine which school fits him best, they won't dictate where he winds up. That's because of a criterion his father has long maintained holds greater significance.

"It is really about the degree," Sharif Hand said. "With me being out here in the job market I understand how hard it is. I really stress to Shawn academically getting to where he can see longevity outside of football. Longevity is that degree, and that is what we always talk about. Don't pick a school because of the football program. Look at the school, look at that alumni system, and look at guys from the football team (that came) before you that have graduated. See if they are presidents or bankers. (See if) if they've got major positions in what they majored in.

"Of course he is going to look at (football) first, but I'm like that little voice on the side telling him make sure that you think about (academics) too because football is not long term. You take football as far as it is going to take you, but then you've still got the rest of your life after that."

The elder Hand still sometimes can't believe his son is the one in need such advice. It was only five years ago that Da'Shawn took to the gridiron for the first time. The then-seventh grader's inexperience was abundantly clear, but so too was his potential to be special.

"He was in Elkton, Maryland, and I went to one of his games there," recalled Sharif. "It was the first game I went to and I was making fun of him. He made a tackle and I was like, 'Come on man, that was a soft tackle! We didn't come all the way down here for that.' He looked up at me and said, 'Alright, I've got something for you.' The very next play he went out there and just leveled this kid. I was like, 'Oh my god!' Our family is competitive so I always challenge him and make him try and play a lot (harder). But when he went out there and did that, I was like, 'Wow!'"

The local buzz grew steadily in subsequent years, but it wasn't until the Army National Combine in January 2012 that the magnitude of his son's talent truly came into focus. Many of the country's top juniors descended upon San Antonio, Texas, to participate in talent-laden event, but the then-sophomore Da'Shawn Hand dominated everyone he faced.

"The San Antonio trip is what opened everything up," Sharif said. "I didn't make that trip. His mom went with him. They both came back excited and told me how well he did. I think that San Antonio trip is the one that (gave him national exposure)."

Visit from Mattison

That performance certainly caught Michigan's attention. Not long after Da'Shawn returned home from the combine, Michigan defensive coordinator Greg Mattison made his way to Woodbridge High to voice the Wolverines' interest. Up to that point the talented youngster seemed all but certain he'd wind up playing football in the south at an SEC or ACC school. But the bond he forged with Mattison helped change that view. The veteran coach had a similar effect on rest of Hand's circle when they visited Ann Arbor back in March.

Said Sharif, "When you first meet Greg you'll be like, 'Is this guy for real?' But when you are around him for a while you see that that is how he really is. That dude is real young at heart and he is a fun guy to be around. That's all I can say about him. I enjoy Greg and I hope to see him again."

The connection with Mattison has proven to be a bridge for the rest of the Wolverine brass. Upon leaving Ann Arbor, Da'Shawn reiterated an enviable distinction they collectively hold.

"It was my favorite coaching staff," he said. "A lot of charisma. They're just fun guys to be around. You can tell by looking at the players. All the players are comfortable talking to the coaches. A lot players (at different schools) say, 'Man I can't stand this coach.' Also, when practice is done they can't wait to leave. But the (Michigan) players, it seemed like they want to stay around. They don't mind being around their coaches."

The comfort level achieved with the people in Ann Arbor is certainly a major selling point, but Da'Shawn is nothing if not consistent. Relationships weren't any more effective in cementing Michigan's place on his list of finalists than they were for Virginia Tech. The Wolverines made it over the hump thanks in large part to a memorable meeting with Michigan Sports Management professor Mark Rosentraub.

"That guy was blowing us away," said Da'Shawn shortly after the visit. "The things he was talking about -- I just wanted to sit there in the class. Man! Oh my goodness, I just want to listen to him. He is a good guy to be around. To hear him talk was really amazing. He knew his stuff. The coolest things was when you walk in he has a bunch of hats from different professional teams, and all those teams are teams that he has helped build their stadiums and stuff. It was cool."

He later added: "He had me wanting to sign up right then and there."

Dad came away similarly impressed. Three months later and he is still in awe.

"There was about five of us in our entourage," remembered Sharif. "We all took to that professor. This guy had all our mouths (open). Normally when you go sit down and hear somebody talk about the major you are taking, you don't think that you'll want to really get into it; (you think) it'll be boring. But I really liked that part of it. I liked the coaching staff too. They seemed like genuine good guys. The players and the facilities and all that -- Michigan was a good trip for me."

While all that certainly bodes well for the Maize and Blue, it would be premature to declare Michigan the victor. Alabama is the reigning national champion and it too has a significant academic feather in its cap. It is the only school currently being considered for its engineering program, and the academic presentation Da'Shawn was treated to on his visit to Tuscaloosa over a year ago still resonates today.

"When I went there it was the engineering dean," Hand said of Alabama. "He is a football guy. At the time he told me about the 25 million dollar project they were doing last summer, and that was just amazing. On top of that, being a football guy is always a plus because of the academic support that you'll get."

Florida, meanwhile, is the finalist with which Da'Shawn is least familiar. He plans to change that when he travels to Gainesville in the fall.

"With Florida I heard it's a great degree," he stated. "I've got to go down there for myself and check it out. (The Gators surviving the cut) was just my interest in them. Will Muschamp, Brad Lawing -- that defensive coaching staff is just crazy. I've just got to get out there for that."

Future teammates?

Future visits to all three schools will loom large in the final analysis. At the moment he plans to put recruiting on the backburner so he can attend a few more camps and relax a little before focusing his attention on preparing for his senior season. Even so, Michigan is still working diligently to convince him to make his way back to the Great Lakes State next month for its annual Barbecue at the Big House.

"(The Michigan coaches) talked to me about it," Hand said. "Right now I don't know. Right now I'm just focused on enjoying the summer and I'm taking my officials to those schools. Then I've got two outside teams looking in. USC and LSU (will also get officials)."

If the Wolverines can persuade him to attend the barbecue, the stage would be set for more potentially beneficial interactions. One would be with incoming Michigan freshman Derrick Green, with whom he has a friendship that dates back a few years. Another would be with recent Michigan commitment Jabrill Peppers. The two five-star prospects began corresponding months before Peppers pledged to the Maize and Blue, but in recent weeks their contact has picked up steam.

"That's my man," said Hand of Peppers. "I'm originally from Philly and he's from Jersey, so we kind of have that little tri-state thing going on. But yeah, that's my dude."

Whether Peppers will also be his teammate remains to be seen. Fortunately for the coaches and fans waiting with bated breath, getting the verdict won't take long as previously anticipated.

"My goal is try to make a decision before December," Hand reported. "At first I was going to stretch it out, but then after talking with my pop -- we kind of had a heart to heart -- I kind of have to make up my mind. It's a big decision, but at the same time I kind of have a gist of knowing where I'm going, but I ain't gonna say that."

Sam Webb is managing editor of GoBlueWolverine.com and co-host of the "Michigan Insider" morning show weekdays on Sports Talk 1050 WTKA. His Michigan recruiting column appears every week at detroitnews.com. For more on U-M recruiting, visit michigan.scout.com.
  17. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +782
    I know one former Gator he should talk to. Jimmy Barr was an all SEC safety and single handedly won the f$u game his senior year, picking off a pitch in the backfield and running for a TD. Jimmy has practiced law, has been president of a large construction/development company and served as EVP for a bank.

Wonder what Brad Culpepper is doing now. His dad played football at UF as well and has had a great career in law in politics. And of course Carlos Alvarez has done quite well. I believe Gator DE Huey Richardson is still an analyst with Merrill Lynch in NYC, though I think he got his MBA from Emory.

And those are just the football players. He'll have no problem finding Gators who are successful in the fields they studied. Let's just hope he's sincere about finding out more about UF and not already sold on Michigan.
  18. gatorgoat

gatorgoat New Member

Ratings Received:
    +0
    Larry Kennedy id president of a major sporting goods/ equipment company in the carolinas.
  19. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +782
    Great for him, especially since he was a non-qualifier who originally singed with Ohio State, then came to UF after prep school, worked his butt off in the classroom and reinvented himself with the help of some very conscientious tutors, professors and academic advisors. Hand is already academically motivated. He would thrive from the get-go at UF. Great student athletes usually do. Brad Beal distinguished himself in the classroom and in labs at UF in his short time at UF.
  20. ametcalf

ametcalf Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +2
    This is good stuff!! Hope he falls in love w/ UF!