Da'Shawn Hand Down To Three

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by ETGator1, Jun 12, 2013.

1. gatorinmi

gatorinmi Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +233
    As far as campuses go I always liked Michigan State's campus better than Michigan's. I also never liked how intertwined the campus is with the town and how many buildings and departments seems off campus. When it comes to game day Michigan is by far the worst atmosphere I've ever been to.
  2. qwghlmgator

qwghlmgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +183
    Throwing love to the Big 10 is the new college hipsterism. "If you don't love the top Big 10 campuses then you really know nothing about higher education..." It's sooo played and sad. Save it for people who gives a flip.

Georgia, Ole Miss, UF and Bama's campuses all easily distance the best Big 10 has to offer with the exception of Wisconsin. Indiana would be a decent SEC campus, but Northwestern and Michigan? City campuses that are too urban to be really distinctive or welcoming. And don't even try to talk about post-industrial crapholes like Illinois, Purdue and Ohio State. You must love USC. NYU must be your dream campus.

And Florida would be "in the bottom half of the Big 10" academically? Do you think trashing UF makes you look cool and objective? UF's clearly behind Michigan, Wisconsin and Northwestern. Maybe Illinois, but it's close. That puts us fourth or fifth at worst - not bottom half.
  3. StrangeGator

StrangeGator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,625
    Not new hipsterism. The Big 10 is my home. I spent much of the last few years researching and visiting campuses for my twins, neither of whom ended up on Big 10 campuses. FWIW, my daughter applied to two SEC schools. I hate USC. I celebrated when she was wait-listed by NYU. Agree that UofI, Purdue and OSU are crap holes. Love UF, but I don't like the way it's been managed over the past decade or two. It's still a great school, but it has slipped and other publics have moved up. I can be honest about how I feel and still love the Gators.

All that said, Hand should come to UF. The gap between UF's academics and Michigan's is not as great as the gap between the football programs and the opportunity he has at UF. The gap between SEC football and Big 10 football is huge. You could take a nap at a Big 10 football game. You're lucky if you can even sit down during some SEC games. Bama is a legit choice, but he won't get on the field as soon and that would be a big compromise academically. If he's that serious a student, he should come to UF. He's too good a football player to go to Michigan.
  4. phideltdj

phideltdj Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +833
    Did you just put Wisconsin in there...LOL! My brother went to Wisconsin and he couldn't come close to getting into UF. We are from Illinois and Wisconsin was a joke college like Kansas to go to. Iowa and Indiana are good but again not on UF's academic level. Northwestern and Michigan are top notch but please don't compare those others to UF.
  5. friscogator

friscogator VIP Member

Ratings Received:
    +167
    Any one who believes Florida would rank in the bottom half of the Big 10 would have to be blind.
  6. gator1986

gator1986 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +570
    UF at the bottom of academics in the big ten?!? Lay off the pipe man.... Florida is what, #120 out of world institutions?

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandr...ges/rankings/national-universities/top-public

Behind Michigan and Wisconsin ahead of Ohio St... Bottom half? Be serious... Which I do not find this entirely true since one of my good friends sister Nicole, couldn't get into UF but got accepted to Michigan.

Also Florida is I believe #70 between Public and private... I believe that's what I read..
  7. DeBigLeezard

DeBigLeezard Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +485
    My sister in law tried gaining entrance into Florida, Ole Miss, LSU, Georgia Tech, South Carolina, Climpsen.... and other schools in the South.

Could not get even a sniff from any of these schools.

Even the Clown College...FSU would not allow her entrance.

You know who let her in?
    Alabama...
    Then, after a year, she flunked out of Bubba Gump's school...
  8. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +112
    Yeah, but can she rush the passer?
  9. canadian_gator

canadian_gator Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +151
    Ann Arbors campus is right on par with gville's. Been to both plenty. Can't say I really favor one over the other. Although the big house isn't really on campus as much as the swamp is. The big house is about a mile or 2 from the heart of the campus, something which I've always disliked. And gville has the weather of course :D
  10. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,625
    FWIW, World University Rankings

#19 Northwestern
    #20 Michigan
    #31 Wisconsin
    #33 Illinois
    #47 Minnesota
    #53 Ohio State
    #61 Penn State
    #69 Purdue
    #94 Michigan State
    #122 UF

US News US Rankings

#12 Northwestern
    #29 Michigan
    #41 Wisconsin
    #46 Penn State
    #46 Illinois
    #54 UF

Bottom half, middle, whatever you want to call it. The Big 10 is an elite group of mostly public universities. I'm sure people get into Wisconsin that don't get into UF, but there aren't 19 million people in Wisconsin and selectivity ratings are heavily skewed by the population in Florida and by the fact that UF limits out of state freshman admissions at 8%. Wisconsin is 40% and allows Minnesotans in-state status. That's one of the three best public school systems in the country.

FWIW, my kids' academic advisors knew nothing about UF. UF admissions' outreach has dropped off the map. We needed info for disabilities support and got zero info. My kids got letters from almost every school in the SEC except UF. The University of Florida is invisible up here, except for sports. More kids from my kids' high school apply to Miami than UF. The only time UF comes to Chicago is to get money from alum. They do nothing to promote the university to prospective students. I'm a Gator for life, but they needed to sell my kids and my wife. They did nothing. They obviously don't care about you if you're not an in-state student, unless you're an elite athlete. That's not a formula for success.
  11. StrangeGator

Ratings Received:
    +1,625
    Let's keep it about football. That's what we've got until you get a new governor and a broader economic base.
  12. crl

crl Member

Ratings Received:
    +18
    I'm not a fan of UF's administration and their admissions department in particular by any means, but I don't have a problem with them not reaching out to out of state students as the school already has too many students and way too many wanting to get in. The number of really high quality in state students that get rejected is ridiculous.
  13. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +6,024
    He meant 'Michigan blows'. :grin:

All kidding aside, I hope he decides to come to the Sunshine State and play for Florida.
  14. Tolbert1906

Tolbert1906 Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +178
    Georgia, Ole Miss, and Bama have nicer campuses than UF. I wouldn't say they easily distance the best the Big 10 has to offer, but they are probably just as nice.

UF, however, doesn't compare favorably to the best campuses in the Big 10. Northwestern not only has one of the nicest campuses in the Big 10, it has one of the most beautiful college campuses in the country. I don't see how anyone with any objectivity could visit and say it isn't a nice place (if you've never been, you can go to Google maps and do Campus View, which is basically an on-campus version of Street View). Sorry, but Northwestern blows UF out of the water, as does Michigan State and Indiana. Penn State, Wisconsin, and Purdue have nice campuses as well. UF could be bottom half in the Big 10, maybe even bottom half in the SEC (LSU, Alabama, Ole Miss, Georgia, Auburn, Arkansas, Missouri, and Vandy are arguably nicer).

And UF certainly isn't getting any prettier. They just destroyed one of the most beautiful parts of campus (the tree-filled section at University and 13th) to cram yet another building into an area that's already too cramped: http://www.facilities.ufl.edu/prjdocs/00001582.jpg. Also, have you seen the Reitz Union? or Turlington Hall? The Tolbert dorm area or any of the post-WWII dorms? McCarty Hall? The music building? Architecture building? Beaty Towers? The Hub? Marston and CSC? Grinter Hall? Little Hall? Fine Arts? Those are all the embodiment of godawful, ugly-ass architecture. UF's tree canopy is what really makes it nice, and it is being slowly eliminated to make way for even more ugly buildings. Whoever does the campus planning at UF continues to disappoint.

Look at my signature below. That was taken in the 1960s, I think. What stands behind Mr. Murphree now is the horrible, hideous Criser Hall.
  15. crl

crl Member

Ratings Received:
    +18
    You're smoking crack if you think Alabama's campus is better than Florida's and Tuscaloosa is a pit compared to G'ville.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. GATORAZ

GATORAZ Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +1,942
    Hand is not going to care about how the campus looks
  17. trustamerica

trustamerica Active Member

Ratings Received:
    +14
    Hand is making a 3 year layover for training in route to the NFL!
  18. 1984Gator

1984Gator Well-Known Member

Ratings Received:
    +175
    I doubt Hand is in it for superior academics. What Michigan has going against it is it is in Michigan, a huge negative and also Michigan is in a weak conference. Bama and Florida should have the upper hand but it will come down to depth charts in my opinion.
  19. 1984Gator

Ratings Received:
    +175
    If that's the case then Michigan will be 3rd choice.
  20. 1984Gator

Ratings Received:
    +175